Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos from 1st Great War Forum Conference - 2010

Pighills

The Glasgow "Boozy First' Battalion meet up in the Old Contemptibles pub the night beofre the conference. :D

24520_378035904165_845969165_357210.jpg

L to R

Charlie McDonald , Tom Dale , Sandy Leishman and Barrie Duncan.

24520_378036879165_845969165_357212.jpg

Barrie Duncan , Dr.Stuart Wilson , Tom Gordon and Charlie McDonald

Nice to see their faces instead of the backs of their heads like I'd managed to capture!!

Slightly disappointed to have a blurry right arm. Even more disappointed to have a blurry head the next day. And that's despite not being allowed to join Pete's 'exclusive drinking club' :angry:

Still big ups to the Scottish gentleman (who shall remain nameless) who called Pete 'Max Wall'.

Still big ups to the Scottish gentleman (who shall remain nameless) who called Pete 'Max Wall'.

Now you mention it, I can see the likeness!! :lol:

Roger

I'm pleased you had a good meet.

I would have attended but felt I had nothing to offer,so chose not to.

I feel the photographs display, the respect that was shown,in WW1,to both colleagues and the then Foe,and applaud the friendship you generated,in your short time together,try to depict,and relive.

I remain conscious of Centurion's serious points,regarding invited Speakers comfort,ease of delivery,etc but the majority of us,have as ancestors,common men who chose to fight,or were directed to fight a War,for principles,which they may or may not have believed in and may or not have been achieved.

I would be happy to attend a future gathering where less emphasis is made of individual research into a particular WW1 Battle,or the identification process that was/is being undertaken to now identify a casualty.Nor do I feel that display of WW1 equipment,adds to an current occasion,other than show the Collector's interest in his chosen subject.

I am happy to be guided,by the studious,into aspects of my ancestors WW1 War life,that I do not appreciate or how my ancestors,left in UK,survived and prospered throughout WW1.

Self debate over. :D

George

how my ancestors,left in UK,survived and prospered throughout WW1.

Unless I've missed someone's research, I don't think the home front has been looked at too much - at least not from the angle of those who did rather well out the war (Grandad Hartley actually being one)

And to think Helen and I were 20 minutes away in an ordinary - not even fast - car; unfortunately we were in a different world, so to speak, due to the law of unforeseen circumstances.

Did anyone photograph the evening dinner? We might have made that, but after the day we'd had, we were spent..

And to think Helen and I were 20 minutes away in an ordinary - not even fast - car; unfortunately we were in a different world, so to speak, due to the law of unforeseen circumstances.

Did anyone photograph the evening dinner? We might have made that, but after the day we'd had, we were spent..

Phil - loads of dinner pictures by Kim on page 2

Alan

Dycer - can I suggest that you post your comment above in a new thread - not really sensible for this to be discussed here

Thanks

Alan

And no attendees in Great War uniform? Shocking!

I'm sure it could be arranged in future :innocent:

IMG_4278.jpg

Kate raising funds...

I see Health and Safety reached the Conference pinless badges DIY :lol:

Dan

And no attendees in Great War uniform? Shocking!

Next year we shall start with half an hour's drill on the games field under the orders of a suitably accoutred RSM

and count me in to be there

cheers Martin B

In defence of the Jocks shown above, we got a little giddy on arrival in such a big city and over did it slightly with the cold-ones in the OC....and the rather lively Lloyds bar in the city centre. As a result, there were a few hangovers (and I openly admit to being as rough as the badgers!) which ultimately resulted in spending the majority of the day in our seats. Apologies to all - we're usually alot more sociable than that (just ask the punters in Lloyds!)

Pics of that, with accompanying video on UTube, would prove most interesting.

Next year we shall start with half an hour's drill on the games field under the orders of a suitably accoutred RSM

and count me in to be there

cheers Martin B

Great thread. Thanks for the pics--it's nice to be able to put faces to so many names.

Hey John H.--hope you and the Boss are doing well.

Chris

Hey Chris.

Yep I'm well - hope you are too. Boss has been quite poorly these last few months, though. Had hoped to get to your side of the pond this year but she's not well enough for a trip just now.

John

Calisthenics in the car park? I am with Hawkeye Pierce on that one (yes....I know....wrong war!)

A bit of square bashing perhaps. About turn on the march? What were those letters? LTV?

Bruce