Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of ? Mayo

muffin

Hi Everyone

I have attached a photograph of my Gran's first cousin, we know his surname is Mayo but don't know his first name. I wondered if anyone could tell me if this is a soldiers uniform or am I completely off the mark (without wishing to look completely stupid). My gran died when my mum was 13 and nobody else knows anything about him.

Really appreciate any advice

Thank you

Kathryn

post-1-1084747149.jpg

Hi Everyone

I have attached a photograph of my Gran's first cousin, we know his surname is Mayo but don't know his first name.  I wondered if anyone could tell me if this is a soldiers uniform or am I completely off the mark (without wishing to look completely stupid).  My gran died when my mum was 13 and nobody else knows anything about him. 

Really appreciate any advice

Thank you

Kathryn

Hello Kathryn,

No need to feel the slightest bit Stoopid!

Your Picture is of a Soldier !

He is a Member of the Herefordshire Regiment Territorial Force circa WW1.

I hope this Helps!

Regards Roger{HBMCDCM}

A search of CWGC shows an Arthur MAYO,Private;#236423, 3/1st Herefordshire Regt TF who died on 9th March 1917 & is Buried in King's Caple St John's Hereford,Aged 28,Son of Mrs Mary Ann Mayo Of New Cottages Fawley Hereford

The 1901 Census Shows him as a General Labourer Aged 12! of How Caple Hereford.{& A Mary Ann Mayo aged 59}This may or may not be your Relative? :rolleyes:

He is a Member of the Herefordshire Regiment Territorial Force circa WW1.

I'd go along with this, but personally, I'd say the photo (going off the style of SD cap, the wearing of collar badges and the general "feel" of the photo) dates from post-war, probably the 1930's, maybe even from the outbreak of WW2.

Dave.

Thankyou very much for your help :D

Soldier Mayo is the son of Emily (nee Jones) and George Mayo who lived in Ross-on-Wye so it would make sense that he was in a Hereford Regiment. I checked the CWGC without knowing if he was soldier, which year?, if he died?, etc. and there were 204 Mayo's listed! Uncommon name!

If I try to deduce when he was born from what I know about his mother then this photo was probably taken after WW1. Emily is my great Gran's younger sister and I don't think she was married yet in 1901. I have a lot of research left to do on my mother's side.

There are two dates stamped on the back of the picture, 4th and 22nd November but the year's are so blurry you couldn't even hazard a guess, it's just a blob of purple ink! The name 'Jerome' is stamped in the bottom right hand corner and there a message from a lady called Nancy written in pencil.

Since it is a strong possibility that he isn't related to the Great War, I won't ask anymore questions and i'll just say Thankyou again!

Kathryn