Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

President of Ireland on visit to Gallipoli today.

irishmen1916

President Mary McAleese is to visit Gallipoli today in what will be the first official recognition by the State of the loss of over 3,000 Irish soldiers in the British Army in WWI.

They died over six months in 1915 in a failed attempt by the Allies - whose key members included Britain, France and the Russian Empire - to secure the approaches to Istanbul and the Black Sea.

President McAleese will first visit the Turkish memorial to their fallen before travelling the short distance to V beach where many Irish died.

AdvertisementThe visit has been a long time coming for those who have been campaigning for the recognition of the role played by Irish soldiers in the British Army.

Groups such as the Dublin Fusiliers and Somme Associations are unstinting in their praise of President McAleese, who has made the issue a centrepiece of her two terms.

Ireland to seems to be very lucky in having some very fine presidents in recent years

Ireland to seems to be very lucky in having some very fine presidents in recent years

Yes Chris we have had a lot of fine one's, I just got the lunch time news here and by the sound

of it she made a good speech. I will have a look for it and post it.

Peter

President Mary McAleese is to visit Gallipoli today in what will be the first official recognition by the State of the loss of over 3,000 Irish soldiers in the British Army in WWI.

There appears to be a consensus that at least 35,000 died though the figure on the National War Memorial is 49,400. It is difficult to get a precise figure for the number of Irishmen killed, as not everyone in an Irish Regiment was Irish, and equally well many Irishmen joined English or Scottish Regiments.

I assume you mean 3000 died at Gallipoli. I have searched in vain for a figure for Gallipoli deaths among the Irish, but have not managed to get a reliable figure

I am delighted that 'official' Ireland can now openly honour and respect the valiant efforts of our forefathers.

Sadly my grand father a Royal Munster Fusilier felt he could never return to Ireland , and settled happily in the UK . He was always proud to be an Irishman .

This is true progress.

Shelagh Barry .County Waterford

Micheal Pegum of this Parish posted a photograph of men of the Dublin Fusaliers who went to Gallipoli. You can find it if you serach for Browning, but I don't quite know how to post a link to it.

Most of the men in the photograph failed to return.

I assume you mean 3000 died at Gallipoli. I have searched in vain for a figure for Gallipoli deaths among the Irish, but have not managed to get a reliable figure

Not very scientific and doesn't answer the question but setting sdgw to

Gallipoli and going through all the Irish Regiments gives a total of 2743.

Balkans - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 3398.

Its good to see that the contribution, death and sufferering of the Irish regiments are being fully recognised by their government as historically it has not always been politically correct to do so. Some time ago I downloaded and started to listen to the RTE lectures below which were recommended by Desmond7 on this forum. Even if you are not Irish (I'm Scots) the lectures open your eyes to the complex and difficult position these Irishmen found themselves in.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_greatwar.xml

Glen

Micheal Pegum of this Parish posted a photograph of men of the Dublin Fusaliers who went to Gallipoli.

Most of the men in the photograph failed to return.

Here it is (Post No. 10 in the thread): Dublin Pals.

Frank Browning did not survive the war either; he was killed during the 1916 Rebellion. Sgt. Major Guest did survive.

Photographs of the unveiling and of the memorial itself can be seen at New memorial

Michael

The text of President McAleese's speech at Green Hill Cemetery can be read at http://www.president.ie/index.php?section=...79〈=eng

She has made a significant contribution in Ireland to bringing the memory of the Irish war dead back into the Irish consciousness.

Along with Michael Pegum, members of the RDFA and of the Somme Association, I was privileged to attend the functions and visits of the Irish President while she was on Gallipoli recently. Her remarks at the luncheon, co-hosted by the Governor of Chanakkale and the Ambassador of Ireland, were also worthy of note and in particular I would like to share with you her closing paragraph

"I am here to honour Turkey's sons and Ireland's sons, all victims of the world's complex history. The Great War was to prove the pivotal period of the modern age in Anglo-Irish relations. The Irish who fell here also fell victim to Ireland's complex history. Those who died here or returned to Ireland were diminished in the national consciousness of the new State that emerged as a result of the War of Independence instituted against the British Empire by their friends, neighbours and families while they were away at war. The war tested allegiances and identities leaving a legacy of fracture and fragmentation that Ireland is only now beginning to come to terms with. Today we revisit the story of those young men of ours who confronted and were confronted by those young men of yours. Between them they made history and they changed history. We meet as friends, as good and firm friends, a joy, a blessing and a privilege they were never to know in their short lives. As we approach the Centenary Anniversary of those times we recall them all with compassion, we acknowledge their place in our story and in our memory, a memory that links Ireland and Turkey in sadness and sacrifice. I thank you for the opportunity to commemorate and honour that memory and that sacrifice. Go raibh mile maith agaibh go léir."

A great lady and a great day for us all

Before President McAleese unveiled the memorial plaque to the 10th (Irish) Division [seen here] there was an Act of Remembrance at Green Hill CWGC Cemetery. Dr. Ian Adamson OBE bade us welcome. The Rev Geoffrey Evans led the prayers. The Exhortation was said by Major General David The O'Morchoe, CB, CBE, President of the RBL ROI. The Last Post was sounded, followed by the Silence, and then by Reveille and a Piper's Lament. Lt Col. P A J Walker of 2nd Battalion the Royal Irish Regiment read 'The Irish at Gallipoli' by Francis Ledwidge. Following the wreath laying by President McAleese, others wreaths were then laid representing each of the regiments of the 10th (Irish) Division at Gallipoli, and various communities on the island of Ireland. Then three 'Letters Home' written from Gallipoli by Irish soldiers, were read by Mrs Carol Walker, Mr Nicholas Broughall and Mr Robert McKinley.

Some of my photographs

GreenHill24Mar2010HEtheIrishPreside.jpg

H E the President of Ireland was attended members of the Diplomatic Corps and by British and Irish officers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

GreenHill24Mar2010theflags.jpg

The Colours

GreenHill24Mar2010BuglerTrumpeterPi.jpg

The Bugler, the Trumpeter and the Piper

GreenHill24Mar2010CO2ndRIRegt.jpg

The Rev Evans and Col Walker

GreenHill24Mar2010wreathlaying.jpg

Following that laid by President McAleese, the laying of the other wreaths was led by

Maj. Gen. David The O'Morchoe CB, CBE.

GreenHill24Mar2010DrIAdamsonOBE.jpg

Dr Adamson, who opened, led and closed the Act of Remembrance, before inviting H E Mary McAleese to unveil and dedicate the new plaque to the officers and men of the 10th (Irish) Division

GreenHill24Mar2010piperflagsdepart.jpg

The Colours depart

GreenHillthedayafterthe24Mar2010.jpg

A day or two later, and all is still

GreenHilllookingdownfromChocolateHi.jpg

Looking down from Chocolate Hill towards Green Hill and the front line of 1915

Great photos thanks so much for posting them

perhaps I'll get there some day.....

Isdore