Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gilbert Mapplebeck RFC

daggers

This early RFC pilot had a colourful career before losing his life in August 1915. One online account credits him with two DSOs, but can anyone kindly confirm this from an official source? He also had a Mention.

Daggers

Two cards amongst the MICs:-

Name: Mapplebeck

Regiment or Corps: Royal Flying Corps,Royal Flying Corps

Gives the details of his MID - I assume you've got that?

This one is more a standard MIC:-

Name: G W Mapplebeck

[Gilbert William Mapplebeck]

Regiment or Corps: Liverpool Attd RFC

Can's see anything obvious relating to DSOs, but I don't think they were always added.

The Distinguished Service Order, 1886-1923 indicates that Lieut. G W Mapplebeck, The Liverpool Regiment, received the DSO in the London Gazette if 18 February 1915. He was also once mentioned in despatches. There is no mention of a second DSO. Honour the Officers also indicates that he only received one DSO. Regards, Dick Flory

O'Moore Creagh & Humphris mentions only one DSO (LG 18.2.15) "For services in connection with operations in the field". He's listed as being a Lieutenant in the Liverpool Regiment.

No mention of his subsequent photography career, either, or his friendship with Patti Smith.

MID Dispatch of 8th October 1914

Gazette Issue 28945 published on the 20 October 1914. Page 8379

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28945/pages/8379

I suggest that the MIC for the Mention In Dispatches on Ancestry is for Gordon Whitfield Mapplebeck of the North Staffordshire Regiment.

Not unless he was in the RFC (a Lt) too, per aruda - it's definitely on that card: M.I.D. London Gaz 20.10.14, page 8379

The gentleman you mention is there too:-

Name: G W Mapplebeck

Regiment or Corps: Spec Res,Morth Staffordshrie Regt [sic]

His card is harder to read. Possibly DSO. Lg [1]4.12.17. Page 13069. Killed. Lieut (A/Captn)

No mention of his subsequent photography career, either, or his friendship with Patti Smith.

Gilbert William Mapplebeck was killed whilst flying on 24th August 1915 at Joyce Green, Dartford, Kent (RAeC Cert & Airmen Died) not much time for a photography career!

Not unless he was in the RFC (a Lt) too, per aruda - it's definitely on that card: M.I.D. London Gaz 20.10.14, page 8379

I apologise, I've found the one you were referring to.

What a response! Thanks to all. How confusing to have an unusual name like Mapplebeck and then to find there are two with the same initials.

It is the flier I am interested in.

It looks as though someone has attributed the Staffs man's DSO to the RFC.

D

O'Moore Creagh & Humphris have only one Mapplebeck listed. The book is divided into 2 sections - pre-1.1.16, and post 1.1.16. He is in the pre- (obviously), and there is no Mapplebeck in the post-

I can only assume, therefore, that the Liverpool Regiment one is the only one. Whether he transferred to RFC, or elsewhere, I know not. Interestingly, the entry is very brief (especially as the pre-1916 ones are normally quite verbose), and only gives his initials, GW; no real information at all.

And I do apologise, the photography career was a joke based on a senior moment - I misremebered Mapplethorpe :blush:

As the MIC says "Liverpool Attd RFC" I think I'm right in saying he was "attached" to the RFC (though I'm not really sure of the difference - assume it's not as definite/final as a transfer?).

Daggers

Have emailed you his AIR76 record

What a response! Thanks to all. How confusing to have an unusual name like Mapplebeck and then to find there are two with the same initials.

It is the flier I am interested in.

It looks as though someone has attributed the Staffs man's DSO to the RFC.

D

Both the Staff's man and the Liverpool (attd RFC) man were Mentioned in Dispatches, but only the latter was a DSO; see post #2 for the link to the Gazette for the DSO, he earned it with the RFC.

Gilbert William Roger Mapplebeck learned to fly in 1913 and entered France with the RFC in 1914. The RFC was a corps of the British Army,and officers often served on attachment rather than being transferred perminantly.

No, only the RAF was completely separate; that came into existance on 1st April 1918 on the merger of the RFC & RNAS.

• 5 years later...

I have just finished working on a book about the remarkable Gilbert Mapplebeck, in association with his nephew, Peter. It features the text of the two diaries that he kept, one including details of the Gembloux flight and other events, the second detailing the night bombing mission to Lille that ended with him being shot down, hidden by locals and then smuggled back to England. Using large amounts of archive material from the family and materials from the Records Office at Kew, we have been able to piece together the story of his 1 year in the RFC before he was killed at Joyce Green Aerodrome in Essex just two days short of his 23rd birthday.

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22426137.html

ghc

Thanks for posting that information. Christmas draws near...

My interest came from his listing on panel 23 of the Liverpool Town Hall memorial (of some some 13,000 names) where he is given no initials, rank of Captain, DSO and RFC (not King's Liverpool).

Sadly there are many errors in the roll which was compiled from information handed in from families and never cross-checked with anything official. I have tried to fill in some of the blanks but need more lifetimes!

Daggers

ghc

Thanks for posting that information. Christmas drawns near...

My interest came from his listing on panel 23 of the Liverpool Town Hall memorial (of some some 13,000 names) where he is given no initials, rank of Captain, DSO and RFC (not King's Liverpool).

Sadly there are many errors in the roll which was compiled from information handed in from families and never cross-checked with anything official. I have tried to fill in some of the blanks but need more lifetimes!

Daggers

His gravestone in Streatham Cemetery, Tooting in the Borough of Wandsworth states that he died as Captain G.W. Mapplebeck, D.S.O. "The King's Regiment, Attd Royal Flying Corps", 24th August 1915, Aged 22.

I have just finished working on a book about the remarkable Gilbert Mapplebeck, in association with his nephew, Peter. It features the text of the two diaries that he kept, one including details of the Gembloux flight and other events, the second detailing the night bombing mission to Lille that ended with him being shot down, hidden by locals and then smuggled back to England. Using large amounts of archive material from the family and materials from the Records Office at Kew, we have been able to piece together the story of his 1 year in the RFC before he was killed at Joyce Green Aerodrome in Essex just two days short of his 23rd birthday.

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22426137.html

Hello,

Does the book feature any 1914 mention(s) of Capt Hugh L. Reilly, please?

Errol

On 06/11/2015 at 06:54, topgun1918 said:

Joyce Green isn't in Essex - it's in north-west Kent.

Graeme

You're right. Just checked and, thank goodness, I didn't mention that in the book ... but I have seen it referred to as Essex elsewhere. Sorry.

On 06/11/2015 at 05:58, Errol Martyn said:

Hello,

Errol

Sorry, I can't find his name mentioned in relation to Gib Mapplebeck.

Errol Martyn, on 06 Nov 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

On 06/11/2015 at 05:58, Errol Martyn said:

Hello,

Errol

Sorry, I can't find his name mentioned in relation to Gib Mapplebeck.

Many thanks for checking.

Errol

On 06/11/2015 at 06:54, topgun1918 said:

Joyce Green isn't in Essex - it's in north-west Kent.

h

Graeme

Having been wondering how I managed to get the location of Joyce Green wrong and then came across this, taken from an official document, stored at Kew:

1). Estate of Gilbert William Roger Mapplebeck of 16, Croxteth Road, in the city of Liverpool. Lieutenant, R.F.C.

2). Date and place of death. Died on 25th August 1915 at Dartford in the county of Essex. Intestate, a bachelor.

3). Grantees. William Mapplebeck, the natural and lawful father and next of kin of the intestate.

4). Gross Value, £173.15.9

Have there been boundary changes in the last 100 years or is it a genuine mistake. Anyway, I've been through the book and made two corrections of facts that were based on this document.

Graham