Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers

Donald D

My grandfather, W. H. Mead 51148, was gassed in the fighting around Arras during either the first or second battle of the Scarpe. Can anyone with a copy of the war diary for the 24th Royal Fusiliers please do a look up for the months of April and May 1917 to see whether there are any mentions of gas attacks by the Germans during that period.

I know, from the History of the 2nd Division, that during the 2nd battle of the Scarpe the 22nd Royal Fusiliers had a number of men gassed during their attack on Oppy Wood on the right hand of the Divisional attack. The 24th were attacking on the left hand towards Arleux at the same time, and wondered if there was a general drenching of the attacking forces over the whole area? That is the only mention in either the History of the 2nd Division or the History of the Royal Fusilers, that I can find.

Is there a diary for the 20th battalion. I have had a question about why there were so many Irish in it.

Hi Donald

There is no diary for the 24th at Kew - don't know why - maybe one exists somewhere but if so, can they lend it to Kew for digitising please! There are diaries for 22nd and 23rd from 99 Brigade which I have. I have read the report for 28th/29th April on the Oppy attack and there is no mention of gas, however, the diary says that 19 were more or less seriously gassed as the Germans bombarded them with gas on the night of the 29th/30th - after the attack.

Healdav - 20th are online at Kew in 19 Brigade reference WO 95/2423. You can download for £3.50. As you now get 1915-18 all together there is a good chance you may find an answer.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I believe that the 24th Battalion's War Diary can only be read at Kew. It certainly isn't available online.A number of people on the forum have the transcript and I was hoping to attract their interest! Once again thanks for your reply.

Interesting. I did a number of different searches for the 24th in the main NA database - not the online. They did not have the 24th listed. If someone does have a copy the NA would like to know I think. Or their search engine did a real funny on me and I have had success at finding some pretty obscure documents in the past.

Jim

Jim

National Archives have it listed online under reference "WO 95/1349 5 Infantry Brigade: 24 Battalion Royal Fusiliers 1915 Nov. - 1919 Mar.". I'm not sure I've understood your reply correctly, are you suggesting it is now missing?

Steve

Damn - as I have famously said in the past on this Forum:

I must go to Specsavers!

Thank you for putting me right. I must stop looking at small text on the screen late at night! B)

Jim

Good Morning All.

I have a "Full" typed copy from November 1915/ until December 1918 of the war diary for the 24th Bn Royal rusiliers (2nd Sportsmen).Just let me know if anyone needs any info.

Regards Andy

Good Morning Again.

I also have a "full" typed copy of the 4th Battalion Royal Fusiliers from the begining of the war until the end of the war,once again if anyone needs any info please ask.

Regards Andy

• 7 years later...
On 3/5/2010 at 09:59, andrew pugh said:

Good Morning All.

I have a "Full" typed copy from November 1915/ until December 1918 of the war diary for the 24th Bn Royal rusiliers (2nd Sportsmen).Just let me know if anyone needs any info.

Regards Andy

Do you have information on what happened on July 298 1916. I am looking into the circumstances of Private Randolph Spencer Loibl's death.

Many thanks

Hi mogodonman

The Diary entry states the following;

28th July 1916;

Trones Wood. Relieved 17th Battalion Royal Fusiliers. B company in the wood, remainder of battalion in Longueval Alley. Very hot day, several casualties. 

29th July 1916 Trenches

Relieved the 2nd Ox and Bucks L.I in front line from southern edge of Delville Wood to Waterlot Farm inclusive. Weather very hot, several casualties from shell fire.

30th July 1916.

At 4.52 a,m C Company attacked the German trench 600 yards E of Waterlot Farm.The attack was unsuccessful owing to the wire not having been cut and difficulty of maintaining  direction owing to the thick mist. Of 3 Officers and 114 other ranks who made the attack. 1 Officer (Wounded) and 11 other ranks got back. Captain  C S Meares was killed on the German wire, leading his men. There were several other casualties from very heavy shell fire.Very hot day.

31st July 1916

Battalion was relieved at 3.15 a.m by the 2nd Battalion H L I and went back into reserve trenches S.W Montauban. Captain G J Edwards was killed during the relief and there were several casualties. An exceedingly hot day.

Hope this helps. If you need any more info please don't hesitate in asking

Regards

Andy 

Hi mogodonman

The cemetery he is buried in is Dive Copse British Cemetery, Sailly Le Sec is a great distance away from where his battalion was fighting on the 28/07/1916. He most likely was wounded and shipped back there where he died of his wounds.

Regards

Andy 

• 3 months later...
On 18/12/2017 at 20:13, andrew pugh said:

Hi mogodonman

The cemetery he is buried in is Dive Copse British Cemetery, Sailly Le Sec is a great distance away from where his battalion was fighting on the 28/07/1916. He most likely was wounded and shipped back there where he died of his wounds.

Regards

Andy 

Many apologies for the woefully slow response and many thanks for your help

• 4 months later...

To those who have a full transcript of the 24th Fusiliers war diaries. My great grandfather was in the 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry as part of the 5th infantry that relieved the 99th Infantry on the 8th September 1918. He was killed that day - the only one recorded to have been killed in that area on that day. There were four other injured. Could someone have a look to see what is recorded on that day to see if there is any explanation for his death or those injuries sustained by the other men?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

From the 2 HLI WD there was one O/R killed and 5 wounded that day. The 5th Brigade had just relieved the 99th Brigade, so there would have been the usual strafing of the front lines to try to catch out the incoming and outgoing troops, and your GGrandfather would have been unlucky to have been caught in the shelling. The 24th RF were in reserve positions at Hermies but, despite that, 3 were wounded and 5 killed, so no position was safe near the front line.

• 1 year later...
On 05/03/2010 at 09:59, andrew pugh said:

Good Morning All.

Regards Andy

Hello Andy, 

Hope you are well and still on the thread. My great great uncle Bernard Mahoney was in the 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers and was taken prisoner on 30.07.1916. I would be interested to read the records of the events from late 1915 onwards leading up to this point. Please could you share with me the war records of the battalion. I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards, Will Mahoney

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Will. I have removed your email address from public view  as spam bots can harvest addresses from here.

Michelle 

Hi there, I’m new to the forum, as I’m researching for a mate, a Harry Packer who used to play for the rugby club, NEWPORT RFC, we believe he was in the 24th Batt. Royal Fusiliers and was wondering if there were any/photos etc of him, if possible on here, or if anybody has something or can point me in the right direction. My mate has a few things of his, inc a group photo, a single photo, a pay book and some German documents that were all found in the attic of the rugby clubhouse. I’ve just purchased the War Diary off the NA, which I will have a gander at as well. Thanks in advance and fingers crossed.

All the best.

Darren Little.

Is this the chap, born 1868 ? http://www.historyofnewport.co.uk/players/players.php?id=000195

It's highly unlikely he was in WW1, was there a son ?

Dave

According to some info they have from his soldiers small book, it is him, as the S/N matches up, can only go by what they’ve sent me. That Battalion and the 23rd were Sportmen Battalions of the Royal Fusiliers. His photo is of a chap definitely in his 40’s I think.

If you can get access to the British Newspaper Archives there are some articles for Harry Packer which confirm his service.

Dave

WELSH COUNCIL MEET

... exceptional domestic or business responsibilities prevent them joining the colours.” NEWPORT PLAYER JOINS THE FUSILIERS Mr. Harry Packer, a well-known ex-Newport and Welsh Rugby forward, has joined the Sportsman Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, and goes to ...

Published: Wednesday 02 December 1914
Newspaper: Western Mail

SPORTSMEN AND THE WAR

... second battalion are C. M. McGahey, ex-captain of the Essex eleven; Mclvor Jackson, the Surrey cricketer; among footballers, Harry Packer, Welsh Rugby forward; Lewis R. Lewis,, Welsh international; Robert M. Miles, captain of Pembroke College, Cambridge, cricket ...

Published: Thursday 17 December 1914
Newspaper: Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser
County: Lancashire, England

PAVILIONS FINE DRAMA

... National Eisteddfod for I9IS. Aire; the guarantee fund exceeds .£l,OOO. and . scriptions are growing apace. NEED SR FITS. Harry Packer, the ex-Welsh internal.r. forward, writing home from France -d I think are getting the upper hand (hem now. lam quite sure ...

Published: Saturday 09 September 1916

lEET AT WEMBLEY

... Girlie 9.30 Craven. Bright Sandhills Manager ot the British Rugby team which toured 9outh Afriea in 1924. Mr. Harry Packer, has died at Newport, aged 77. He played seven times for Wales between 1893 and 1896. and was a former member the Welsh R.U. Selection ...

Published: Monday 27 May 1946
Newspaper: Daily Herald
Edited by davidbohl

2 hours ago, davidbohl said:

If you can get access to the British Newspaper Archives there are some articles for Harry Packer which confirm his service.

Dave

WELSH COUNCIL MEET

... exceptional domestic or business responsibilities prevent them joining the colours.” NEWPORT PLAYER JOINS THE FUSILIERS Mr. Harry Packer, a well-known ex-Newport and Welsh Rugby forward, has joined the Sportsman Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, and goes to ...

Published: Wednesday 02 December 1914

SPORTSMEN AND THE WAR

... second battalion are C. M. McGahey, ex-captain of the Essex eleven; Mclvor Jackson, the Surrey cricketer; among footballers, Harry Packer, Welsh Rugby forward; Lewis R. Lewis,, Welsh international; Robert M. Miles, captain of Pembroke College, Cambridge, cricket ...

Published: Thursday 17 December 1914
Newspaper: Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser
County: Lancashire, England

PAVILIONS FINE DRAMA

... National Eisteddfod for I9IS. Aire; the guarantee fund exceeds .£l,OOO. and . scriptions are growing apace. NEED SR FITS. Harry Packer, the ex-Welsh internal.r. forward, writing home from France -d I think are getting the upper hand (hem now. lam quite sure ...

Published: Saturday 09 September 1916

lEET AT WEMBLEY

... Girlie 9.30 Craven. Bright Sandhills Manager ot the British Rugby team which toured 9outh Afriea in 1924. Mr. Harry Packer, has died at Newport, aged 77. He played seven times for Wales between 1893 and 1896. and was a former member the Welsh R.U. Selection ...

Published: Monday 27 May 1946
Newspaper: Daily Herald

Hi David, thanks for that, some great info there indeed, I’ll try those links as well, to see if they have any archives as well, plus will see if I can get on the British newspaper archive too, via FMP, Ancestry & FWR’s. Those are tidy comments to be forwarded on the club’s historian, who I think will be well pleased and maybe expand on too. Thank you again. All the best. Stay Safe.

On 21/04/2020 at 23:40, Will Mahoney said:

Hello Andy, 

Hope you are well and still on the thread. My great great uncle Bernard Mahoney was in the 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers and was taken prisoner on 30.07.1916. I would be interested to read the records of the events from late 1915 onwards leading up to this point. Please could you share with me the war records of the battalion. I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards, Will Mahoney

Hi Will,

Have been on the 24th Batt. Royal Fusiliers war diary and I believe I’ve come across your great great uncle, whilst looking for something else, hope it is him, it’s from page 57, on the missing list no.4 on the 31st July 1916 - MAHONEY B J, S/N: 3050.. If got time, will try and cross ref it on a couple other websites to confirm it. Hope the images have uploaded ok.

All the best,

Darren.

E69114F4-19DB-4A52-BA5B-30ECEF08814D.jpeg

E399E561-F417-4E45-86A9-783C46EFB413.jpeg