Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference Lessons

centurion

Or Haig versus Fergie - studies in intemperance. On a more serious point a after dinner speaker would be a good idea.

I fear an after-dinner speaker would have an uphill struggle, after the wine has flowed a bit, unless the title was something like, "Songs of the trenches" in which case we could all join in!

Bruce

Bryn - re maps - I wasn't having a cheap pop at you - its just that any complicated diagram doesn't work well in front of an audience. The number of times I've sat through a presentation where the speaker has a slide of a seismic trace of the geophysics of an oil field (difficult to understand even when printed on a four metre long sheet) and spends the entire session peering at it because its so condensed even he can't read it (and doesn't hear the thump of members of his audience falling sideways off their chairs in a coma). Your presentation worked fine even without maps but I think that very simplified ones would have been better.

I didn't see your comments as a cheap pop but as legitimate criticism. I only wanted to note the costs associated with production of handouts or, indeed, variations of existing maps (mine came as images from the publisher). One other point though is that, of course, I (like most others) hadn't seen the space before the conference - it was a big room! A tribute to Alan, who is obviously planning to double attendances in future years. If only some football chairmen had his perspicacity...

The maps were very useful from my point of view - e.g the map excellently pointed up Bryn's comments on how the battle was affected by the failure to take Flesquieres and the importance of the canal feature. Pictures worth a thousand words etc.

However, I was in the front row risking a dogfight with Mr Hart and Mr Brown's lethal assaults so that I could read the screen! Perhaps those at the back needing a table for their pints and bowls of twiglets should bring opera glasses.

But it is a big barn of a room and a few larger images of the relevant sections of the maps should solve the legibility problem. I would recommend that all speakers give attention to deploying a few arresting images. Obviously Bryn has an easy time because everyone loves a tank picture (even if it's broken down, trackless and militarily ineffective). Pics do add a scene setting dynamic to a presentation.

On a more serious point a after dinner speaker would be a good idea.

I absolutely agree with this point. Peter and Bryn were in good form on our table and very entertaining. obviously there is an optimum time for someone to get on their hind-legs

(whilst they can still physically do it and string a semi-coherent sentence together, I suppose.)

It would have been a nice way to round things off and finally thank the tireless organisers. (nearly typed tire the tankless organisers then!)

Regarding the room, it was chosen in the hope of a 100+ attendance - there were in fact 75 or so. But I think we've all learnt lessons for next time - this really will be an invaluable thread

I am sure there will be 100+ next time around as those that missed out will be eager not to again in the future.

There have indeed been good ideas for a few "tweaks" to build on the success of the event.

Gentlemen (and ladies) abed in England (and elsewhere) will think themselves accurs'd they didn't hear my pearls of wisdom upon that day...

Just to say I was one of those at the back sitting at the table with my pint and twiglets, and I could quite clearly see the map and hear the speakers when they were away from the mike. :P

Regards Doug

Twiglets; curse your eyes. Where was mine :P

I got round the maps problem by looking at them in Bryn's book, of which I had previously bought a copy and brought to the conference to have it signed :) Otherwise with the laser light thingy not working I was having a problem

cheers Martin B

Perhaps people would like to buy copies of the book in anticipation of me doing a talk somewhere else and their potential attendance at that talk?

I'm sure I can do some kind of arrangement...

Just dug out my old WFA seminar programmes and thought they might offer a few ideas. It was a whole weekend do, so obviously differs somewhat.

Friday

Arrival and check into room, pick up programme, pick up quiz sheet

Mingle, bar, booksellers

First talk (each speaker was introduced by a different chairman for the session, and there was time for questions afterward)

Dinner

Bar

Saturday

Breakfast

First talk

Coffee

Second talk

Lunch

Afternoon at leisure (this was dropped later on and another talk substituted) but many people used to nip up to town, to Brecon or even Hay on Wye (seminar was held at Abergavenny)

Third Talk

Dinner

Evening entertainment (films, Tony Noyes' wurlitzer of slides and music, a performance etc) and Bar

Sunday

Breakfast

Thanks and notices, quiz results

First Talk

Coffee

Second Talk

Lunch

Depart

I am sure there will be 100+ next time around as those that missed out will be eager not to again in the future.

There have indeed been good ideas for a few "tweaks" to build on the success of the event.

I've turned a Shrek-like hue of green with envy having read this fine thread. I, for one, will be attending next year - come hell or high water.

Those weekends suggested by Mr Rat (last in March or first in April 2011) - how soon can they be set in stone?