Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th East Lancs. (Accrington Pals)

CROONAERT

Does anyone have a copy of the war diary,or can tell me exactly what the 11th East Lancs were doing in the couple of weeks leading up to 15th November 1917? I know this was a quiet(!) time for them,but I was wondering what the circumstances were behind the deaths of the 3 soldiers of this battalion who DOW on 13th November and are buried at Roclincourt.

Thanks,

Dave.

Thanks Chris.I'd already checked it. Unfortunately,it doesn't.Neither does any of Bill Turner's books.

Dave.

Dave,

The regimental history only has this to say:

In November the battalion had two tours in front line trenches. On the 11th Battalion Headquarters was again shelled with H.E. and gas shells, with the result that two other ranks were killed and Lieut.-Colonel Rickman and 46 other ranks were either wounded or gassed. Apart from these, casualties during the month were 2 other ranks killed and 30 wounded.

You'll find Walter Holmes' transcript of the battalion's war diary in the William Turner Pals Collection at Accrington Library.

All the best,

Andrew

(And thanks, Chris!)

Thanks for that Andrew.

Looks like they were wounded on the 11th and died on the 13th then.

Cheers,

Dave.

I now have a copy of the battalion's war diary between the dates 1st October 1917 and 31st March 1918,so ,if anyone needs anything looking up,drop me a line.

Dave

Just for info.....

I've now added to it and got the diary for the dates between July '17 and May '18.

Dave