Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help with this record sheet

fandebbidozy

My great grandfather Harry Woods is a mystery as the family split up in the early 1920s, I have searched for him at his stated birth area but no records show him being born He states on marriage cert 1909 he is a sapper in RE in Portsmouth and again on my grans birth cert 1910 but in 1911 isn't in army and cannot find these records.

He then seems to sign up for the 3rd County London Yeomanry and is in it for 41 days. He then signs up for the ASC but seems to not tell the truth about wedding date, it is definatley him.

Can anyone help please to decipher army documents, 1st doc London Yeomanry 2nd ASC doc.

Thanks Debbie

My great grandfather Harry Woods is a mystery as the family split up in the early 1920s, I have searched for him at his stated birth area but no records show him being born He states on marriage cert 1909 he is a sapper in RE in Portsmouth and again on my grans birth cert 1910 but in 1911 isn't in army and cannot find these records.

He then seems to sign up for the 3rd County London Yeomanry and is in it for 41 days. He then signs up for the ASC but seems to not tell the truth about wedding date, it is definatley him.

Can anyone help please to decipher army documents, 1st doc London Yeomanry 2nd ASC doc.

Thanks Debbie

Next Army Record for Harry Woods ASC

post-53884-1268003449.jpg

• Admin

Assume you've followed the recommendation at the top of the page re researching a soldier.

His limited service above can be explained by the fact he would have enlisted and attested on 22 April 1915, probably at a local recruiting office, unfortunately the information you have posed is quite limited but the cover or first sheet should show where he took the oath. He would then be sent home and called to the Depot for training, at some point he either failed a medical examination, or got sick, as the note at the bottom of the page says he was discharged under Kings Regulations 392 because he was unlikely to become an efficient soldier 'on medical grounds'. Many volunteers were rejected due to the general state of nutrition and health among the working class at the time which meant they could not withstand the rigour of training let alone combat.

I think the word below attested is 'embodied' which means he was part of the Army for this time and was awaiting 'call up'. If he was in the Army in 1911 as a regular he was probably still on the Reserve List which is a bit of an anomaly.

I've looked at the other sheet you posted but the size of attachment is limited therefore can't blow it up if you post his ASC number I'll try and have a look tomorrow. It is possible he enlisted in the ASC in a role that reflected his medical status. The ASC record is readable but there are a few gaps. Incidentally, why are you sure they are the same man?

Ken

Hi

The bottom part is easy

He was with the Territorial force for 41 days up until 1/6/15, his character was good for rhe length of service, the discharge is Kings Regulations Paragraph 392 iii © - (and the reason which says he) was not likely to become an effective soldier (on medical grounds) and it was signed in London

as for the top it is harder and someone with more knowledge than me may be better, but here is what I can read

3rd ?? of London for Corps and Yes underneath that, Unit ? Apptd ? , Attested , Private, 22/4/15 and signed

next line Embodied? Private 22/4/15 to 1/6/15 and signed

hope this helps

regards

Robert

I think the word below attested is 'embodied' which means he was part of the Army for this time and was awaiting 'call up'.

It is a term used by the Territorial Force to mean that he went onto full time service.

Assume you've followed the recommendation at the top of the page re researching a soldier.

His limited service above can be explained by the fact he would have enlisted and attested on 22 April 1915, probably at a local recruiting office, unfortunately the information you have posed is quite limited but the cover or first sheet should show where he took the oath. He would then be sent home and called to the Depot for training, at some point he either failed a medical examination, or got sick, as the note at the bottom of the page says he was discharged under Kings Regulations 392 because he was unlikely to become an efficient soldier 'on medical grounds'. Many volunteers were rejected due to the general state of nutrition and health among the working class at the time which meant they could not withstand the rigour of training let alone combat.

I think the word below attested is 'embodied' which means he was part of the Army for this time and was awaiting 'call up'. If he was in the Army in 1911 as a regular he was probably still on the Reserve List which is a bit of an anomaly.

I've looked at the other sheet you posted but the size of attachment is limited therefore can't blow it up if you post his ASC number I'll try and have a look tomorrow. It is possible he enlisted in the ASC in a role that reflected his medical status. The ASC record is readable but there are a few gaps. Incidentally, why are you sure they are the same man?

Ken

Hi Ken Harry married Annie Louisa Pierce in 1909 whilst in the RE but he states on this signing up he married in 1915, I have checked records an indeed a marriage exsists 1915 so I have sent for marriage cert. My Harry was a clerk and lived at the address stated, but I have a feeling he was a bit lax on telling the truth as his age and other details seems to change on documents. As I explained the family split after the war so am desperatley trying to piece his life together during his service in the regiments he joined.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Debbie