Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference Lessons

centurion

I am not sure that we need a theme for the Conference, just top line speakers.

There are so many areas that I know nothing about, and in which I would find interest. Although we had a speaker on the air war, the Navy didn't get a mention last weekend. I would like to hear about Italy, Salonika, Mespot, Palestine, East Africa, for instance. Then there is the whole area of the war at home. All of our speakers were male....how about a female voice? Civilians under German occupation? Nursing? Advances in surgery? The role of the Americans? Russia, both before Brest Litovsk and afterwards.

The list goes on and on.

Personally, I will be at the next Conference, come Hell or high water, whoever the speakers are, and on whatever topics, but I feel that it is the quality of speaker that is the draw, rather more than the subject. The company of the Pals last Saturday was such that I will stay for two nights next year, so as to enjoy a Friday evening there too. I just totally enjoyed the last one,and am looking forward to the next.

Bruce

Well said Bruce, I think you speak for the majority of us when you say that attendance at any event that may be organised next year is a given.

The overall message is that quality speakers are always the main driver and attraction. As regards the balance sheet and attendance, I would hope that attendance might grow at any future conference and be used to continue to attract speakers of quality - but of course, we should always go for real quality rather than celebrity for its own sake.

With Bruce & Ian on this one its the quality not the content that matters. Will also attempt to stay over on Friday evening next year. I quite like the idea of getting rodent bottomed with fellow GWF members

I laughed out loud at that!

First time I have seen "rodent bottomed" on screen!!!

:lol:

Bruce

When the next event is arranged, could it please not be on 'Super Saturday' for the Rugby 6 Nations!

Thanks

Martin

What do rodent's do with their bottoms which is so special then? :o:lol:

I'm looking forward to the answer to this one! :P

Roy

I will keep it simple in future; rat arsed

I shot myself in the foot a little by leaving myself a 20 minute drive away from my hotel - but then again I was up bright eyed and bushy tailed on Sunday morning having managed only a swift aditional nightcap before the hotel bar closed at midnight.

When the next event is arranged, could it please not be on 'Super Saturday' for the Rugby 6 Nations!

Thanks

Martin

Martin - this is a fair point - but when are the dates actually announced? I can't find them on the web

In general, I think the best date is a Saturday round about the end of March, but not coinciding with the Easter holidays. That suggests either 26th March or 2nd April. I know it sounds silly to be thinking about dates so soon, but these things do get booked up.

It looks as if these are the dates

Six Nations

5-6 February

12-13 February

25-26 February

12-13 March

19 March

Cheers

keith

Thanks Keith - 26th March and 2nd April look reasonable then

What do rodent's do with their bottoms which is so special then? :o:lol:

Now, now you lot. Behave!

...and can we leave out the references to rodent bottoms please! :blush:

c.If a pointing device is to be used check that it is working and provide a spare.

I agree with your points - but a battle without maps would be even harder. Solution is probably (costly) handouts.

Regarding the particular criticism above. It was a freebie, given to me by a kind WFA member. It worked before the talk and after.

I rather thought it served to add weight to my point that technology is unreliable. ;)

d.Worth reminding speakers (if it isn’t teaching how to suck eggs) that complex maps don’t work in this environment

This is, of course, the origin of the expression 'Going for the Gee in Gap' (see Cambrai 1917 - a very good popular history, I'm told).

Bryn

That's a very good point, Kate - we could hear that up at the front toward the tail end of Bryn's talk. I would imagine the answer would be to have tea and coffee set up in the room where lunch was served.

Never mind the crockery! I was rattled!!!

If we wanted different speakers there are enough of us with WFA responsibilities to know who are Premier League. Two spring to mind - our very own Chris Baker and, for a Peter Hart type spot, John Bourne.

I feel like I've just been relegated! I know my away form's been erratic but I didn't think I'd go down so easily.

The concept of the 'Peter Hart (memorial?) slot' and John Bourne filling it is very amusing!

I feel like I've just been relegated! I know my away form's been erratic but I didn't think I'd go down so easily.

The concept of the 'Peter Hart (memorial?) slot' and John Bourne filling it is very amusing!

Only joking, Alan!

I feel like I've just been relegated!

Bryn,

You have to remember that the Premier League encompasses both Man U in their pomp and Portsmouth having a very bad day and Wayne Rooney knows knack all about any of the battles of 1917.

Horses for courses.

Bryn - re maps - I wasn't having a cheap pop at you - its just that any complicated diagram doesn't work well in front of an audience. The number of times I've sat through a presentation where the speaker has a slide of a seismic trace of the geophysics of an oil field (difficult to understand even when printed on a four metre long sheet) and spends the entire session peering at it because its so condensed even he can't read it (and doesn't hear the thump of members of his audience falling sideways off their chairs in a coma). Your presentation worked fine even without maps but I think that very simplified ones would have been better.

That seems to have decided the after dinner spot..

"Advances in the use of tethered balloons in artillery spotting, 1914-18......the German South-West African Experience" given by Wayne Rooney.

(Who? Ayesha)

Bruce