Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

40th Brigade RFA

chrisainsley

Hi everyone

my 1914 star relative was assigned to the 40th Brigade RFA (With 3RD Div)after the break up of the 30th Brigade RFA in May 1916

He was with 130th (H) battery

i am eagerly awaiting war diary for 30th Brigade up to May 1916 from NA

my question is does anyone know if the diary still exists for the 40th Brigade for the duration or from May 1916???

any assistance gratefully recieved

thanks all

chris

• 11 months later...

And thanks again!

Whoops couldn't locate it.....

Hello Mick (and Jim)

Do you mean you couldn't locate it online? That is probably so - I believe that the infantry war diaries are being given first priority for digitisation, so it may be a few years yet before they get round to the artillery.

But you should be able to order a copy online, or actually go to Kew and request the file quoted by Jay.

Good hunting!

Ron

Ron,

Do you mean that even though I have the catalog #'s that I probably cannot get them online because they have not been digitised yet? That makes sense.

I have been given the catalog # WO 95/1400 for the 40th brigade RFA. and catalog # WO 95/230 for 1/1 Lowland Heavy Battery RGA. and cannot pull them up. and cannot make the trip to NA. Any suggestions?

Thank You Sir.

Mick

Mick

If you post a specific question in this section of the Forum, asking if anyone has access to the War Diaries you mention, you may well be lucky, as there are several RFA and RGA experts here. Failing that, there is a section "Document repository" in another part of the Forum, and yet another section where professional researchers advertise their services. One of these will certainly be able to help you.

In all these cases, I suggest that you include details of any particular dates or incidents in the diaries in which you are interested. The actual volume and contents of the diaries vary considerably and it is best to limit searching to what you actually need to know.

Good luck!

Ron