Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference and Dinner 2011

AlanCurragh

Pencil me in, and I'll work on an airfare!!

Pencil me in, and I'll work on an airfare!!

Can you work on my airfare as well and transfers ,accomod...........

I sure it will be another great success

MC

• Admin

Will be seeking alternative accommodation for next year...............

Michelle

Which accommodation did you both go for? (so we know which one not to get next year)

Kensington - I concur - I've stayed in worse hotels - but this is Birmingham not Yemen or Nigeria - I expect more.

I will be there!!

Regards Doug

Kensington - I concur - I've stayed in worse hotels - but this is Birmingham not Yemen or Nigeria - I expect more.

It was much worse a few years ago!

"Sacre Bluer, Sapristi Nucoo" (Count Moriaty)

Blimey, must have been bad. Our stay was grim - will definitely stay somewhere else next year.

Count me in for 2011

I will attempt to come next year.

I'd like to sell a few books too.

Great forum and good to see this event going ahead.

Stephen

Will be there again. Must organise another course around the weekend so that MOD can pay one way again. :ph34r:

Jim

Which accommodation did you both go for? (so we know which one not to get next year)

The Post House Broadway Plaza - not at all impressed. The whole place was jaded, the room cold and noisy, I still have bruised elbows from the bijou shower room and nobody mentioned the parking charges when I booked. The breakfast was overpriced as well. Mind you, I found the staff very helpful and friendly.

Since it's already obvious there are going to be quite a few of us, I wonder whether it would be worth trying for a group booking at one of the hotels people found acceptable? I would have thought there would be a call for at least 30 rooms next year and that ought to make any hotel manager's ears ***** up.

Keith (Edit: Gawd save us from automatic word checkers!)

I'll definitely attend, and this time would stay over. Alan, well done with getting the booking in early.

Charles F

Can I recommend the Strathallan Hotel on the Hagley Road, less than 10 minutes from Tally Ho. We booked 30 rooms for a family get together and the feedback was all satisfactory from everyone.

It's also well worth checking out Laterooms.com you can get some cracking deals if you try and book the week of the stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to stray a bit off topic, but - I thought we discussed in 2009 the next GWF conference -after the initial 2010- supposed to be in Flanders or Somme in order to have non islanders from France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Netherlands and Germany attend the conference?

I can see no reason why there shouldn't be a periodic conferences in France or Belgium but think that the main annual conference should be in the UK given the preponderance of UK Forum members. It would be great if someone would organise a conference focussing on a specific Western Front subject/area and base the conference close-by - this would allow a conference visit to points of interest after the presentations.

Personally, I would be equally likely to attend an event in the centre of the UK or on the Western Front as I am pretty much equidistant from both. However, it would be difficult for some UK members in the North of England, Scotland and Ireland to contemplate a specific trip abroad for a conference. Many can only afford one trip over a year to pursue their own immediate interests.

Of course, these things take some organising and I wonder if there are any good folk who might be able to put something together in France or Belgium for the Autumn of 2011?

The Spring conference could be in the UK with a second bite of the cherry "over there" later in the year.