Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Life sentences

howardian

Of the 1000+ men sentenced to death in WW!,around 700 had their sentence commuted to be replced by a life term to be served at the war's end. I believe they were then sent back to their Units,

Of those who survived the war,did they all actually serve their life term?

Of the 1000+ men sentenced to death in WW!,around 700 had their sentence commuted to be replced by a life term to be served at the war's end. I believe they were then sent back to their Units,

Of those who survived the war,did they all actually serve their life term?

I have read that over 2300 were sentenced to death. It has been suggested that the disparity in similar statistics (the number actually shot) may be due to statistics for all executed for all reasons, including criminal acts (rape, murder, etc.), vs. the number executed for military offences. I have seen the 2300 men figure cited repeatedly, but I am not an authority here.

Bob Lembke

A great many sentenced to be shot subsequently had their sentences suspended and were sent back to their units. As discussed in an earlier thread Haig claimed this to be his doing. I think one or two subsequently transgressed and paid the penalty but most who survived the war were subsequently discharged to civilian life. I suspect the same applied to suspended lifers.

Cut and paste job on what I have put on another thread today

No need to reinvent the wheel, you want

Oram and Putkowski's ' Death Sentences passed by military courts of the British Army'

Paperback 132 pages

ISBN 978 1 903427 26 2

The book

This book makes available information relating to more than 3,000 soldiers and civilians sentenced to death by military courts of the British Army during the First World War and its aftermath. Details of these individuals are presented in two lists – one chronological according to the date of sentencing, the other alphabetical – together with Public Record Office numbers. Gerard Oram’s introduction succinctly explains the guidelines he has followed in compiling the information contained here.

Cut and paste job on what I have put on another thread today

No need to reinvent the wheel, you want

Oram and Putkowski's ' Death Sentences passed by military courts of the British Army'

Paperback 132 pages

ISBN 978 1 903427 26 2

The book

This book makes available information relating to more than 3,000 soldiers and civilians sentenced to death by military courts of the British Army during the First World War and its aftermath. Details of these individuals are presented in two lists – one chronological according to the date of sentencing, the other alphabetical – together with Public Record Office numbers. Gerard Oram's introduction succinctly explains the guidelines he has followed in compiling the information contained here.

THank you I shall check the book but before I do,does it give information on what happened to those sentenced to life, if they survived the war Did they serve their sentence?

This is the link to the other thread I mentioned