Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference and Dinner 2011

AlanCurragh

I can see no reason why there shouldn't be a periodic conferences in France or Belgium but think that the main annual conference should be in the UK given the preponderance of UK Forum members. It would be great if someone would organise a conference focussing on a specific Western Front subject/area and base the conference close-by - this would allow a conference visit to points of interest after the presentations.

Whilst having no objections to the idea I can't help feeling that this is something the WFA might be better doing. One of the great things about the 2010 do was that there was something for almost everybody

The forum's first-ever meeting took place in Belgium. At Varlet Farm, to be precise. I think it would be excellent to arrange such a thing again, if not perhaps on the same scale as the Birmingham conference.

Chris when I posted my question I was also thinking of Charlotte's Varlet Farm. I am sure a timely block reservation could be arranged.

Put me in for that

Given the excellent and resourceful Forum Pals that we have based in Europe, I have no doubt that a European conference could be very successful - they would have the draw of the location working for them. Someone would have to bite the bullet and have a stab at organising one.

The very nature of the Forum lends itself to organising such an international event - on a small scale, using the Forum, I organised an Ypres dinner for the Menin Gate buglers in very short order with donations from all over the planet. I suspect the Forum leads the WFA significantly in this area. In my opinion , there is certainly room in the year for a UK conference and an "away-day" conference but they need separate local organisation - that doesn't mean that there might not be linkage on the subjects areas discussed/visited. Indeed, this could be quite attractive by way of having a "home" and "away" leg, so to speak.

Yes, I agree that Varlet Farm could be a good venue - a warm welcome would be guaranteed and there is a base level of accomodation to kick off with.

how many could be accommodated at Varlet's farm? the other possibility might be Arras where there is no shortage of hotels.

(Edit) A spring conference in Brum, and an autumn one somewhere on the Western Front might be viable. It would be even more of a challenge to put together as we would probably have to commit much earlier to accommodation.

Keith

Put me down as an absolute definite for a conference overseas, nothing I'd love better (and I live in the 'North').

I found no problem getting to Birmingham from France, but think a meeting nearer the battlefields, with perhaps a tour or visit of some sort thrown in, is an excellent idea

cheers Martin B

... (and I live in the 'North').

I wasn't trying to suggest that everyone North of Watford is as poor as a church mouse! But I can't see that a Western Front conference can replace a UK meeting - supplement and complement - yes. Anyway these are very early days with only one UK conference completed. All ideas should be considered and the best way to evaluate a conference "over there" is to have one.

Didn't take it in that way at all Ian, I thought you were just being kind thinking of the traveling we northerners have to do!

What in that Batmobile that you have, as against my poor little red thingy.

Cheers Roger.

PH - Sorry for the misunderstanding . Yes, I am mindful of my luck in being an hour from Dover all on motorways and how difficult it is to get to the Western Front from say Northern Ireland or Scotland- but I know that Pals do these trips with pleasure following in the footsteps of men who journey was so much harder.

What in that Batmobile that you have, as against my poor little red thingy.

Cheers Roger.

I'm sorely tempted to say soething about your poor little red thingy, but will resist temptation.

But James says black ones are always better than red ones :whistle:

But James says black ones are always better than red ones :whistle:

Must be talking about Jelly Babies :hypocrite:

Grant

Very interesting points - but I would see a Varlet Farm (for example) conference in addition to the UK one - and I think it is a brilliant idea.

Will post a bit more about 2011 in a few days - but just to confirm, I think you can safely mark off 2nd April 2011 at the Tally Ho in your diary....

Alan

I think you can safely mark off 2nd April 2011 at the Tally Ho in your diary....

Alan

I might have to miss that one - it's my birthday. :(

Roy

Dear Roy

That is no sort of an excuse.....unless you want to miss us all singing to you at lunchtime!

:lol:

Bruce

• Admin
I might have to miss that one - it's my birthday. :(

Roy

Roy,

No excuse at all,the Conference this year was held on my birthday. No one sang though!

Michelle

Had we known you were celebrating your 24th birthday, I'm sure our rendition of Happy Birthday would have been quite raucus!

:hypocrite:

Bruce

• Admin

:w00t:

Michelle

Gannet on a stick?

Bruce

Hello,

I have been informed by a pal that the GWF would like to know how many guests we can currently accommodate. With our 2 new rooms in running order we can now accommodate maximum 22 people when all rooms are taken to maximum capacity.( 2 triple, 2 double , 4 twin bedded rooms all en-suite, and the family unit) Needless to say that it would be my pleasure to welcome the group again :many of the Great War forum pals I have seen on regular basis, other will be new faces to me...

If there would be anything else you need to know, please contact me again. I will provide you with information with pleasure.

I am really wondering how it will all work out...

Best wishes,

charlotte

• 2 weeks later...

I've now confirmed the booking of the Tally Ho for the conference for next year - 2nd April 2011. The format will likely be the same as this year - and a couple of very distinguished forum members have volunteered to be speakers.

More details to follow, and I'll start asking for deposits later in the year

Alan