Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8 Bn KRRC at Roclincourt July 1916

shinglma

I am researching a great-uncle who died at Roclincourt on 2 July 1916. Letters of condolence report that he was killed following the springing of a great mine by the Germans at Roclincourt late on 1 July 1916 and the subsequent fight for the crater. This is borne out by the war diary which speaks of the largest mine yet sprung by the Germans on the Western Front. Yet Arras in July 1916 was a quiet sector and this incident does not appear in any book I have seen. Anybody got any information? Thanks

14th (Light) Division of which 8th KRRC were a part had been in the Arras sector since we had relieved the French around Roclincourt and Arras since the Spring of 1916. While I don't have any specific info re this mine explosion to hand, I do have the KRRC chronicles for 1916 and will have a look and post another reply later on.

The front line from the northern suburb of Arras (St Nicholas) up to Roclincourt was a very quiet sector in regards to infantry actions. However, both sides were very busy in mining operations trying to blow each other off the face of the earth. If you can get a copy of a trench map for the area you will see there are many craters marked on it.

When I was visiting the Somme a couple of weeks ago I saw a newly published softback book concerning Arras in the Great War that has been published by Arras Tourist Office (or somthing like that). I only flicked through it quickly, but I noticed there was a chapter on underground mining operations for the Roclincourt area. It shows a map of many of the mines and craters. Perhaps another forum member might have a bit more info on the book and where to get it.

The 5th Division held this front from February to June, 1916, and their Divisional History states that it was the most quietest and pleasant period of the war.

However, on 4 June, 1916, the Germans launched a very heavy and concentrated artillery barrage on a sector of the front line near Roclincourt which was held by B and C Coys of the 15th Royal Warwicks (2nd Birmingham). After a pause in the shellfire, making the Warwicks think it was over and they started to assess the damage to the trenches. The barrage started again this time the Germans also blew FIVE mines. Three of which were in the sector held by the 15th RWR. One was actually right on B Coy front line. Then the Germans also launched a large scale trench raid which was estimated to be around 500 strong.

The 15th RWR had about 120 casualties of which around 70 were killed during this incident.

If you need a copy of a map for area I can e-mail you one.

Regards

Terry

Thanks Paul and Terry for your replies and offer of help. I am interested in what Terry has to say about the mining operations - i am aware that there was more than one mine detonated by the Germans in this area in the period in question. If you could provide any further information via posting or e-mailing me the trench map I would be most grateful.

Many thanks and kind regards

Mike