Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers

Donald D

On 28/04/2020 at 16:20, Darren Little said:

According to some info they have from his soldiers small book, it is him, as the S/N matches up, can only go by what they’ve sent me. That Battalion and the 23rd were Sportmen Battalions of the Royal Fusiliers. His photo is of a chap definitely in his 40’s I think.

Harry Packer (the same, I think) is mentioned in the Feb 20 edition of the Edinburgh Evening News, along with other sportsmen such as C. P. McGahey, McIvor Jackson, and Lewis H. Lewis:

http://sportsmansgazette.blogspot.com/2015/02/february-20-1915.html

Can you share the photos? Would love to see them!

Thanks,

wbremner

Edited by wbremner

On 21/04/2020 at 17:40, Will Mahoney said:

Hello Andy, 

Hope you are well and still on the thread. My great great uncle Bernard Mahoney was in the 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers and was taken prisoner on 30.07.1916. I would be interested to read the records of the events from late 1915 onwards leading up to this point. Please could you share with me the war records of the battalion. I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards, Will Mahoney

I have Bernard James Mahoney in my Sportsman's database as attesting in Plymouth on or around 3rd Feb 1915. In all likelihood he was part of the "West Country" intake which became "C" Company. There was a group of Plymothians who all attested around the same time. Here's a sequence of articles about the West Country intake and C Company"

http://sportsmansgazette.blogspot.com/search/label/West Country Company

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Will Mahoney - may I ask, did your Uncle Bernard survive the war?  I ask because I am interested in finding out what happened to the 102 men of the  24th Battalion who were reported in the "Battalion War Diary" as "missing" after the action near Delville Wood on July 30th (on 31st).  At present I can only account for around half of them.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Robert. Will only ever made that one post and hasn't logged on since. I suggest you try sending him a private message; click on his name and an envelope icon will be on his profile. 

Michelle 

On 29/04/2020 at 20:25, Darren Little said:

Hi Will,

Have been on the 24th Batt. Royal Fusiliers war diary and I believe I’ve come across your great great uncle, whilst looking for something else, hope it is him, it’s from page 57, on the missing list no.4 on the 31st July 1916 - MAHONEY B J, S/N: 3050.. If got time, will try and cross ref it on a couple other websites to confirm it. Hope the images have uploaded ok.

All the best,

Darren.

E69114F4-19DB-4A52-BA5B-30ECEF08814D.jpeg

E399E561-F417-4E45-86A9-783C46EFB413.jpeg

Hi Darren,

Thank you for sharing. Yes, this is my great great uncle.

I have just downloaded the war diary too. Thanks for letting me know.

All the best,

Will

On 22/04/2020 at 00:44, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum Will. I have removed your email address from public view  as spam bots can harvest addresses from here.

Michelle 

Hi Michelle,

Thanks. 

Will

On 18/05/2020 at 18:20, wbremner said:

I have Bernard James Mahoney in my Sportsman's database as attesting in Plymouth on or around 3rd Feb 1915. In all likelihood he was part of the "West Country" intake which became "C" Company. There was a group of Plymothians who all attested around the same time. Here's a sequence of articles about the West Country intake and C Company"

http://sportsmansgazette.blogspot.com/search/label/West Country Company

Hi, what is your source for Bernard James Mahoney attesting in your database? Thanks for sharing the link to the articles. Very interesting. Will

On 26/02/2021 at 13:30, Robert Wynn Jones said:

Will Mahoney - may I ask, did your Uncle Bernard survive the war?  I ask because I am interested in finding out what happened to the 102 men of the  24th Battalion who were reported in the "Battalion War Diary" as "missing" after the action near Delville Wood on July 30th (on 31st).  At present I can only account for around half of them.

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately Bernard James Mahoney did not survive the war. He was captured during the action on 30.07.1916. He was registered as a Prisoner of War on 30.08.1916 and taken to Schneidemuhl Prisoner of War camp in north west Poland. He was registered at the camp on 14.10.1016. Sadly he died in captivity on 17.10.1918. His name is included on a memorial near the camp to British soldiers who died in captivity. He is buried in CWGC Berlin south western cemetery. 

Perhaps several others were also captured and taken prisoner from the action on 30.07.1916. I note a few other Royal Fusiliers were captured on the same date in the POW registration.

Will

1 minute ago, Will Mahoney said:

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately Bernard James Mahoney did not survive the war. He was captured during the action on 30.07.1916. He was registered as a Prisoner of War on 30.08.1916 and taken to Schneidemuhl Prisoner of War camp in north west Poland. He was registered at the camp on 14.10.1016. Sadly he died in captivity on 17.10.1918. His name is included on a memorial near the camp to British soldiers who died in captivity. He is buried in CWGC Berlin south western cemetery. 

Perhaps several others were also captured and taken prisoner from the action on 30.07.1916. I note a few other Royal Fusiliers were captured on the same date in the POW registration.

Will

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the information.