Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain J.H Pritchard HAC - Burial HAC Cemetery 23.4.13

ianw

"Seaforth - the group I was with were staying in the same hotel as the relations of Captain Pritchard. I did not personally talk to Mark but one of my mates did that evening and told him what a fantastic job he had done in returning the sword. I think it made him quite emotional. I know the family really appreciated it as well."

Hi Neil,

Delighted to see that your mates met up with Mark at the hotel and found out who he was. Mark related to me before he left America how he was quite pleased to be able to restore the sword to family for this event and meet the Captain's decendants. We are both sword collectors and so talk quite a lot of what we acquired from time to time. I read somewhere that Pritchard left the sword to a relative who later emigtrated to America after the war, so no doubt this stayed here until now.

How apt.

Thank you.

S78

When I watched the news broadcasts I thought that the return of the sword was one of the most remarkable stories of this whole event. Even more so now that you have pointed out that not only was your friend able to reunite it due to this forum but also that he attended the funeral service. An honorable man amidst the Honourable Artillery Company! Here's a photo he might like;

post-97771-0-12417200-1367008962_thumb.j

Yes, thank you. Your comments will make quite happy and will duly forward to this thread to him. Truly a remarkable event given the circumstances.

S78

I was at the Prowse point burials a few years ago, there was about eight of them all dressed up as Lancashire Fusiliers. I thought it was a distraction, but if it floats their boat, so be it.

I overheard them afterwards, and the officer was talking to a Private, as if he was in real life, "Private, come here" and such like.

I just pitied them, and probably their long suffering wives.

We turned up at H.A.C. Cemetery on the 24th - my last Buxton Memorial casualty, Pt. W.E. Bennett, is buried there, so just missed the re-burials. Having just returned to the U.K. i thought I'd look up the thread - pity I didn't do it before we went!

Anyway thought colleagues would like a photo of the new area in the Cemetery.

Graham

post-37838-0-17968900-1367168207_thumb.j