Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. Ralph Drayton

annestormont

I have come aross the medal card of a relative (I am researching the Drayton side of my family) He was in the

Dorset Royal Flying Corp. and the Royal Air Force from 1915 to 1922. Can anyone help with any more information?

Would his service record be available? Where would they be kept?

His name was Ralph Drayton, born 1897 in Hampshire. His card does not appear to have a service number on it.

Any help would be much appreciated . Thankyou. Anne Stormont

Anne

An RAF officer's service record for Ralph - Drayton, birthdate 2 December 1896, is at AIR 76/140 at the

National Archives (available online at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...line/air76.asp). This would be the Ralph - Drayton

whose birth was registered at Christchurch, Hampshire, in December, 1896 (as listed in Births, Marriages,

& Deaths, England & Wales). Ancestry.com has a 1901 Census listing for him, as well. There is also a

death listing on Ancestry.com for a Ralph - Drayton in 1936, but I don't know if this is the same man.

Regards

Trelawney

His Medal Index Card is unlikely to be online, these are War Office documents and only show a tiny fraction of the men who were in the RFC or RAF. The RAF have yet to release their MICs to the public.

Anne,

Looks like he was an MC which may make the hunt easier. On this page on the Flight Archive site

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%200602.html

he appears as "R. Drayton, M.C. (Lieut, Dorset R. SR), and to be Hon. Lieut."

There is a highly detailed book out there on air MCs of WW1 - someone from the Forum may have it and he may/should be in there.

Regards,

Trevor

Thank you all for your comments and help. I found Ralph's medal card on Ancestry and his service record on line at the archives at Kew. Really thrilled to have found out so much in just a few hours! He went to Bournemouth School and they have information too. Also found him mentioned in the Times for gallantry, and receiving the Military Cross. Sadly he died in 1937 - only 40. Again, wouldn't have found all this without help from this great site. Thank you. Anne

Archived