Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND or Engineer expert

sapperwho

On my grandfathers Joe Metcalfe RND No D/5121 Royal Engineer No 244367 and Labour Corps No 353306 Hurt Certificate is the name of his officer Major G.H.Harrisson and the signature of his lance corporal who witnessed the injury Donald Stewart 2nd Field Company RND.I would like to know if Donald Stewart survived the war or not?

On my grandfathers Joe Metcalfe RND No D/5121 Royal Engineer No 244367 and Labour Corps No 353306 Hurt Certificate is the name of his officer Major G.H.Harrisson and the signature of his lance corporal who witnessed the injury Donald Stewart 2nd Field Company RND.I would like to know if Donald Stewart survived the war or not?

This could be him, do you have a service number for him from the "Hurt Certificate"?

Name:STEWART, DONALD

Initials:D

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit Text:Hood Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death:13/10/1917

Service No:Z/6661

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:I. P. 14.

Cemetery:LA BRIQUE MILITARY CEMETERY No.2

This could be him, do you have a service number for him from the "Hurt Certificate"?

Name:STEWART, DONALD

Initials:D

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit Text:Hood Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death:13/10/1917

Service No:Z/6661

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:I. P. 14.

Cemetery:LA BRIQUE MILITARY CEMETERY No.2

Donald Stewart's No is not on the certificate the only other name is Dermot Loughlin (I think) Surgeon R.N

his lance corporal who witnessed the injury Donald Stewart

This rank suggests that DS was probably a Marine like your grandfather

[The DS shown above was not a Marine, but RNVR]

It may help to know the date of the Hurt itself, and/or the date when the certificate was granted

Lt-Col G. H. Harrison RM was the commanding officer of the Divisional Engineers 27 May - 20 Dec 1916

His use of the rank of Major may indicate that the Hurt Certificate is from an earlier period (?) These things usually took some time to get issued (my grandfather's relates to a GSW received on 4th June 1915, however the Certificate for Wounds and Hurts was issued 7th April 1916)

PS; looking in Jerrold's history The Royal Naval Division I see that on different occasions he has Harrison as RM then RE

This should be re-checked by someone

Edited by michaeldr

It was probably this man:-

Acting Lance Corporal Donald STEWART, Deal/453(S), Royal Marines (R.N.D. Divisional Engineers). Transferred to Royal Engineers as Acting 2nd Corporal 207873, he was commissioned 28/7/17.

Possibly this man:-

Sapper Donald STEWART, Deal/5400(S), Royal Marines (R.N.D. Divisional Engineers). Ex-CZ/6746 RNVR he was transferred to Royal Engineers as 236074.

Attestation packs and RND Record Cards for both at the FAA Musuem.

My grandfather was wounded on the 18th June 1916 by a rifle grenade in the area around Bully-Grenay. The Hurt Certificate was issued on the 18th July 1916.Thanks for your responses Michaeldr and Horatio2 Joe was a Tyneside miner who never went back down the pit because of his injuries.

I wonder if the RND Engineers were on detached duty at that time (18 June 1916) as I think that the division did not move forward until a little later

Regarding Donald Stewart the Short Service marine corporal who later got a commission

I don't suppose he was a lawyer in Civi Street? MacMillan (as reproduced in Len Sellers' 'RND' magazine) has a lovely little story about a PO who was Court Marshaled for laying out 2 MPs in an estaminet when resisting arrest for drinking after 8pm. MacMillan says that the Prisoner's Friend was a corporal from the RND's engineers who had been a lawyer before the war. The charge was dismissed when the defence pointed out that the Navy allowed their men out an hour later than the Army, so the 2 policemen were in default. The General was not amused

regards

Michael

Jerrold records that the RND was in its final stages of training from mid-June 1916 in an area "due west of the IV Corps line". I would not be surprised if the RNDE were getting a look at the trenches during this period.

Len Sellers kindly photocopied the June 1916 War Diary of the RND Engineers. All three field companies were in the Bully-Grenay Hersin area .Sections I II and IV of the 2nd company were under "special instruction" of the CRE 47th Div.I soppose this is when my grandfather was wounded.