Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference Lessons

centurion

Now we’re all back from what was a most excellent day may I suggest that before memories fade we try and think about what went right and what went wron ..... no no .. slightly less splendidly than the rest. In other words what absolutely shouldn’t be changed if there is another one and what could be improved or changed.

I’ll kick off with some personal observations from the audience

1.Format – absolutely spot on with just the right number of speakers speaking for the right amount of time and on a varied range of topics. Just enough time between speakers to get bums off those hard seats and have a coffee/tea, network, buy books or just go to the necessary. Please do not change this. If , as has been suggested, we want to discuss the workings of the forum – well there are places on the forum itself for this or it can be done informally (the two mods on my table got their ears gently bent). An ‘amateur night’ section of short 15 minute slots could turn out to be pure purgatory. If Max Anorack (AKA Speakup Man))wants to provide details of his exhaustive project on the unusual fly buttons used by the 2/5th South Loamshires between Jun 1915 and Feb 1916 then let him (or her) open a topic in the forum. In any case from experience of organising conferences (albeit of a different nature) such short sessions inevitably over run, are hell to organise (every body wants to use different media etc) and steal time from the main speakers.

2.The presentations – in general superb this being down to the class of the speakers. Just some minor points:

a.Microphones –if used these need to be wireless lapel mikes so that if the speaker moves about (or even turns towards the screen) he doesn’t fade away

b.Using a PC for the presentation material is fine but ensure that the speaker doesn’t have to walk over it to change the slide (I use a thumb mouse that I can click away from the machine and doesn’t need a desk top or any surface at all).

c.If a pointing device is to be used check that it is working and provide a spare.

d.Worth reminding speakers (if it isn’t teaching how to suck eggs) that complex maps don’t work in this environment

3.Admin points – Again in general excellent but being picky:

a.The stick on name badges didn’t always stick and were difficult to read. One possible solution might be to provide a formatted image on the forum that attendees can down load, complete and print before they come, bringing it with them along with a safety pin or whatever

b.A simple printed ‘batting order’ of speakers and times would have been useful (yes yes I know it was on the forum but see below)

c.Its already been suggested but having a read only posting of admin details would have been very useful. The main thread got so large with suggestions, comments, questions (silly or otherwise) that it became quite difficult to find Magic Rat’s various informative posts buried as they were.

4.Location – pretty good - I’m suggesting also a hotel comments thread which might help those coming to a future second do at the Tally Ho. Haven’t started one as mods might like to comment on any possible problems under libel laws etc first!

Yes some sensible points above.

I agree with the points about miking up and pointing devices during presentations. Easy to sort out for next time round.

I would agree that some short "amateur" presentations could be "purgatory" but equally you could come unstuck with some professional presentations if one was unlucky - and they would last 3 or 4 times longer thereby becoming "hell" ! I am still convinced , we have a great deal of in-house talent that we need to encourage and a few 15 minute punchy "sprint" presentations would lighten the lecture mix a bit.

The presentation aids/software are getting pretty standard nowadays, so I don't see a problem with people bringing along their memory sticks and just bashing away - but presenters could be asked to make their presentations available for review in advance. I think a shrewd idea of their quality and interest could be gleaned by this to inform the selection process.

The running order and times were known a long time in advance and were "pinned" on the Forum - so no problem here IMHO - but a more extended read only section with details of hotels etc would certainly do no harm. Again a minor detail.

Very pleasing that the perfect amount of time was given during the day for general chatting, milling about, book buying etc. It's good to break up the concentration that is needed for the main lectures. We should continue to recognise that an essentially internet based organisation usually delights in social get-togethers. We ought to preserve this relaxed demeanour and not risk trying to packing too much in.

The location gets an enthusiastic thumbs up from me - plenty of space, centrally located in the middle of the country, good service for refreshments and food, a good selection of reasonably priced hotels nearby. I can't comment on the costs but they must have been reasonable. Spot on.

b.A simple printed ‘batting order’ of speakers and times would have been useful (yes yes I know it was on the forum but see below)

c.Its already been suggested but having a read only posting of admin details would have been very useful. The main thread got so large with suggestions, comments, questions (silly or otherwise) that it became quite difficult to find Magic Rat’s various informative posts buried as they were.

Perhaps next time we could simply project the batting order onto the screen and remove it during the presentations.

a few 15 minute punchy "sprint" presentations would lighten the lecture mix a bit.

You found the presentations needed lightening?

I think there are some good points above, but I suspect that the sound system, and the mike set went with the hall. Hiring such things seperately can be very expensive, and would probably have made a pretty big addition to the cost of the event.

The pointer might well also have come with the venue, but even when working it wasn't that easy to see.

the only thing that I would have liked on name badges was to have seen a few more forum names above the real ones, to help a simple soul who has too much trouble remembering his own name to develop a pseudonym, but that was the choice of the wearers.

The balance of time was really good, and much as I would have liked to have some sessions in which members reported on their projects, I feel that that idea should wait until we are well enough established to support a fringe. Had I remained upright, rather than retreating to my bed, its quite possible that I might have found that the activities in one or two bars later on Saturday served that purpose.

Keith

Lightening?

I take your point , Centurion ! - but was really referring to length and required concentration time rather than relative gravitas.

I am sure it is equally possible to be authoritative and informative in 15 minutes as 50 minutes. Similarly, you can raise a smile equally easily during both lengths of programme.

I also think that the making of memorable points is not harmed by the injection of humour in appropriate amounts. Bruce Bairnsfather springs to mind.

The balance of time was really good, and much as I would have liked to have some sessions in which members reported on their projects, I feel that that idea should wait until we are well enough established to support a fringe ...

Like Edinburgh? We'll have to organise our own tattoo next!

Yes, agree, members projects deserve a place too.

Re location

absolutely no problems getting there by public transport as the bus stopped just around the corner outside the cricket ground.

I will not name my hotel as the moment due to the libel aspect, but on check in found to be overbooked so no room at the inn for Chris; thankfully Peter Hart came to the rescue. I did get a full refund

Chris

Which bus were you on Chris? I was 45 or 47 and it appeared to stop near the main gate, though we had to walk round to another part of the complex.

• Admin

Location excellent, easy to find and plenty of parking. Less said the better about accommodation.

Michelle

Like Edinburgh? We'll have to organise our own tattoo next!

Yes, agree, members projects deserve a place too.

So which of the speakers would you have dropped to make room for members' presentations (bearing in mind that at least two of the speakers are already members)?

• Admin

Your inbox is full Centurion.

Michelle

It's not necessarily a matter of dropping anyone. There was space for displays, and perhaps time for (for instance) a database presentation. Nothing is set in stone, and just because we had five chunky presentations this year, does not mean we cannot alter the format with, say, Ian's suggestion of substituting a couple of shorter slots.

The great thing about Birmingham is the plentiful accomodation - generally much cheaper than London and ranging from the very cheap and not particularly cheerful to really nice places at reasonable cost.

For Saturday, my old standby "Laterooms" about 6 weeks ago found me the "Village" Solihull which is a brand new luxury hotel. A little too far away but very nice and a great breakfast. I went home with a smile on my face.

So which of the speakers would you have dropped to make room for members' presentations (bearing in mind that at least two of the speakers are already members)?

Am I not right in saying that all the speakers are members of the Forum ? - along with many other Great War authors and luminaries.

This is a tribute to the quality of the Forum membership and the burgeoning recognition that it is the place to be if you want to keep your finger on the pulse of the subject.

All the more reason for encouraging the home-grown talent.

Which bus were you on Chris? I was 45 or 47 and it appeared to stop near the main gate, though we had to walk round to another part of the complex.

Kate

caught the No 1 from Five Ways

reason it saved the walk from New St to a stop that I was unfamiliar with. Max fare for Birmingham seems to be £1.70 single

Chris

We'll have to organise our own tattoo next!

I think I'll just stick with the badge, if you don't mind ...

Whilst a tattoo might demonstrate commitment to the Forum, might a transfer be easier to organise and save time?

:lol:

Bruce

Am I not right in saying that all the speakers are members of the Forum ? - along with many other Great War authors and luminaries.

This is a tribute to the quality of the Forum membership and the burgeoning recognition that it is the place to be if you want to keep your finger on the pulse of the subject.

All the more reason for encouraging the home-grown talent.

And when they are proven good enough - THEN let them do the conference don't spoil such a good function by using it as a practice ground for novices. The slots are too valuable to waste

A thought for you. At the WFA weekend seminars that ended some years ago (a terrible shame), a nice quality commemorative programme was produced. It contained the agenda, brief speaker biogs, and a list of attendees. I kept all of mine and they make a very nice keepsake.

And when they are proven good enough - THEN let them do the conference don't spoil such a good function by using it as a practice ground for novices. The slots are too valuable to waste

I don't want us to argue a hypothetical point to death but quite a few Forum members are on the WFA branch lecture circuit in any case. As always, there is a considerable difference between "novices" and "talented amateurs". No one is suggesting that efforts at "quality assurance" wouldn't be made.

But I think we are rather running ahead of ourselves - using block capitals an' all!

Some excellent points here - and please be absolutely as critical as you wish to be.

I'll start by saying that the estimable Mrs Rat/Orson/Sue and myself are more than happy to organise next years, if there is the interest to have another conference, and the forum is happy to have us, and if no-one else wants a go.

The venue - to be honest, selecting the Tally Ho was the biggest headache - and now we have found somewhere that did such a fine job, my thought is we should stay there. The event manager, Brett, and his staff, did a thoroughly professional job all day. An example - when Bryn was speaking, I suddenly realised that I hadn't turned off the background music, although it was very quiet. As I was walking back to the sound desk to turn it off, I was beaten to it by one of the staff. Another example - dinner was meant to be at 7.00 but quite a few people hadn't returned from checking into their hotels by then and the kitchens were happy to delay 20 minutes or so until everyone arrived, without any complaint.

The location in Birmingham may inconvenience some people, but that will always happen, and for that I apologise. If we do organise the conference again, I'm sure it will be back at the Tally Ho again.

Hotels - I'm only aware of people staying at the Travelodges or the Kensington - we were at the Kensington and found it acceptable. I'd welcome any comments (probably best via PM) on the hotels that were used. The Kensington was a mile from the Tally Ho, I'm not aware of any other hotels within that distance, although there quite a few within about two miles, either in the city centre or along the Hagley Road. Did anyone stay at the accommodation offered by the training college at the Tally Ho itself?

More to come..

Just one point about the venue: the one black mark which marred an otherwise excellent service was the rattling of crockery as the tables were cleared while the speakers were in full flow. Well done gentlemen for for carrying-on regardless.

Just one point about the venue: the one black mark which marred an otherwise excellent service was the rattling of crockery as the tables were cleared while the speakers were in full flow. Well done gentlemen for for carrying-on regardless.

That's a very good point, Kate - we could hear that up at the front toward the tail end of Bryn's talk. I would imagine the answer would be to have tea and coffee set up in the room where lunch was served.