Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Number Prefix

Guest somme

I have read elsewhere on the site that the prefix G before a soldier's number signifies enlistment in the home counties.

Could anyone let me know exactly what was meant by the "home counties" in the 1914-18 army? Would it have included East Anglia?

Thanks,

Nick

Surely not. How can Sussex be a Home County: it is not a neighbour of London, being fortunately insulated therefrom?

I come from Hove: we do not regard ourselves as Home Counties.

Most of the Captain Grumpy clones come from thereabouts.

"According to the OED it is simply 'the counties nearest to London, namely Surrey, Kent, Essex and Middlesex; sometimes with the addition of Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and ocassionally Sussex.'"

Although in fairness to the question, the Royal Sussex Regiment did use the 'G' prefix.

Sue

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Sorry - people I was basing Home Counties on what the ETB advise. Being a Londoner, civilisation stops at Morden in the South ;)

Ian

Ian

Do the ETB really omit to mention Essex? I'm sure it was still fairly close to London last weekend.

Sue :ph34r:

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Well technically half of Essex is East London and the other half West Suffolk - a bit like Sussex full of cows, fields and things that pong and sting - give me the city smog anyday ;)

OK, so what of this fellow, my grandmother's sister's first husband:

Private CHARLES T. LAMBERT

G/50674, 13th Bn., Middlesex Regiment

who died on 16 April 1917

Remembered with honour

ARRAS MEMORIAL

He came from Cosgrove in Northamptonshire.

By the way, don't take any notice of what the English Tourist Board might say. Northampton's Tourist Information manager attended a national get-together recently, and chatting over coffee, another delegate (from Yorkshire) remarked that she had journeyed from further north than herself.

Northamptonshire's castle-studded coastline is truly spectacular!

Oh, I see: a new definition of Home Counties is emerging: G prefix does it nicely. Actually.

How about looking at the make up of the 44th (Home Counties) Division?

Not sure about WW1, but in WW2 it definately included the Royal Sussex Regiment.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Tony - the only problem is that during WW1 the 44th Division had Bns of the Border Regt and South Wales Borderers serving with it at sometime or another.

Ian

Another thought on the G prefix...

My theory has always been that these numbers relate to month of call-up i.e. G = 7th letter of the alphabet, so represents July. That is probably being fanciful, as it is not a subject I have studied, but it works for a couple of soldiers on my books.

How many letters of the alphabet were used for prefixes?

Tony - the only problem is that during WW1 the 44th Division had Bns of the Border Regt and South Wales Borderers serving with it at sometime or another.

Ian

Ian,

Of course, but I was thinking of the Territorial Army units that mobilised in 1914 and 1939, the 'originals'.

Once things 'got going' all sorts of units would become part of what, in name, was a division raised in a certain area.

During WW2 this 'change' was added to by the fact that the Machine Gun Corps had ceased to exist and a handfull Infantry Regiments took over the role. So, Scottish Divisions had Londoners firing their Vickers etc etc.

Any thoughts about the the significance of R as a prefix? As in:

Rifleman HENRY JAMES HUMPHREY

R/24429, 17th Bn., King's Royal Rifle Corps

who died

on 20 September 1917

Any thoughts about the the significance of R as a prefix? As in:

Rifleman HENRY JAMES HUMPHREY

R/24429, 17th Bn., King's Royal Rifle Corps

who died

on 20 September 1917

R as a Prefix is pertaining to Rifleman as it is used in Rifle Regiments ;)

Most Gs (with numbers ranging from 0-100, 000) that I have come across relate to soldiers serving in the Middlesex Regt . The G prefixes certainly seem to occupy several volumes of their Medal Rolls! Has anyone come across many Gs in the medal rolls of other Home Counties' regiments? If so, what was the range of numbers?

Regards

AGWR