Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Heavy Artillery/South African Infantry

SteveE

Does anybody know if Nominal Rolls exist for the South African Heavy Artillery and South African Infantry for 1917?

My researches have found at least 46 men of the 25th Royal Fusiliers who deserted the unit during an eight month period of 1917. At least 11 of these men (fraudulently) re-enlisted into the S.A.H.A. or S.A.I. and I suspect that a good percentage of the other 35 did too. Just wondering how to research this area.

All suggestions welcome.

Steve

. . . Nominal Rolls exist for the South African Heavy Artillery and South African Infantry for 1917?

Steve

There is a nominal roll for the SAHA at the SANDF but it is so large that each page would require about 8 A4 size copies which would then have to be joined up.

The roll is in order of regimental number BUT anybody who had enlisted in the UK would have been given a number in another series differentiated by an X for example X302. I am not sure whether this roll exists as a lot of the UK records were culled on return

The easiest option may be to get the service records if you have names.

I am not sure about the SAI.

Carl

Hi Carl

Many thanks for the reply.

'My' men all enlisted whilst in South Africa so won't have X prefixed numbers, there are four men who I've identifed as serving with the S.A.H.A. and they had numbers between 1457 and 1684, the rest enlisted into the S.A.I.

I have a list of the 46 names but how useful this will be I don't know because some of the men re-enlisted into the South African forces under an alias. I was hoping that a nominal roll existed so that it could be checked fairly easily to identify those who re-enlisted under their real name.

Do you know how easy it is to get information/service records from SANDF if I only have a name (and possibly not the correct one at that?) and where do I apply? Is it this address?......

Documentation Centre of the SANDF

The Senior Staff Officer

Documentation Centre

Department of Defence

Private Bag X289

PRETORIA, 0001

Regards

Steve

Steve

That address is correct but the personnel records are here

Ina Building

Church Street

Pretoria

Telephone: + 27 12 322-6350/9

Facsimile: + 27 12 339-4631

Enquiries: Ms T Schneider (Extension 211)

eMail: sandfdoc@mweb.co.za

The response can be variable and I would suggest a phone call.

The system is unsophisticated and the files are alphabethical under the surname as enlisted (but whether there is a cross reference to the real name or the alias . . . .) and copying that huge register for names between 1457 and 1684 might in fact be possible as a first step.

I use Graham Du Toit and his eMail is gcldt dot udfres at webmail dot co dot za

He is a retired SAAF Colonel and his work is very good.

His fixed telephone is +27 12 662 3596.

Carl

Edited by Carl Hoehler

Carl

Many thanks again, I suspect that hitting the SANDF with a list of 46 possible names may not elicit too positive a response. I think that in the first instance I'll email Graham and see where that takes me.

Regards

Steve