Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Honorable Discharge Certificate from WW1

Guest ElaineSk

Hi , my name is Elaine and I've just registered. I hope you don't mind me posting to ask a question regards to this certificate/parchment I've scanned and posted link below. I wasn't sure which thread to ask on. My grandfather was a soldier in the Royal Scots in WW1, he was honorablt discharged due to injury........here is the certificate or parchment that was hand painted. could anyone tell me any more regards to the history behind them. Have searched the internet but couldn't see anything remotely like this. Its quite a large certificate so I couldn't scan all of it.

My father was a POW in Aberdeenshire, he was a German. I have some documents from his time as a POW at the camp in Monymusk and wonder where I could get more info about these papers, thank you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/fifelass/WW1.jpg

I used the term "discharge certificate" in the search box, and there are a number of posts that might be of interest, this is a link to one- http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...rge+certificate Regards, Paul. Now we don't usualy mention 'the other war' but there looks to be a bit on the web- here is one link- http://www.monymusk.com/index.asp?subsec=18 I just searched for Monymusk Camp. It might be worth finding out if there is a local museum or historical society. Perhaps someone will be kind enough to tell you of a source for helping you with your fathers documents. This link looks interesting- http://www.pegasusarchive.org/pow/frames.htm

Hi Elaine, and welcome.

He has two Medals Index Cards - the first is the more standard one, listing his medal entitlement (1915 Star, Victory and British), giving his "theatre of war first served in as "(1)" [France, I believe] and the date of entry therein as 1-6-15.

Name: David Scott

Regiment or Corps: Royal Scots Fusiliers, Royal Scots

Regimental Number: 17147, 45380

The second:-

Name: David Scott

Regiment or Corps: Royal Scots

Regimental Number: 45380

is what I've come to recognise as used more for the Silver War Badge (sometimes called the "Silver Wound Badge" or "SWB" you'll see referred to here a lot - apparently given to men to prevent women assuming they were cowards), but your grandfather's doesn't specify that it is an SWB. It gives his date of enlistment as 8.2.15 and date of discharge as 15.10.19 (perhaps the SWBs had been phased out by then?), under Para 392 XVI KR (King's Regulations), which is the same specification on my great-uncle's card for an SWB. My understanding is it was a general catch-all "no longer fit for war service". It also says "Action taken: List D/A/1355" (which might help the experts on here).

If you're in the UK you can obtain copies of these cards for £2 each from the National Archives, but I can never navigate the site! I'm sure someone will be able to provide you with a link.

I can't immediately see any surviving service records for him under either number (you may be aware that only around 30% survived WW2) but if you know his year and place of birth it might help - sometimes the number's illegible or not added for whatever reason. Everything helps.

Louise

My father was a POW in Aberdeenshire, he was a German. I have some documents from his time as a POW at the camp in Monymusk and wonder where I could get more info about these papers, thank you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/fifelass/WW1.jpg

Hi, Elaine!

Welcome to the Forum.

You have an interesting pedigree. Was your grand-father in the Royal Scots your maternal grand-father? Did your father stay on in Britain after WW II? Pardon the questions, seems like an interesting story. I am nominally a Hun but actually am in large part English and Scots, but my Brit forebearers tended to marry Germans, move to Germany, and were about the only people in the family who were enthusiastic about that AH fellow.

Re: your father, are his papers in English, or do you have some documents in German? I do not study WW II, but I do collect and study German WW I documents, which are rather similar, and can read the old handwriting systems and understand the document conventions. If you need help with German documents or German inscriptions in English documents contact me. I just noticed that my mailbox is full but I will try to make a bit of space there.

Pardon the quasi-personal questions, but you broached the topic.

Bob Lembke

Elaine probably wont be able to use the personal message system yet untill she has made a few more posts Bob. Good that you are offering to help her. I hope she checks this post soon. You could try to PM her-that would show up in her email if it works. Regards, Paul. PS My great grandfather was a barber from Berlin who came to England at the start of the 1900's. I often wonder about unknown relatives who would have been on 'the other side'.

but your grandfather's doesn't specify that it is an SWB. It gives his date of enlistment as 8.2.15 and date of discharge as 15.10.19 (perhaps the SWBs had been phased out by then?), under Para 392 XVI KR (King's Regulations), which is the same specification on my great-uncle's card for an SWB. My understanding is it was a general catch-all "no longer fit for war service". It also says "Action taken: List D/A/1355" (which might help the experts on here).

Louise

Action Taken List D/A/1355 means that he was awarded a Silver War Badge + there is a W for wounds next to the Para 392 reference.

Steve

Guest ElaineSk

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. Its sad you grow up with loved ones who were in the wars and you never really get the hance to ask them about their war days. My maternal grandfather lived up north and we lived near Edinburgh so when we spent time together its not something we talked about. I lost my grandfather back in 1981, my died died in 1977 and my mother died only 4 years ago. A suitcase of bits and pieces had many of these documents and bits nad pieces from my dad's time as POW in Monymusk. He never really talked about the war because of the shame he felt for the Hitler atrocities. My grandfather I know had shrapnel in his foot since the war that had it been removed, gangrene would have set in and probably amputation thereafter so it was left there to cause unbearable pain for many decades.

My father was captured within a few years of the war in Norway, tranferred firstly Devizes, Wilts but because he spoke Oxford English fluently he was transferred to Monymusk. Quite funny really as anyone that knows the Aberdonian accent would agree its sounds no more like English than German does.......lol. He received a dear John letter from his wife back in Germany who ran off with an American stationed over there and he then met my mum and they fell in love.

The bits and pieces are related to the POW camps, one document about his currencies impounded when captured, a reference from the camp officer after he was released and his identity card. My son is in possession of my father's leather bound hand made album of war photos of the ships, my father was on, the germans in Trondheim and of other ships, u-boats etc. I look at it with sadness as to all the lives lost on both sides and I think with great love of the man that was my father and I think that I nor my lovely children would be here had my father not been captured.

Thank you once again and I'll check out the links posted by you.