Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut. Tully Anderson CEF

marc leroux

Thanks Chris!

marc

Gentlemen, I have solved the mystery! :D

I thought one avenue of investigation was to look at the other battalions from Manitoba, thinking that would be a logical place for someone from the 32nd to go. So as I discovered, Lance-Serjeant Anderson was with the 8th Battalion when he won his DCM, written up in their diary on August 5th August 1916 diary link . The action which brought the DCM happened on June 13, 1916, June 1916 diary P1 , and June 1916 diary P2 while with a consolidating party during an attack on Mount Sorrel. The officer with him was Lieutenant William Hamilton Mitchell who died 27.11.16 (unknown if it was from injuries suffered in this action) and is buried at Villers Station Cemetery, Villers-au-Bois.

It will be interesting to see from his service papers when he joined the 8th Battalion from the 32nd, and when he was taken on strength with the 44th.

The June 1916 diary for the 8th battalion is worth reading.

While reading the 8th battalion diaries, I came across another soldier who started with the 32nd battalion, and eventually became an officer with the 44th.

Warner T. Bole, service number 81087, joined the 32nd battalion, on the 21st December 1914, attestation papers . Some time in 1915, he must have transferred to the 8th battalion, possibly with T.W. Anderson where he became a Corporal. On June 12th, 1916 the Officer Commanding the 8th Battalion received a letter from Lt-General Sir Julien Byng thanking him, and a Lieutenant Harrower for a reconnaisance of the enemy lines made by them on the night of the 4th/5th June, 8th diary link . This action though was not the reason why a Military Medal had been awarded to him on June 6, 1916 8th diary link , as it was posted in the London Gazette on June 2nd London Gazette link

When Bole transferred to the 44th battalion is unknown but he was gazetted a temporary Lieutenant at the same time (same list) as T.W. Anderson on the 21st November 1916, (Dec. 8/16 London Gazette).

On February 28, 1917, he received the Military Cross 44th Bn link for conducting all the reconnaisance as part of a successful trench raid near the Kennedy Crater, as well as personally capturing, and bringing back a German soldier, diary link . It was gazetted on March 23, 1917.

The next mention of Lt. Bole I came across was a mention he had been wounded near Souchez dump March 1, 1917.

Finally he was killed in action at Passchendaele October 28, 1917 possibly during an attack by 50-100 Germans which occured while relief was taking place by the 85th battalion diary link .

Lieutenant Bole, MC, MM has no known grave, and is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Great research, Chris!

I'll send you a copy of Tully Andersons attestation paper as soon as I get them.

Thanks!

marc

Thanks, Marc!

• 2 weeks later...

I received the file for Tully Anderson. It is missing some parts, but the basic chronology looks like this:

Enlisted in the CEF on 22 Dec 1914 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, age 35, occupation farmer. He was unmarried and had no military experience.

There is nothing in his record about training in Canada, transfer to England or training in England, although, presumably this all happened. He may have initially been assigned to 32 Battalion.

He arrived in France on 3 May 1915 and was assigned to the 8th Battalion. Appointed Lance Corporal 10 May 1915. Granted leave from 11 Dec. 1915 to 19 Dec 1915. Promoted to Corporal and acting Lance Sergeant on 28 Jan 1916. Promoted to Sergeant in the field on 3 April 1916.

On June 13th 1916 he was involved in a work party in support of the front line troops at Mount Sorrel, when he was wounded, receiving the Distinguished Conduct Medal. The 32nd was subjected to intense enemy artillery and sustained much causality during the day. The DCM citation reads:

"For conspicuous bravery and resource when with a consolidating party during an attack. The officer in charge was wounded and Lance Sergeant Anderson carried on the work under most adverse conditions and very heavy shell fire. Although severely wounded he refused to be evacuated until practically exhausted."

He was sent back to the hospital at Folkstone and later to Canadian General Hospital Bear Wood with shrapnel wounds in his back and head.

On 27 Nov 1916 he was appointed acting Lieutenant and transferred to the 44th Battalion, arriving in France 29 Nov 1916. From 6 Feb to 9 Feb 1917 he attended Platoon Commanders Course at the 4th Division School. On 15 March 1917 he was evacuated from the front, rejoining his unit on 24 March. On 14 April 1917 he was wounded in the head and shoulders and evacuated back to Le Havre.

He rejoined his unit on 12 May 1917. He was wounded a final time on 6 June 1917 and subsequently died.

If anyone wants copies of the papers I scanned, just send me a not off forum

marc

On June 13th 1916 he was involved in a work party in support of the front line troops at Mount Sorrel, when he was wounded, receiving the Distinguished Conduct Medal. The 32nd was subjected to intense enemy artillery and sustained much causality during the day.

Marc, clarification, should 32nd read 8th Bn?

Whoops!

Amazing how a dropped line can change the whole post.

It looks like Private Tully was sent to France as part of the 32nd Battalion, but was transferred to the 8th as soon as he went to France. Somehow that slipped out of my post :(

The chronology, as I know it:

Enlisted into the 32nd

Transferred to the 8th on arrival in France (1915)

Transferred to the 44th in Nov. 1916 as Lieut.

Apologies for messing that part up

marc

Thanks for filling in the details Marc.