Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Machine Gun Squadron. 19th Hussars

Paul Johnson

Looking for the War Diary for thr 6th MG Squadron. 19th Hussars.

Already looked at the 19th Hussars war diary but cannot find any reference to the man I am looking for.

George Hubert EATON. Lieutenant

6th Machine Gun Squadron. 19th Hussars

Killed In Action on the 25th March 1918 aged 23

His body was first buried in a position 1250 yards South of Dampcourt, East of Noyon. A letter sent to his family in October 1920 explains that George was later exhumed and moved to the Chauny Communal Cemetery British Extension.

Am I looking in the right place? Anyone got any ideas/suggestions please?

Thank You

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

The 6th Machine Gun Squadron does not seem to have been part of the 19th Hussars. Rather, I suspect it was a wartime unit, formed in February of 1916 or so, that belonged to the 6th Cavalry Brigade of the 3rd Cavalry Division . As a unit in its own right, it has a war diary of its own. That war diary is on file at the PRO as WO 95/1152.

I suspect that Lt Eaton was an officer of the 19th Hussars who was seconded to the 19th Machine Gun Squadron.

The technique I used for finding this information is as follows:

1. I went to the marvelous website of the PRO (www.pro.gov.uk)

2. Once there, I went to the electronic catalog and typed the name of the unit and the appropriate range of dates (1917 to 1918.)

3. Once I got the "hit" for "6 Machine Gun Squadron," I chose the "browse the catalog from here" feature. This showed me that the war diary for 6th Machine Gun Squadron was filed under 6th Cavalry Brigade

NB: The PRO catalog does not use cardinal numbers. Thus, "6th Machine Gun Squadron" is listed as "6 Machine Gun Squadron."

Hoplophile,

Thanks for the info. I use the PRO quite a bit and the PROCAT but I have to admit to not using it to it's full potential (silly me!).

I was a bit confused onthis one as the original CWGC info stated that Eaton was 19 Hussars, 6 MG Squadron. It now states 6th Battalion. MGC (A totally different unit, I think!)

However, I am grateful for your assistance and will check out the diary on my next visit.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

Oh brother - that IS a mess. 6th Machine Gun Squadron, Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry), formerly 19 Hussars, perhaps. And as Hoplophile rightly states, it was the Brigade Machine Gun Squadron of the 6th Cavalry Brigade (3rd Cavalry Division). Formed on 29 (yes!) Feb 16 It served throughout the war in France and Flanders, but moved to Egypt post hostilities and was disbanded there.

I know that one of my colleagues on the project has read its diary - I'll seek views on its overall value.

However, as you rightly saw - CWGC now has him as '6th Battalion, MGC (Inf)'. Yes, indeed, a totally different unit... the Divisional Machine Gun Battalion of the 6th Division. And we wouldn't want you barking up the wrong war diary.

More work needed to narrow him down (e.g. Army List).

Ah! Ha!, and we come back to my original question about which war diary.

Looks like you are right Phil, more digging at the PRO (sorry, I mean NA) is required to establish which unit he was actually attached to.

Bet the Army List says 19th Hussars!!

Thank you everyone for your kind effort on this tricky blighter. Anyone else got any input, please?

PAUL J :ph34r:

Betcha find his name in italics under 19H with 'm.g.' after it..... and another entry under the MGC - which will determine Cav or Inf...