Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Other Side of the Wire Volume 1 With the German XIV Reserve Corps

Simon Jones

Ralph's long-awaited book on the German army on the Somme has just been delivered on the day I move house (perfect timing Helion!). I haven't opened it yet as it will just get dirty.

EDIT: Pickfords have just knocked off for lunch so have opened it. The title is 'The Other Side of the Wire Volume 1 With the German XIV Reserve Corps on the Somme, September 1914 - June 1916', it is limited to 750 copies, mine is number 323, with Ralph's autograph inserted. 615 pages, masses of photos and maps. It looks fantastic. I can't wait to go through the La Boisselle sections, as well as all the other sectors.

Just had to re-order my copy. Might even be with me for the weekend! Thanks for the Heads-up that it has been published.

Not me - mine's 402. A solid read judging by the weight of it...................a quick flip through looks like an excellent piece of work.

Just received mine this morning, number 401. It looks a cracking good book, can't wait to get stuck into it

Mine's number 350. So, who has got the lowest number then? :D

Ralph? :P

Does it cover the Germans defending Mametz Wood, July 1916 please?

Bernard

Does it cover the Germans defending Mametz Wood, July 1916 please?

Bernard

Bernard,

Volume 2 is well under way with hundreds of pages so far on 1 July alone. It will cover the same units through the end of the war and through the 1970's to a lesser extent. More great photos in volume 2 as well.

What part of Mametz Wood are you looking at? It might not involve my units but then there is always room for other books, my publisher has extended an offer to publish anything else I might consider.

Ralph

Heartiest congratulations to a real gentleman.

Des

Just ordered a copy from Amazon.

TT

I'm waiting for mine too. This could be sold out quite quickly.

Keith

That should improve Ralph's bank balance (though not by as much as he deserves) but if a reprint is required then Ralph is likely to get repetitive strain injury from signing more labels ;). Nice touch by the way, Ralph.

Robert

That should improve Ralph's bank balance (though not by as much as he deserves) but if a reprint is required then Ralph is likely to get repetitive strain injury from signing more labels ;). Nice touch by the way, Ralph.

Robert

While any money I make on the book will recoup some of the overall expenses (10% or less it seems) I am still waiting for the call from Hollywood or Bollywood, which ever comes first. Then the big bucks will roll in. I sit here by the phone in anticipation. :lol:

Ralph

Mine (No. 450) arrived this morning. Looks excellent, I'll be starting it this evening.

Roy

My copy (No. 26) arrived this morning,looks like it's going to be an interesting read :rolleyes:

Regards Doug.

Ralph - specifically the first two weeks of July 1916 when the Welsh Division (and others) attacked Mametz Wood.

Bernard

Ralph - specifically the first two weeks of July 1916 when the Welsh Division (and others) attacked Mametz Wood.

Bernard

Bernard,

I am not sure just how much of this part of the battle I will be including in my second volume. I am continuing the story of the XIV Reserve Corps through the end of the war. As soon as I have more details on this portion of the fighting I will post it here.

Thanks everyone for all of the comments on the book. I hope that after you get into it you will provide some additional feedback for me. It would be appreciated.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph. Very interested if the 1916 fighting in Mametz Wood is included.

Bernard

Whilst initially disappointed that it stops at June 16 I am now totally hooked on the 'Early years'. I love the idea that that they should stop overnight at La Boisselle and stay for two years. It is so interesting reading about the birth of the line, something I for one have more or less taken for granted.

Roll on Vol. II.

Chris