Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submariners' Database

DirtyDick

Hello All

I am trying to compile a mini- database of known WW1 submariners to help with my future research. I have already written a book on the subject as a result of my MA research, but am hoping to expand upon the subject for a PhD. It would make things infinitely easier for me to have a list of WW1 submariners to hand when looking at crew composition, etc., rather than having to scan through lots of docs at the RNSM.

If anyone has any details of known submariner details, would you be kind enough to list the basic details as outlined below (may be simpler to cut-and-paste headers and fill in appropriate details. Information about submariners from other navies of the early 20th C. period would also be most welcome. (Have very little German or American personal information at present: could I apply to their naval records' departments?)

Name:

Date and Place of Birth:

Service Number:

Rank & Branch of Service (e.g. AB, Stoker etc.):

Ships and Submarines served upon and dates:

Any recommendations for conduct, bravery:

Award of any Prize money and details:

(Obviously, any little information will be of help so don't feel obliged to compile a massive list of ships/boats served upon, just number of boats and approximate duration of such service.)

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Richard

A booklet containing all submarine casualties from WW1 (taken from CWGC files) was published by THCL Books of Blackburn in 1999 (ISBN 0 948494 85 9). Compilers - Raymond and Jean Walsh.

Might help you.

If the title is "RN and RNVR Casualties in Submarine Service 1914-1918

R.R. Walsh, Jean M. Walsh " then one appears to be available at amazon.co.uk priced £21

Stuart

Stuart and Terry,

Thanks for the information; I never realised such a work existed. I'll have to see about getting a copy.

Cheers

Richard

(Through the magic of editing my post to save space, many thanks to SueL for the information provided below! Very comprehensive and just the kind of stuff.)

Whilst browsing the Times on line I came across a paragraph something like Officers and men of E 3. lost . Will try and find the date.

Stuart

Richard,

This might be of interest to you. I've copied it from a Word document and its lost some of the formatting but you should be able to 'decipher' it.

Crew members of H.M. Submarine E 47.

Name Rank Ser. No. Commemorated

Bell, Harold Petty Officer J/457 The Plymouth Naval Memorial

Bennett, George Whittle E.R.A. 4th Class M/16899 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Bentley, Henry Able Seaman J/21845 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Bridge, William Arthur Able Seaman J/29416 The Plymouth Naval Memorial

Buckingham, Walter Bertie Able Seaman 219507 The Plymouth Naval Memorial

Burnard, Matthew Rosevere Davey Stoker Petty Officer K/1894 The Plymouth Naval Memorial

Carre, Edward Cambridge * Lieutenant Not applicable The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Coward, Albert Samuel Chief E.R.A 1st Class 269238 The Plymouth Naval Memorial

Cresswell, Colin Fraser Lieutenant Not applicable The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Cuff, Charles George Kewick Stoker 1st Class K/14084 The Chatham Naval Memorial

Dwyer, Martin Stoker 1st Class K/22432 The Chatham Naval Memorial

Elder, Kieth Edward Lieutenant Not applicable The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Fellowes, Frank Stoker 1st Class K/18636 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Harper, John William Stoker 1st Class K/21430 The Chatham Naval Memorial

Howell, Charles Richard Stoker 1st Class K/22147 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Istead, Thomas William Stoker 1st Class K/26074 The Chatham Naval Memorial

Jeffrey, Cyril Joseph Ordinary Telegraphist J/39221 The Plymouth Naval Memorial

Johnson, Frank Petty Officer 235231 The Plymouth Naval Memorial

Kelsey, William Thomas Leading Stoker K/10196 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Lindsey, Edward Albert Stoker 1st Class K/20064 The Chatham Naval Memorial

Moss, Albert Leading Seaman 20982 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Nash, Charles Henry Signaller J/8441 The Plymouth Naval Memorial

Pitman, Frederick John Stoker 1st Class K/20826 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Rae, James Hall Stoker 1st Class K/14203 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Roberts, David Able Seaman J/5818 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Roper, George William Petty Officer 226588 The Chatham Naval Memorial

Smith, Thomas Michael Hawes Leading Telegraphist J/13685 The Chatham Naval Memorial

Tomlinson, John Curwen E.R.A. 1813.EA The Plymouth Naval Memorial

Vallance, Frederick Able Seaman 240105 The Chatham Naval Memorial

Warden, Stanley Robert Able Seaman J/14875 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Webster, Frederick Charles Able Seaman J/6758 The Portsmouth Naval Memorial

Wilkinson, Lewis Hallam E.R.A. 3rd Class The Chatham Naval Memorial

* Captain

John Tomlinson was born in Barrow-in-Furness. He was born in 1887 and had previously served on H.M. S/M E55.

I know where the wreck of E47 is - if you want lat/long details email me off-line.

Cheers.

Andy.

This is all excellent stuff; many thanks. :)

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

I have just picked up on yr post "Submariners Database".

I have several Submariners in my collection including a very rare & early WWI C.G.M. to a submariner, actually its the only one I have ever seen to a submariner. If you would like details I can supply. I have a couple casualties as well.

I would also be interested in obtaining a copy (if possible) of yr book on WWI submariners if a copy might be available for sale.

I dont have a copy of the casualty book that Stuart mentions & would like to obtain a copy of that also.

Bryan (Canada)

Guest Pete Wood

Another nice little book is Stoker's Submarine - the story of the Captain Dacre Stoker and the Australian AE2.

There is a fair amount about the crew's captivity in Turkish jails.

Hello and thanks,

RT Do you have the name of the book to hand? I've not read it and it seems ideal.

RNCVR,

I'll PM you with details of the book. Details of the submariners would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Guest Pete Wood
RT Do you have the name of the book to hand? I've not read it and it seems ideal.

Stoker's Submarine by Fred and Elizabeth Brenchley, published by Harper Collins.

ISBN 0 7322 6703 X.

First Published 2001.

I bought my copy in Australia, 4 years ago, for Aus $30 (about £10).

Hello Richard.

In view of your past extensive studies I suspect that you will already be aware of Horst Bredow and his superb archive at Cuxhaven, although "U-Boat Archiv" main claim to fame is the comprehensive WW2 data it holds, I was surprised at the amount of information it contains regarding the German submarine service of WW1.

The address for inquires is U-Boot-Archiv

Bahnhofstr. 57

27478 Cuxhaven

Germany

Telephone; 04722-322 Between9.30 & 12.00 GMT

Unfortunately the archive has no e-mail address (unless things have changed recently) as such it is the telephone, fax or conventional mail, if you telephone Horst , he speaks good English.

I thought it prudent to make mention of the above in view of your comment re foreign naval records, in the past I have had far more help from the U-Boat-Archive than from official German sources regarding WW1 submarines.

Again I suspect that you already know of the archive but just in case !

I wish you every success with your daunting project.

David.

Thanks, David, this is an excellent source: I assumed such a place existed but did not find the address.

I will (hopefully) be able to get a couple of equivalent German submariners' records to compare with their British counterparts; but may need to post them on the Forum for a translation! :)

Does anyone know of equivalent archives in France and America? (I read French well and English passably, so should be okay with these on my own!)

Thanks again and for all who have so far replied: I'm building up quite a collection.

Richard

Here is the link to another site covering WW1 U Boats and operations.

I have used the WW2 section to track the U Boat which my late father in law sank. It makes you think when you see "no survivors". Brave men on both sides

http://uboat.net/wwi/

Nigel

Richard.

I have the service papers of one of the crew of the C34, the last "C" Class to be completed on 17th September 1910, only one man , Frank Scoble survived from the crew of 19 when the C34 was sunk by the U52 commanded by Hans Walther off Fair Isle, Shetlands on Saturday 21st July 1917.

As it would seem that the papers are what you need towards your project I will send same probably over the week-end, as due to a recent move my "system"? is somewhat more haphazard than usual !

David.

Once again, thanks for all the links and offers of service details; it is much appreciated. The C-34 docs sound like just the right thing, David. Stoker's Submarine seems to only be available for sale from Australia, so I'll keep an eye out for an appearance on ebay, etc. as well. :)

Does anyone know whether similar US, French, Italian or Canadian Navy records are available, and if so, for what price?

Richard

Richard.

Thank you for your email, I will try to post papers on Monday.

David.

Guest Pete Wood
Stoker's Submarine seems to only be available for sale from Australia, so I'll keep an eye out for an appearance on ebay, etc. as well. :)

I'm more than happy to let you borrow my copy. Contact me off forum if you wish.....

Thanks, Peter,

I may very well take you up on your kind offer at some future time, if that is okay.

Thanks again :)

Richard

Richard.

Similar to the submission by Andy (Northern Soul) the following is the crew list of the C34 as at the time of her demise:-

Lt I.S. Jefferson

Sub-Lt T.S. Moore

Mate G.E. Tiller

PO. F.T. Head. P214768

LS. H.W. Mansfield C239091

LS. E.W. Stringer PJ7838

AB. A. Edwards C238353

AB. R.T. Gee DJ891

AB. W.E. Maynard DJ100678

AB. J. Tagg DJ12877

LSig. C.H. Dawe DJ10018

Tel. C. McLaren PJ26447

Tel. H. Moss PJ31348

CERA. H.B. Sillick D270914

ERA. W.M.J. Roser CM12906

SPO. R.A. Kieth P283814

LSto. F. Worrell PK10151

Sto. W.G. Playford CK21054

Sto. F. Scoble DK22307

Stoker Frank Scoble was the sole survivor of the sinking, and was picked up by the U52, and taken prisoner, Stoker William George Playford is the casualty that I have papers for which as promised (when found) will submit to this thread.

David.