Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1916 Tri-Colour Flag

BrendanLee

est. $500000 – $700000

Unsold

There was an interesting item on RTE television last night which suggested the flag may not be genuine, historian Lorcan Collins suggested the condition of the flag was too good to have been flying on top of the GPO during the fighting.. The same flag also failed to sell at an auction in Whites 4 years ago.

There was an interesting item on RTE television last night which suggested the flag may not be genuine, historian Lorcan Collins suggested the condition of the flag was too good to have been flying on top of the GPO during the fighting.. The same flag also failed to sell at an auction in Whites 4 years ago.

I have a feeling that this flag may have been taken of a Voluteer after the rising, or found during a search of buildings or home's which followed.

Peter

peter,

did i see a photograph of a group of british officers holding" the" "flag" [tricolour ?] that had flown over the g.p.o. they were standing at the parnell monument in upper o`connell st [sackville].

mike.

peter,

did i see a photograph of a group of british officers holding" the" "flag" [tricolour ?] that had flown over the g.p.o. they were standing at the parnell monument in upper o`connell st [sackville].

mike.

post-53649-1269517836.jpg

I think the picture you are thinkink about is the one above showing the Irish Republic Flag which does look like it has suffered a battle.

thanks bl,

is this the same photo that the officer in the centre next to the flag is holding dev`s [or someone else]revolver ? or am i thinking of another photo.

mike.

I always wondered if they chose this location for the photo deliberately or by chance, given the inscription on the monument.

I took a group of students to Dublin a few years an we had a great time wandering the city rephotographing a selection of twenty or so pictures from the Easter Rising. It was a good way to get the students involved and to grips with the geography of the Rising. It took us a while to identify this location as the copies of the picture I ad at the time did not indicate where it was.

Chris

thanks bl,

is this the same photo that the officer in the centre next to the flag is holding dev`s [or someone else]revolver ? or am i thinking of another photo.

mike.

There is an interesting mystery about Dev's revolver. Some historians claim that he gave it to a captive Cadet at the time he surrended (Cadet McKay if I recall right) urging the said cadet to give it to his son, Vivian. However there is no authentic source for that story and it is unlikely to be true. The cadet himself was taken into custody at the same time as the other rebels surrendered as the arresting troops (from the Lincolnshire Regt) thought that he too was a rebel. It is unlikely they would have left him armed. The same cadet, in later years wrote to Dev, now President of Ireland, congratulating him on becoming president and reminding him of the time he was his prisoner. He makes no mention of the revolver.

I believe that Capt. Hitzton of the Lincolnshire Regiment took the weapon. This is supported by a story that when Hitzen was invited to the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Rising, by the now President Dev, he came into the Presidental House, saluted Dev and handed the weapon back to him. It is now in the possession of Dev's grandson, Judge Eamon Devalera.