Chris_Baker

Dear Chris,

Brilliant Research. Well done!

I am glad you are on Our Side!

Kindest regards,

Kimberley John Lindsay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, me again.

I am a little confused.  I have Albert enlisting in Fulham, 26 Aug 1914, that was where he had his medical and papers signed.  The other entries for the same day are - 26/8/14 at No 4 Depot. I checked the link above and it say that it was in Ripon, Yorkshire.  There is also an entry for the 26/8/14 and it says Gt Yarmouth.  Then there is an entry of him joining at Gt Yarmouth on the 28/8/14.  Would he had been in Fulham for his medical and sign up, and Ripon, & Gt Yarmouth all in one day, it would had been a lot of travel, not sure that it's possible. 

Or have I got the place wrong?  If anyone can explain this I would be very grateful.  

Question.jpg.7ba0095db37fa4d49ed799279c18bdca.jpg 

Hi Kim,

I think that the last image confuses things. His file seems to read as if Albert signed up, and was passed as being medically fit at Fulham on 26.8.1914. At that point he seems to have been allotted to No 4 Depot, before arriving in Great Yarmouth for training on 28.8.1914. Whether he was physically sent from Fulham to Ripon, and then on to Great Yarmouth I am unsure about.  I did wonder if his allocation to the Depot was an administrative exercise, and if the reality may have been that he signed up, went home for a day to say his goodbyes, and then reported in at Great Yarmouth. Hopefully someone who has an informed view will pick up on your post, and let us know.

image.png.247154a9f83cb57139df4ca722bccc46.png

image.png.6261a0b68c1123c3b6b64bade7f60ba2.png

image.png.77e13fef5ccf7d6c8a40fa334378768c.png

Images sourced from Findmypast

Regards

Chris

7 hours ago, Kim Jones said:

The other entries for the same day are - 26/8/14 at No 4 Depot. I checked the link above and it say that it was in Ripon, Yorkshire.  There is also an entry for the 26/8/14 and it says Gt Yarmouth.

No. 4 Depot moved during the war. At the start of the war it was at Gt. Yarmouth until it moved to Clipstone Camp on the 21st Sept. 1916, it then moved again on the 23rd October 1916 to Ripon. He did not go to Ripon. Attested 26th Aug. 1914, arrived Gt. Yarmouth on the 28th.

Kevin

I can't thank you enough Chris and Kevin for sorting his out for me, I really appreciate it.  I keep thinking I have got in a bit over my head, but want to keep going, thanks to your support it's doable. 

Regards,

Kim.

Hi again.

I have a couple more questions.  

First, is it Depot H or A or something else in the screenshot ?

Second, Does it read B. E. F. and would that be British Expeditionary Force.  

The two screenshots have the same information just different pages.

These dates are just before Albert went to France.

Thanks in advance. 

Kim.

Question 2.jpg

• 1 year later...

I am trying to help a friend with information about her father, William StJohn Pym, who served in the 1/1st Wessex Territorial Regiment. The only information I have is that in the 1916 Army list he was a Second Lieutenant. with a seniority date of December 2nd 1915. He survived the war and we would like to research his service from 1916 onwards. I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of any research materials: Diaries, officer listings, etc that would help my friend know more about her father. 

Hi Angus,

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like his (probably heavily weeded) officer file may be held by the National Archives - unfortunately not available as a download though - link'

Findmypast have a hospital admission/discharge record for William (link) which shows:

image.png.f3ba3a927323bced3b41f1a7f8c7a57d.png

image.png.a64c81b0cbf379f6b497f836c2d35564.png

image.png.44ec64d14e376680bed0b4b6635fed63.png

image.png.88af6c6b5f4f71c04d486de9cf4aee29.png
Images sourced from Findmypast

At the time of his hospitalisation 2 General Hospital was based in Le Havre.

The unit allocation is shown as:

image.png.de947b8f0b39a43c80afffad7929a421.png
Image sourced from the National Archives

After free registration, hopefully you will be able to follow the movements of the Battery through the war diaries of the HAGs (Heavy Artillery Groups shown above. The diaries are currently free to download. The search page is here. NB In the search box replace the term HAG with 'Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery', and drop any 'st', 'th','nd', or 'rd' ater the number, For example 41st HAG becomes "41 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery'', and should give you these hits. They are unlikely to mention William by name though.

Regards
Chris