Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Other Side of the Wire Volume 1 With the German XIV Reserve Corps

Simon Jones

just received No. 453, and looking forward to a very quiet weekend with it.

Keith

Whilst initially disappointed that it stops at June 16 I am now totally hooked on the 'Early years'. I love the idea that that they should stop overnight at La Boisselle and stay for two years. It is so interesting reading about the birth of the line, something I for one have more or less taken for granted.

Roll on Vol. II.

Chris

Chris,

Volume 2 will probably be as large as volume 1 and I needed a place to break them up. What better way than to almost lead the reader to the climatic battle and then stop. Along the lines of the old 1930's movie serials like Spy Smasher and others. Lead them to thye climax and then wait for the next episode the following Saturday.

Volume 2 will also have far more charts on German losses from 1 July, phitis, etc. It simply would have been far too large for a singe volume. I am glad you are finding it interesting, now if my copies would only get here as well.

Ralph

I've just ordered it. I hope I've made the right decision, as I suspect negotiations at home will result in this replacing Wisden. You have no idea of the internal turmoil caused.

I've just ordered it. I hope I've made the right decision, as I suspect negotiations at home will result in this replacing Wisden. You have no idea of the internal turmoil caused.

Steven,

If you want my opinion on if it was worth it.......of course it was! In regard to Wisden, is this something to do with Cricket?

Ralph

One thing that I am finding particularly interesting is the evolution of the defensive positions, the development of deep dugouts and the massive resources used from early 1915 which the British assaulted in 1916.

Just received two copies – one for me and one for a colleague. At first glance it looks terrific – well done Ralph.

It will get added to my ‘to read’ list and I look forward to getting into the book.

I have numbers 330 & 366 by the way!

Regards,

Jeremy

Still waiting for mine....

TT

315 present & correct.

Hope the big man will forgive me .. he knows the bit Im waiting for!

Copy 341 arrived just. Looks superb and a really good read. Initial impression leads to well done Ralph!!!!

I note that the publishers are literally just up the road from myself! Could have collected it in person.

Also of note. I have two Baden pickelhaulbes in my collection. One to IR 111 and the other regimentally marked to RIR 111. Who knows the latter may have been on the Somme and one of those soldiers pictured in the book actually wearing it...I know a speculative thought but captures the imagination though.

Well done again.

TT

Thanks TT, I appreciate the comments. I hope the book lives up to the initial review.

I too have some items that belonged to members of the XIV Reserve Corps. One in particular is a drive band bracelet with 'Fricourt' across the front. I have always wondered who made it? Where did it end up? etc. The same goes for many of the photos, the ones from my collection being postcards sent by men in the regiment.

Thanks again, enjoy the read.

Ralph

P.S. Still no book here it seems

And the really good news: Mrs B took it so calmly that I might push my luck and get Wisden, too. Either she's given up or she's biding her time.

On topic, it looks really good; I started last night but didn't have much time, so will carry on later. I'm already looking forward to Vol II.

Steven, Steven, Steven........It's a trap, run while you have the chance. Somehow though I suspect you will not see it coming if your wife is anything like mine. Sweet, personable, lovely and then the shark shows up with a big toothy smile and you have had it. After 35 years of being married you would think I could see it coming or at least prepare myself but noooo....in my case it appears that it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Enjoy the book, I look forward to hearing what you thought of it.

Ralph

I overspent my "budget" but included a book as a surprise present for the Memsahib - might get me out of a hole.........

I preordered mine on 29 Nov 2008 from the Helion website, and paid by credit card.... Do I need to reorder? My copy hasn't arrived yet, but Helion sent me the email inviting me to purchase.... I'm getting somewhat nervous knowing that it will sell out quickly!

Charles

Charles, You might want to contact them again as they may not be able to proces it from the original order.

Volume 2 is well underway, it is just a matter of time for aditional translating and then editing to get it into print. I am working on it as quickly as I can, in fact this morning as I go through some of the dozens of completed and outlined research subjects for each chapter.

Ralph

Charles,

My order was placed in 2008 also, but the credit card I used had expired by the time it was published !

A phone call to Helion with the new details & the book was sent out !

Mick

My copies have arrived at long last. It seems the box came from England to the U.S. via Sweden according to the routing bag and custome slip from the Swedish postal service. Still, they are here and they look fantastic to me, sorry, no shame in pure enjoyment of holding my first book on my part.

Too bad I already read it, it looks like good reading.

Ralph

no shame in pure enjoyment of holding my first book on my part.

Ralph

Depends which part you're holding it on, really.

As well as being an accomplished author he does balancing tricks?

I've got Nos. 400 and 387. A couple of observations thus far--I like that Ralph started with the story of the XIV Reserve Corps vet returning to the Somme in 1926. I enjoy works that open with a reference point in time like this and then take the reader/viewer back to tell the story--the cemetery scene opening Saving Private Ryan is an example, and Ralph sets the stage here in much the same way. It wasn't hard for me to picture in my mind this vet and the emotions that he felt. I also found interesting some of the minutia he has presented thusfar--for example, I would have never assumed or even thought to ask that the German Army doctors provided obstetric care (at least early in the war) to local French women within their lines.

Lastly, I must applaud the publisher for the nice way in which the many photos printed.

Chris

I have 343. It's a nicely produced book for sure and although I am only about a third of the way through it, I feel its very well worth the money. Many congratulations to Ralph on this publication.

TR