Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Hesketh

Andrew Hesketh

Being unwilling to part with £3.50 at the moment, could anyone tell me how I should read the following:

Royal Engineers WR/319239 Sapper

King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 41139 Sapper

Royal Engineers 318803 Sapper

Does it mean he started as WR/319239 RE? Or does this order imply the opposite. i.e. he began as 318803 RE?

I'm just wondering which way round the transcribers have arranged things.

Thanks.

Well, I assumed that they were in chronological order. First entry is first unit, last entry is last unit. Perhaps someone will tell us if that's wrong.

Chris,

I assume the same, but following on from other threads about the MIC's I thought I ought to be sure.......... :huh:

I have found them chronological, reverse chronological and totally mixed up, so I don't think you can read anything at all into the order they appear on the MIC.

I have also found instances where a territorial has a four digit number, then a six digit number with his infantry battalion and then appears to have the same six digit number when he transfers to another corps, RE, Labour Corps etc. I suspect that can't be right, but I don't really know.

Ken

Oh, bu :o :o er.

I had this nasty feeling someone was going to say this. Is this just incompetence or a PRO plot to get us to use our plastic cards?

No comment! :lol:

I too have noticed that either the chronological order on the MICs is completely messed up or there were an inordinate number of men being demoted or bouncing from one regiment to another and back again.

I guess the only way to find out if it's a conspiracy is to check a fair proportion of the actual MICs and see the corolation with the chronology on the online versions.

Remember, this is a government operation so anything can be expected! :ph34r:

Matthew