Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kemmel Hill positions...

roel22

It might be worth calling in at De Hollemeersch Hotel for a Beer (Or 6) and speak to the owners Mother Mrs Van Den Weghe,as she has a lot of knowledge about Kemmel during the Great War and might well be able to locate the position of the Photo,plus She has a great collection of Great War postcards and Photographs on display which are well worth a look at.. :)...Also not to forget that nearly all dugouts,Trenches,Bunkers,etc,were filled in,buried,removed after the war by the Government or Local Farmers/Builders.So many traces do not remain today.

I know that very effective beer-system, PBI. And I like to use it! ;)

Anyway, about the lost traces, I'm aware by experience, that we will not find many traces.

But the spot still remains. My only goal is, that I could say; "Here it was." :thumbsup:

What will happen if the "Spot" is fenced in or on private Property ?..maybe a Secret Recce mission..LOL. ;);):D

Maybe a few extra beers from De Hollemeersch will help... :hypocrite:

post-7805-1268309924.jpg

Great Idea Roel !.. :lol:

No traces left...

But as I said, I can be terrible wrong about the spots...

After this weekend, I hope to know more.

Joris, did you discover anything spectacular last weekend on the slopes of mount Kemmel?

Roel

Joris, did you discover anything spectacular last weekend on the slopes of mount Kemmel?

Roel

Just curious...

Just curious...

Sorry, for my late reply. Busy...

It seems to be quiet at the front, but that's just an illusion! ;)

But, some other people/friends are started to help searching, to find an answer on this quest!

This story is not over yet!

Last weekend, I get this scan from an old postcard (before 1914), used on a local calender...

scannen0001v.jpg

On top of the Kemmel, you can see the wooden observation tower.

So, is this the mill on the "Little Kemmel"?

New questions...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, the mill in the previous post is the Lettenberg mill.

I remembered my book at the non-WW1-section in my bib... With old cards; "Heuvelland graag gezien."

But I also found some 2 other interesting things at Kemmel! :rolleyes:

But not at the presumed places... More later.

The position of the man in the postcard (roughly) marks the spot where nowadays the entrance to camping Ypra is.

I'm curious about your new discoveries, Joris...

Roel

• 12 years later...
On 09/03/2010 at 15:36, PBI said:

post-7805-1268145234.jpg

I reckon that these positions are very near the summit of Kemmelberg near what is now the Hostellrie Hotel.the surrounding area is still heavily scarred with the visible marks of Shell holes,Trenches,etc,etc.

Be careful when interpreting the current landscape of the Kemmelberg summit; there was an important Iron Age height fortification, with some visible traces today ; 
We are looking for the origin of the "kinderput", located just next to the British command post at the top of the hill (Belle Vue cab) . The centre of the command post (observation post?) was a mound which was actually the geodesic point. So we are looking for the connection between "kinderput"(with an old legend!) , geodetic point and observation post: who was first and who used what and for what! More info on all this can be found at  https://kemmelberg.historyfiles.co.uk/eng/index.html

Just now, Putman said:

Be careful when interpreting the current landscape of the Kemmelberg summit; there was an important Iron Age height fortification, with some visible traces today ; 
We are looking for the origin of the "kinderput", located just next to the British command post at the top of the hill (Belle Vue cab) . The centre of the command post (observation post?) was a mound which was actually the geodesic point. So we are looking for the connection between "kinderput"(with an old legend!) , geodetic point and observation post: who was first and who used what and for what! More info on all this can be found at  https://kemmelberg.historyfiles.co.uk/eng/index.html

sorry replace " height fortification" by "hillfort", of course....