Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension and Reserve Pay to Irish Regiment soldiers

corisande

I assume that after Irish Independence soldiers in the (now disbanded) Irish regiments, continued to received reserve payments in the same way as if they had been living in England. Correct me if I am wrong

What I am trying to find out is the following, and to see if it was "normal" or not.

I have a case of a soldier who is getting from the "pensioners and reservists office in Warwick" a sum of what appears to be 1 shilling per day.

He was shot, apparently accidentally (according to the records), by a Free State Soldier, while under arrest, while he was dressed in civilian clothes. He had been arrested for being drunk on the streets and breaking the curfew, in August 1922. The British had left the town and it was under Free State control

As far as I can ascertain he was not at that point a serving British soldier, his death cert says "Ex-soldier"

His widow was paid his reserve pay up to the day he died. She then petitioned the British government and received an "ex-gratia" payment of £50

My question is, were ex-gratia payments to the widow "normal" when a reservist died. Did the events surrounding his death make any difference. In other words can I read anything into this ex-gratia payment by the British government. I have read the background correspondence and it is definitely the British not the Irish government who makes the payment (all be it 3 years later in 1924)