The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Google Earth and Satnav guides to Ypres salient

Chris_Baker

Hi Chris, I have clicked on the link but all I get is line after line of programmes. The Google bit that is.

Regards

Norman

Very impressive, Chris. It will take a lot of hassle out of the planning stage and I'm sure folks will breathe a sigh of relief too. Well done.

Chris I may be a bit pedantic about this but when clicking on the Google Earth bit all I get is line after line of data. Clicking on the satnav thing does load a proper "do you want to run or save this file" prompt.

Please advise

Norman

You are getting the right thing (the code) but you need to do this with it:

- once the KML file (ie the page of code) opens in your browser, save the file to your hard drive and make a note of where you have saved it

- then either navigate to it and double click to open in Google Earth, or open Google Earth and use File, Open....

- (you may need, depending on how it has been saved, to remove a ".xml" from the filename. It should only read "YpresCemsMem.kml")

- the hundreds of locations then appear in Google Earth as red, yellow and green 'pins' with a text title.

You do of course need Google Earth to be installed on your PC for this to work.

Thanks Chris, I will give it a miss as it seems overly complicated (for me) and I would have expected a proper save/run/cancel prompt as is normal with executable files of this nature…..

Regards

Norman

Try it now. I have made the link download a zip file rather than the KML. Save it to your hard drive and open using Google Earth.

Thanks Chris, the LLT shows the way again!

Roy

Thanks Chris, thats excellent.

Regards Doug.

Chris

What a great piece of work

Roger

Excellent piece of work.

Len

As brand new newcomer to the forum I can offer Google Earth kmz files and csv files for satnav use that I have prepared over the last few months covering WW1 and WW2 CWGC sites (not just war cemeteries) in Germany, Italy, Malta, Gibraltar, the USA and 18 English counties so far (Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, London, Middlesex, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Rutland, Surrey & Sussex, based on the CWGC's use of pre-1974 county names) should anyone be prepared to help me upload them ....

Overseas files give as much detail as CWGC to locate the graves in civil cemeteries but the UK ones just identify the number of identified burials but both provide links to the relevant CWGC and TWGPP webpages.

Dave

Great resource! ...and it makes me smile to see the number of vistors to the cemeteries (eg car by Abele airfield, coach turning in near Prowse Point.....

Chris,

As always, another outstanding effort. Thank you for your generosity in providing this, I hope to be able to use it later this year.

Cheers,

Hendo

Chris

excellent; Gallipoli next please :D

Chris