Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submariners' Database

DirtyDick

Thanks Spider and Crispy,

Dropbears is a nice little site isn't it? Good photos of C boats when I last looked.

The C34 list is useful. Quite difficult to obtain complete crew lists (strange as it may seem) from archives without loads of hassles. I look forward to the posting.

Thanks again

Richard

Here is a listing of the Submarine Memorial at the RN Cemetery Haslar.

for those lost on A1, 18 March 1904. & those lost on A5 as a result of an explosion on 16 Feb 1905. These men were the true 'submarine pioneers'!

post-24-1086043461.jpg

Here is part 2 of the Memorial for those lost on Sub A8 sunk on 8 June 1905; &

A3 which sunk after collision Feb 2, 1912.

ALSO of NOTE - TODAY (May 31/June 1) is the 88th Anniversary of THE BATTLE OF JUTLAND.

Bryan

post-24-1086044005.jpg

Richard.

Sorry for delay of service record re William George Playford:-

Born, Bilsington near Ashford, Kent, 30th March 1894.

Service number K21054

Stoker 1st Class (13/10/14)

Submarine service from 23/10/16

Date of enlistment, 13/10/13,for 12 year engagement at Chatham.

Ships served on :-

Pembrooke 2 (Stoker 2nd Class) 13/10/13.

Vengeance (Stoker 2nd Class) 20/3/14.

Vengeance (Stoker 1st Class) 13/10/14.

Vivid 2 " 30/7/15.

Vengeance " 16/12/15

Dolphin " 13/12/16

Maidstone(C34) " 1/4/17

Lucia? " 1/7/17

I have added the ? to Lucia because the writer who made the entry on the original has not done so as clearly as on the other entries.

The paper shows the following also:-

TRACED WAR GRATUITY BY No 24, underneath which is an entry, Paid War Gratuity. Whilst I am sure the full meaning of same is of significance to you, as I am not familier with Navy documentation etc, they in truth mean liitle to me, but thought that I should add same for your information.

There is reference in the section headed BADGES, where it says No it seems to be S1, could this mean Stoker 1st Class ? the entry is dated 12/10/16, it could be a G, sorry if this is not being helpful.

Under the section Character & Ability, all entries are VG which I take to mean Very Good.

William was a Cowman prior to enlistment.

I added Bilsington as place of birth as I have a copy of his birth certificate, but on his service paper Ashford, Kent is given.

He is commemorated on the Chatham Memorial.

Hope that the above is what you wanted.

David.

Richard.

Should have said when posting W.G.Playford info just a few minutes ago, the number on the original paper is K21054, but his full service number was in fact CK21054, whilst you would already have known (I did not) the C was for Chatham and the K for Stoker, another document I have shows him as "C34 Missing" with the date of 22/8/17, the day after the submarine was sunk, thought that may also be of interest.

David.

Thanks for that David, a most comprehensive account. The transcribed information with d.o.b. and service dates is just the sort of thing I'm seeking

Cheers

Richard

Hi David,

In regards to Stoker Playford's issue of GCB's (Good Conduct Badges) the entry for G & the date below means he was Granted 1st badge on 12 Oct 1916.

He would have recd his first GCB after completing 3 yrs adult service.

Alos seen on GCB entries are the letters D (for Deprived), & R (for Restored) both with the applicable dates below the letter & number.

Ie: D1 R1

12/6/04 12/12/04

So this means this rating would have lost one GCB on 12 Jun 04 & had it restored on 12 Dec 04.

Bryan

SNOWDEN, HARRY

Wireless Telegraph Operator

Royal Naval Reserve

H.M. S/M "H5."

Date of Death: 02/03/1918

Son of the late Lieut Comdr. Snowden, R.N.; husband of Florence Dora Snowden, of 4, Blackfriars Rd., Great Yarmouth.

H5 was rammed after being mistaken for a UBoat. One source here

Guest Sapper Calling

With ref to C34 the captain, Lt Ingelby Stuart Jewfferson came from Ripon. He was the son of Dr William Dixon & Mary Stuart Jefferson of North House, North St. He was aged 24 when he died.

Peter

Peter.

Thank you for the extra information regarding Lt Jefferson, it is quite odd in the short time that I have been on the forum, when at times when I have tried to provide someone with information, I unexpectantly get a "bonus" in return.

I had checked on the 1881 census on the web to see what details were there regarding Lt Jefferson`s father, this shows him living at 28 North Street, Ripon, as you are probably aware the CWGC entry for the late officer shows his parents names, and of Ripon, but not their full address, so your information is a real help.

Again you may also be aware, but it would seem that the unfortunate young officers other claim to fame, if that is the correct term to use, is that he was the officer on watch aboard the submarine E43 when it collided with the E36 on 19/1/1917 in the North Sea resulting in the loss of the E36, the first British submarine sunk that year.

Again many thanks for the additional information.

David.

Bryan.

This is somewhat embarrassing, late last night I went on the forum to post details for a member, after doing so I went to the Last Post of this thread to see how Richard was getting on re more information, as such I have only just seen the information that you very kindly supplied, many thanks, as my main area of interest is the army, your information was a real help which I will add at the late Stokers tribute in the book that I am writting.

David.

Richard.

Maybe you already know, but as I was adding the information which Bryan and Peter posted to this thread re my man G.R.Playford, I had forgotten to mention that some of my information had come from the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

When I was first told that there were probably records for a WW1 submariner at the museum in truth I thought it was a "leg pull".

The lady to contact is Mrs Jan Keohane, Fleet Air Arm Museum, RNAS, Yeovilton, Somerset, BA22 8HT.

The info kindly posted by both Bryan and Peter were real "gems" for me!

David.

Guest Sapper Calling

Richard & Crispy

You should now be able to see a picture of Lt I.S. Jefferson

Peter

Oooop's Something went wrong there did not mean for it to be that big

There thats better, just getting the hang of a new computer & scanner

post-24-1087028945.jpg

Peter

Don't worry about the size: 'The bigger, the better', said the actress to the bishop.

Cheers for the cutting,

Richard

Peter.

Yet another power cut has led to me not being able to view the forum today, I did however meet and greet the wife today, she tells me this is quite rare since finding this site.

Thank you yet again, another "bonus", due to my advanced age my eyesight is not as good as in the past, as such the image/information that you posted is spot on, thanks again.

David.

I dont think the actress was referring to subs when she was speaking to the bishop!! Doubt she knew a A class from a V class!!

Like to have some more info on yr proposed book tho David,

Apparently the info stored at Yeovilton is records that were not wanted (& I dont know the reason for this) by the PRO. I had a fellow do some searches for me there a while back, but as I recall thay have to be in before the turn of the C.

Bryan

Bryan.

This is getting to be something of a habit, sorry again!

You have cleared up something that has puzzled me ever since I obtained the "extra" papers of W.G.Playford, I could not understand why they were not at the PRO along with what I found on him there.

Lets hope that the records held at the Fleet Air Arm are kept for future generations, again many thanks.

David.

Hi David,

Dont apologize at all - enjoy the gab!

A fellow collector who knows his way around the records at Yeovilton is going to check on an RNR sailor for me - he copied some of the records for names I sent him a year or so ago. I have asked him why they are not at the PRO & the years the records cover - I'll let you know when he replies.

I had heard a while back that these records were apparently going to be destroyed if Yeovilton did not "take them on charge", so furtunate someone in authority there agreed to find a place for them!

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sapper Calling

Further to E-mail, here is a picture of George Russell Dixon as well as a further article from the paper on Lt Jefferson

Afraid it has not scanned very clearly, if you wish can send copies by snail mail.

post-24-1088792080.jpg

Have at long last been able to reply to your splendid e-mails, many many thanks.

David.

The fellow I know that goes to Yeovilton fairly regularly has replied concerning the records held at Yeovilton. Apparently they are those not wanted by the PRO (I dont know the reason for this tho) & consist of -

RND record cards, RNR service records, RN & RNVR Enlistment papers, & some RM personel files. They start at the turn of the 20th C & go to about 1924 for RN, RNVR, & RM, and to 1956 for RNR.

Bryan

• 4 years later...

Hi Richard

I Have Crew Lists For E50 & E55 As well as photos Also Of The B11

I Am Researching Theese 3 Subs Which My Grandfather Served On

Let Me Know If You Need Anything

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

It might be better to send Richard a message, if you look at his profile you'll see he isn't very active on the forum now.