Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference Lessons

centurion

Yes, and perhaps encourage people to return cups to a trolley with an announcement. Sorry to give you extra duties Alan!

Some more random thoughts -

Laptops - as Bryn was talking, it did occur to me that the laptop was too far away from the lecturn - my fault. That can be better arranged for next year.

Pointers - I'll make sure I have a light pointer for next time, I'm sure they're very inexpensive.

Microphones - there actually wasn't the option of a lapel microphone at the venue : either the fixed one that was used, or a roving hand held one.

The badges - yes, they didn't stick very well, did they? They were definitely the low cost option - a few pages of labels we had lying around the house. I thought of something more substantial, but decided not to on cost grounds - not that they would have been very much, just not free

A printed running order - good idea - I simply didn't think of it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the room layout? Was the idea of 6 or so "theatre-style" rows, with round tables at the back OK? It seemed the best set-up in view of the number of attendees - might not be practical for a much larger number of attendees though

Some good suggestions there and a couple more........

Centurian's suggestion about the presenters using radio mikes with a lapel clip - excellent. Just seen your post Magic but they might be open to persuasion.

Hand held radio mike could be used for those wishing to ask questions?

Admittedly, someone would have to dive about when the hands went up but at least we would be able to hear the questions. I am sure I speak for others who have difficulty in hearing as well as myself.

Rattling of crockery - why not ask the venue to use disposable cups?

No washing up for the venue staff either.

As regards the suggestions of some short presentations, a quiz was mentioned at one time as well, is the time element not going to constrain this?

I would support using Tally Ho! again. A great facility, central (but not for our Aussie Pals!), and well organised.

I am not sure that the mix of tables and chairs in rows worked. I realise that numbers could be an issue but the hybrid approach meant that whilst the tables seemed to be well used, there were great gaps in the seats.

Either one or the other is my suggestion.

Martin

I found the siting of the venue was good and agree it should be used again - everything all in one place and good service too, what more can you ask for.

Yes, at the front we could hear the rattling of the cups too, but I didn't find it too distracting and thankfully neither did the speakers.

The breaks were just the right length, and to be honest so was the number of speakers/subjects - I wonder how much it's possible to take in over the course of the day.

Hotel - we used the Travelodge Broadway Plaza. It was basic but acceptable - you get what you pay for.

The only suggestion I'd make (apart from having big, soft, comfy seats - saves the old bottom!!) is, as the speakers were off centre I found being faced forward and then turning your head in the direction of the speaker gave me a rather sore neck and shoulders. I'd suggest either centralising the lectern or positioning the chairs around the lectern better ('L' shaped or semi-circular).

Labels - ours stayed put, perhaps it was because they were stuck to wool. Maybe use a thick black marker pen? It would be easier to read.

But these were all minor tweaks. Essentially the whole thing was well planned and ran very smoothly. If things go as well in future years I feel we shall be very lucky people indeed!!

I quite liked the mix of tables and rows of seats. It meant I didn't have to sit close to someone else trying to hold a cup and saucer in one hand and do everything else with the other - and tip coffee all over everywhere! It also meant that new groups formed and chat topics expanded automatically. If we have to get rid of the round tables because of the number of attendees (and wouldn't that be a nice headache, Ratty?) then I'd like to see rectangular tables around the edge of the room where cups can be put down while people chat. Not having tables for lunch would be a complete PITA and I'd prefer to be seated, if at all possible. That needs thinking about, depending on numbers.

The venue did an excellent job and it would be foolish to move from the Tally Ho! unless we had to.

A lapel mike would answer some problems but they don't fit well on everyone's clothing and can fall off easily. I was at a Convention last year where the mike usually ended up just dangling at the end of its cable and was worse than useless. The talks were disrupted while attempts were made to re-fix the mike but generally to no avail. Nowt's perfect! :)

My badge did stick but I had complaints (from Peter Hart!) that my handwriting was awful - that was his excuse for calling me Ken anyway! Printed labels for confirmed attendees and speakers plus some blanks for unexpected arrivals would be better.

I understand the suggestion that we should encourage people to present their research but agree with Centurion that could disrupt things quite badly if we interspersed some short talks with the normals ones. Perhaps we could do what universities do and ask for poster presentations. Not printed as posters but have more of the boards available so we can stick up half a dozen sheets and so on.

Keith

Definitely a thumbs up for the venue. We travelled up from South Wales, and it was a nice easy run in. Excellent room, and although we could not make the evening meal, having made other plans, I thought we were looked after very well.

On the other hand, a thumbs down for the accommodation. I know that some have described it as adequate, but the half decent breakfast failed to compensate for the earlier-than-planned shower we had, when the person upstairs decided to have one. That apart, look forward to next time - different hotel though !!

Cant wait for next years when do you want the deposit !! , liked the stalls would be interested to do one myself next time place was good so was the lunch i did warn people about the chairs , speakers were good dont think you will get better sound with out spending lots of cash

Thanks again to the organiser

Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r:

although there quite a few within about two miles, either in the city centre or along the Hagley Road.

I stayed at the Premier Inn on Hagley Road. It was like all Premier Inns - clean, comfy, costs a few quid more than a Travelodge (but much more comfortable bed than the Kew Bridge Travelodge - so worth it in my book). Decent brekkie.

Spotted a number of hotels (chains and independents) within a couple of hundred yards. Reasonable range of restaurants along there (took myself off for a pretty decent Indian on Friday night)

If we wanted different speakers there are enough of us with WFA responsibilities to know who are Premier League. Two spring to mind - our very own Chris Baker and, for a Peter Hart type spot, John Bourne.

One slot with members input is a good idea - our members night inviting contributions is very successful, particularly when orientated around 'stuff'.

Avoiding the 3rd Saturday in March might be helpful as last Saturday afternoon the Birmingham branch WFA was meeting across town and will meet then in 2011. I skived it despite being Secretary but I could try to get some attendees to a GWF conference. Not that would necessarily work as only Roger and myself were at Tally ho from the Birmingham Pals (honourable mention of Trench Trotter who was field walking the Somme last weekend).

If we wanted different speakers there are enough of us with WFA responsibilities to know who are Premier League. ...

Avoiding the 3rd Saturday in March might be helpful as last Saturday afternoon the Birmingham branch WFA was meeting across town ...

Excellent points - though as speaker sec for my local branch I have used Pals extensively as our guest speakers, and have yet to be disappointed. Many of them are not on the speakers list and should be.

Regarding your other point Alan, we should be working with Birmingham WFA, not accidentally setting up in competition, as I'm sure we can both gain from working together on this.

Hotel - we used the Travelodge Broadway Plaza. It was basic but acceptable - you get what you pay for.

Unless of course you are me in which case you get your money back :lol:

Cheers for the lift

If we wanted different speakers there are enough of us with WFA responsibilities to know who are Premier League. Two spring to mind - our very own Chris Baker and, for a Peter Hart type spot, John Bourne.

One slot with members input is a good idea - our members night inviting contributions is very successful, particularly when orientated around 'stuff'.

I hope this is not a WFA takeover attempt - it sounds like it - if I want WFA speakers and stuff I'll go to a WFA meeting.

We have one, repeat one, GWF conference ()it isn't a WFA monthly meeting but something else. . People go to a lot of trouble to attend and they will want a guaranteed great line up of speakers - thats exactly what we got. Why so much desire to change that?

Re Disposal Cups; please dont go down that route they are horrible

It isn't a takeover attempt Centurion. Alan is just pointing out that WFA programme organisers are very experienced, and collectively organise more WW1 events than anyone, and therefore have a wide knowledge of who to ask for a second visit.

It isn't a takeover attempt Centurion. Alan is just pointing out that WFA programme organisers are very experienced, and collectively organise more WW1 events than anyone, and therefore have a wide knowledge of who to ask for a second visit.

I was referring to "One slot with members input is a good idea - our members night inviting contributions is very successful, particularly when orientated around 'stuff'." This may be ok for a monthly branch meeting but isn't quite right for an annual conference. I haven't been to many WFA meetings so may be being unfair but I've suffered some dreadful speakers - knew their stuff but couldn't deliver - and one gathered that they were regulars.

It's interesting to read thoughts on format for next year - my immediate thought would be to use the same format, or maybe turn over one session to 4 shorter talks. But my main priority would be quality of speakers, drawn from within the GWF. I wouldn't rule out inviting someone from outside - dependent on cost

Regarding how the speakers were picked, a couple volunteered and I approached the others. I know that all were regular "turns" on the WFA circuit, and had personal recommendations for all of them. A couple of forum members also volunteered their services, and I am sorry there was no space for you. I think one of the joys of Saturday was that most of the speakers were well acquainted with each other, which led to many cross-references to each other's work in their talks. I'd hate to end up inviting speakers who have no respect for each other!

It was fairly accidental, but if there was a theme, it was on the latter stages of the war. Do folks think a theme is necessary? I personally would like something on Gallipoli next time, (I wonder who has a book out on that subject soon! :whistle: ) but a Gallipoli day would likely be too much

Re Disposal Cups; please dont go down that route they are horrible

I'll second that Chris.

I too would rather live with a modest clatter. It wasn't as intrusive as all that.

Keith

I'm with everyone else on not wanting to use paper cups.

I must admit I only noticed them during the first talk. Returning cups to the serving table, as Kate suggesed, would help with noise.

Some comments on what's been said already:

This is an annual conference not a monthly meeting - so the standard of presentations needs to be high enough to attract attendees from all over the country (or Europe!)

I don't think the idea of 4 short presentations would work - you're simply not going to get into a subject in any depth - an hour's talk is a good standard that will allow an experienced speaker to develop his subject.

I do like the idea of a theme - but it may turn some people off if they're not interested in it - perhaps a theme for the PM speakers - the "Sideshows" for example?

As for a WFA takeover - it should be advertised via the WFA network - we're all interested in the same topic after all.

Handouts would be a nice idea - either the relevant map or possibly a reading list for further personal investigation.

Regards

Brian

Can I echo all the sentiments about it being a superb day and second a repeat of it next year. A brill bit of organisation Alan (and all who helped) - thank you to all.

Jim

By the way, I have a neat bit of kit I can 'borrow' from school which would alleviate the problem of going back to the laptop to move presentations on. If I can make it next year of course!

I personally would not know how speakers there would be with the knowledge of the other theatres, but something from Salonika or Italy would rock my boat.

Excellent venue, the speakers held my attention throughout and I learned some new 'stuff', thought the tea/coffee breaks were spot on, the lunch was high class and the attendees warm and friendly.

Travelling from Scotland the 4 of us who travelled down did not find it an onerous journey and managed to fit in 2 or 3 other things to fill up our weekend (not including showing the Brummies how to dance and drink).

I think the point regarding the non use of paper cups is a fair one as I detest drinking out of them

I was sat at the rear of the room on the round tables which were really handy for taking notes etc as well as for eating lunch (I'm not competent at standing and eating for some strange reason) so would like to see this kept up in some form or another.

The pointer not working all of the time made life more difficult when trying to follow certain points and a back up would be wise.

The sound system worked well untill the speaker mover away, so would concur with the wireless type being used.

We used the Kensington hotel, which was adequate enough,cheap enough and close enough.

I liked the idea of having stalls available for members use, it was informative walking round and finding out what other folk were up to and think it could be expanded.

I'll stay clear of the Professional/Amatuer speaker debate as I don't attend enough events to really offer a valid view - happy just to learn something new.

BZ to the organisors, a better job than I could have done

I guess I was lucky - didn't miss a theme. I'm very interested in tanks and aircraft so that was two sessions sorted. I had a Great Uncle who served with one of the London Teritorial Btns in France and Salonika and was originally a railway clerk in Camden so that was another session that clicked. Lloyd George, the manpower shortages of 1918 and the 'missing battalions' was a subject I was taught in the 6th form and Charle's presentation clarified some ancient mysteries for me and any archaeological presentation that doesn't have Tony Robinson pratting around in it is attractive (and this one showed some details iof Salisbury Plain training trenches that solved a photographic conundrum for me as well)