Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Underage officers

N.S.Regt.

I was talking to N.S.Higlander about a set of medals I have to the 85th Battalion C.E.F. and was courious on any similar groups. Capt. J.M. Hensley was born on Jan. 2 1899 he joined the 85th on Oct. 5 1915. He made Sgt. Jan. 5 1916, leiut Oct. 7 1916, Capt. 28th July 1917. He was killed In action Oct. 30 1917 at Passchendaele. Do any other of the forum members know of many other such cases? I have read a few threads about under age solders but never heard of any officers I would guess there would be more out there.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

I was curious about this too... Its slightly off topic, but in Master and Commander the young officers couldn't have been more than 10. Was this common at all, ever in the British services? I ASSUME it was well out dated by 1914. Andy

I was curious about this too... Its slightly off topic, but in Master and Commander the young officers couldn't have been more than 10. Was this common at all, ever in the British services? I ASSUME it was well out dated by 1914. Andy

To attain Seniority in their rank I remember reading something years ago that many children of sea-going families were included on a ship's muster role at a very early age, certainly under 10. I doubt whether any young Midshipman sailed unless he was aged 12 or over - Nelson joined his first ship aged 12.

It would be interesting in anyone has any precise info and sources on this.

Officially, Philip Archibald Christy was a Lieutenant at 17, I questioned this in an earlier thread and he was actually 19. Info on CWGC.

John

I was under the impression that a midshipman was not actually a commissioned officer, hence a juvenile could hold the rank? Phil B

I was talking to N.S.Higlander about a set of medals I have to the 85th Battalion C.E.F. and was courious on any similar groups. Capt. J.M. Hensley was born on Jan. 2 1899 he joined the 85th on Oct. 5 1915. He made Sgt. Jan. 5 1916, leiut Oct. 7 1916, Capt. 28th July 1917. He was killed In action Oct. 30 1917 at Passchendaele. Do any other of the forum members know of many other such cases? I have read a few threads about under age solders but never heard of any officers I would guess there would be more out there.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

Now that is young for an officer! I took a fast look through my own collection of officers and noted some of the younger ones, 21-24 years of age, BUT could not find any younger!

Imagine commanding a company in a charge, leading dozens of men (most older then you) over the top to a final objective blocked by a hail of shell fire as thick as grass, and certain death!

What kid today at 18 could do that??? (I would say few to none!)

Maybe I'm just a cynic?

David

Canada

Ivan Gordon FELLOWES - Midshipman - Royal Navy

HMS Irresistible - Died At Sea on the 18th March 1915 aged 17

Ivan was born on the 16th January 1898, the youngest son of Rear Admiral Sir Thomas Fellowes KCB and Margaret Fellowes. The family lived at Woodfield Park, Stevenage. He and entered the service in January 1911, aged 13 and joined the crew of HMS Irresistable at the outbreak of war in August 1914.

HMS Irresistable was sunk by a mine in the Dardanelle’s Straits on the 18th March 1915.

Paul J :ph34r:

In the case of Ivan Gordon Fellowes I Find it hard to imagine letting a 13 year old to serve in the fleet. Do you think this sort of thing was do to his Fathers rank and infulence it seems strange that this sort of thing was still permitted in the 20th century. I know a century earlier wealthy families could buy their children commissions I never heard of such a thing in recent times.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Edwin Campion Vaughn was promoted to captain at 19.

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Out of interest, Anthony Eden was commissioned into the King's Royal Rifle Corps in 1915 (aged 18) and was a Captain at 20 and Brigade Major at 21. He also was awarded the MC for saving a soldier's life in 1917.

What kid today at 18 could do that??? (I would say few to none!)

Don't forget that people were older younger (if you know what I mean! :blink: ) back then.

As to whether it would happen today, well, in the right circumstances, yes, I think it could. I've known quite a few people (myself included) who have held positions of great responsibility at 17/18 and would have been capable.

Dave.

The youngest officer killed on the Somme that I know of was 2/Lieut. Eddie Fisher 3rd BN (attd 8th BN) East Lancs. KIA 16/11/16 (probably 15th actually) dueing the latters attack on the Redan Ridge. Age 17.

Stephen

Lt. Edgar Lovell Filmer Platts, 1/R.M., was born on 18 June 1899. He was killed 28 April 1917, still 17 years old (see here )

He enlisted April 1915, was offered a commission into the R.M.L.I. in September 1915 (still only 16).

See: Gavrelle - Arras (Battleground Europe) by Kyle Tallett and Trevor Tasker p.71-73.

Walter