Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Alan Meacham RNAS/RAF

IJDALLINGER

I have recently been forwarded some information on the above Australian officer who it would seem was transferred from RNAS Manston to RAF Stow Maries upon the amalgamation of the two services in April 1918. Is there any information out there held by members please?

There is a Probationary Flight Officer [tempy] RNAS, Alan Illingworth Meacham, seniority 23 Aug. 17, in the October 1917 Navy List.

David.

Records at Kew

ADM 273/18 Page 3: Alan Illingworth Meacham. RNAS Officers Service

Name Meacham, Alan Illingworth Date 30 January 1898

Catalogue reference AIR 76/336

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=4

Name Meacham, Alan Illingworth Date of Birth: 30 January 1898

Catalogue reference AIR 76/343

Records at Kew

ADM 273/18 Page 3: Alan Illingworth Meacham. RNAS Officers Service

Name Meacham, Alan Illingworth Date 30 January 1898

Catalogue reference AIR 76/336

Name Meacham, Alan Illingworth Date of Birth: 30 January 1898

Catalogue reference AIR 76/343

Thank you very much both of you. Seems from what I have he was not over enamoured at his transfer from the RNAS to RFC and took it out on Stow Maries.

Thanks to all once again. :rolleyes:

Seems from what I have he was not over enamoured at his transfer from the RNAS to RFC and took it out on Stow Maries.

I don't blame him! Plus when he was transferred to the RAF he was demoted, along with his fellows in the RNAS. Enough to annoy many of them.

I don't blame him! Plus when he was transferred to the RAF he was demoted, along with his fellows in the RNAS. Enough to annoy many of them.

Steady. :thumbsup:

I have recently been forwarded some information on the above Australian officer who it would seem was transferred from RNAS Manston to RAF Stow Maries upon the amalgamation of the two services in April 1918. Is there any information out there held by members please?

Can you confirm his Australian nationality for me as I do not seem to have him on my list of 194 Australians that served in the RNAS.

Regards,

Andrew

Can you confirm his Australian nationality for me as I do not seem to have him on my list of 194 Australians that served in the RNAS.

Regards,

Andrew

Well in the magazine article I first saw him in he was said to be Australian but in his record of service it would seem not. Probably the answer.

Well in the magazine article I first saw him in he was said to be Australian but in his record of service it would seem not. Probably the answer.

Thanks for that,

Don't be too quick to write it off. I wonder if he lived in Australia pre war or was educated here, I know that although Arthur 'Mary' Coningham was born in Australia, he lived pre war in New Zealand and he always considered himself a New Zealander, the same with Oswald Watt born in England but very much an Australian, Watt was quoted as saying, "I am an Australian and I have no manners".

Do you have the magzines name so I can cross reference it? Birth place is not always the definition of nationality.

Andrew.

• 10 years later...

Hi 

I am Phil Meacham the grandson of Alan Illingworth Meacham and can provide a fair bit of info about him if you would like it.

He was definately born a pom but spent the last half of his life here in Australia.

I have a box containing letters that he wrote to his mother about the day before his first flight and the day of his first flight.

He was training in Stowe Marie and flew a sopwith camel tail # H742  Called MAY MISCHIEF in the 152 squadron night fighting scouts in France 1917-19

R.N.A.S    R.A.F   B.E.F  .

I have a solid silver model of his plane with all this info  stamped into it and I have a couple of photos of his plane and him I also still have the 8 day clock from his instrument panel.

I hope this helps

Regards Phil.

Alan Illingworth Meacham was a U.K. resident from his birth to some years after the Great War.  He was born at Maidstone, Kent

on 30 January 1898, and his family was living at Rock Ferry, Cheshire, during and after the war.  He married Doris Kendall Gordon

at Rock Ferry, on 25 January 1922, and the Cheshire Parish Register listed Rock Ferry as his residence.  His parents, Charles

Stephen Meacham & Florence (Wood) Meacham, were married in 1885 at Lichfield, Staffordshire, where Charles was born in

January, 1861 (Christened 27 January 1861).  Charles's parents, Thomas & Mary Meacham, were both born in the U.K. and

were lifelong U.K. residents.  As Phil said in his post, Alan lived in Australia during the second half of his life rather than

prior to or during the Great War.  His R.A.F. service included posting to E.F. with 152 Squadron on 18 October 1918.

Josquin

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2010 at 21:58, IJDALLINGER said:

I am currently researching Alan Illingworth Meacham.  Phil, please could you send a message to me to establish contact.  Joe