Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Liverpool Regiment PoWs

high wood

This picture of three prisoners of war has the names N P Frederickson, E Tait and R J Voce written on the back along with 11/King's.

The man on the left (Frederickson?) appears to be Royal Scots Fusiliers and the man on the right has 1 King's on his epaulette.

I have found a Pte Norman Frederickson, 34681 KLR, an Ernest Tait 10520 KLR and a Richard Voce Pte 11397 KLR. Does anyone know if any of these men were prisoners of war?

post-6480-1267362395.jpg

Frederickson was a POW with 1 KLR (his papers exist)

E Tait possibly Edward Tait No 356083 (Liverpool Scottish) - not good on uniforms!

RJ Voce was 1 KLR

No info as to whether the other two were POWs

The note on the PC is probably 1 KLR vice 11 KLR

Promenade

Promenade,

thank you for the confirmation. I had missed Edward Tait, 356083 (Liverpool Scottish). The chap at the left is definitely wearing a RSF cap badge in his glengary but I can find no trace of anyone called Frederickson serving in the RSF. I thought that the RSF were not a kilted unit so definitely something funny going on with the uniform.

Many thanks,

Simon.

• 11 years later...

Pte. 10502 Ernest Tait and Pte. 11397 Richard Voce were both captured at Guillemont on the 9th August 1916 as was Pte. 34681 Norman Philip Frederickson.

Tait - Copy.jpg

7 hours ago, high wood said:

Pte. 10502 Ernest Tait and Pte. 11397 Richard Voce were both captured at Guillemont on the 9th August 1916 as was Pte. 34681 Norman Philip Frederickson.

Spot on ..... and meticulously, although curiously in relation to the photo, recorded by the Germans as Frederickson from C Company, 1/8th Kings Liverpool Regiment (PA 5932) and Tait and Voce from C Company 1st King's Liverpool Regiment (PA 5939).  The 8th Battalion was Liverpool Irish.   

On 05/08/2021 at 16:47, TullochArd said:

recorded by the Germans as Frederickson from C Company, 1/8th Kings Liverpool Regiment (PA 5932

My grandfather, Norman Hall, was in the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers on 9 August 1916, so in the same brigade as the 1/8th King's Liverpool Regiment (the 164th Brigade). In his diary, A Lancashire Fusilier's First World War, he gives an account from his perspective of the engagement at Guillemont in which these men were captured, especially mentioning the "brave fight of the 1/8th Liverpool Irish", who became detached from the rest of the attacking force in the heat of battle.

Edited by A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy

As an addendum to my last post, my grandad specifically mentions the aftermath with regard to the 1/4th Loyal North Lancashires, to the effect that "the remaining survivors were captured and marched back next day up the slope to Ginchy in full view of our troops across the valley who were powerless to help them"; presumably the fate of any survivors from the 1/8th Liverpool Irish might have been similar.

Fascinating ........ and we also have a Pte G. Reeves 1/8th Liverpool Regiment (1 of 33 names) commemorated on the on the Schneidemühl Prison Camp "Black Memorial"

Schneidemühl.jpeg

What is the significance of the "Black Memorial"? Does it signify death through mistreatment or am I overthinking this and it just refers to the colour? There seem to have been some quite elaborate cemeteries in German Camps during the Great War.

55 minutes ago, high wood said:

What is the significance of the "Black Memorial"? Does it signify death through mistreatment or am I overthinking this and it just refers to the colour? There seem to have been some quite elaborate cemeteries in German Camps during the Great War.

....... my understanding is it relates to the black marble of the pre-war civilian memorial utilised by the prisoners to commemorate those who were buried at Schneidemühl.