Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain H R Gallatly, 62nd Bgde BM

armourersergeant

Hello,

I have exhausted the little utilities I have (1911 Army Lists, relevant 21st div War dairy, Times on line, DSO book part 1 etc) in regard to this officer.

All I can confirm is that he was in early to mid 1916 GSO3 for 21st division, taking up Brigade Major for 62nd just prior to 1st July 1916.

I would be grateful to know any information that anyone can supply, in particular susequent awards, the regiment he belonged to and so forth.

Regards

Arm

Probably Harold Rosenlew Gallatly born 1886 Finchley.

The son of John and Ellen Gallatly (nee Marshall). John was a Baltic Merchant and Agent.

1891 Census living in Finchley with parents and two siblings:

Dorothy Bareugh Gallatly b 1884 Finchley

Eric William Gallatly b 1888 Finchley

1911 Census living with father and sister at 40, Belsize Park, Hamstead occcupation Baltic Merchant's Clerk.

Married 1915 Dec Qtr Chelsea RD Sylvia Violet Scratchley

Marriage announcement in the Times 15th November 1915

Captain H. R Gallatly and Miss Scratchley

The marriage arranged between Captain Harold Rosenlew Gallatly, General Staff, second son of Mr John Gallatly, 40, Belsize Park, NW., and Sylvia Violet only daughter of Mr and Mrs Philip Scratchley, 34, Hans Road, SW, will take place during December, at Holy Trinity, Sloane Street.

Death Notice The Times 21st Oct 1930

GALLATLY - On October 17, 1930 suddenly at Villa Les Pins, Cap Ferat, A.M.. HAROLD ROSENLEW GALLATLY, M.C., husband of Violet Sylvia Gallatly.

Regards

Pam

there's a marriage record for a Harold R Gallatly to Sylvia V Scratchley in Chelsea in Q4 1915.

Found Harold Gallatly in the 1891 census aged 5 in Finchley. Son of John Gallatley a Baltic Merchant and Agent.

There's an LG reference to Harold Rosenlew Gallatly 22 Sept 1914 :

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/28...s/7486/page.pdf

Harold R Gallatly Temp 2nd Lt to Temp Capt

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/290...s/1813/page.pdf

Thanks both.

How stupid do I feel Chris? Thats my website and I missed the reference to Gallatly in the Sharpe peice. I did a search for his name on line and it did not bring up any hits! But atleast I know when he left the brigade, just to find where now.

Slinking off to corner for missing that one...doh!

Regards

Arm

Johnny and Pam,

Many thnaks for those links etc. All helps to build up a picture.

Apart from stupidity, I wonder why I never seem to glean anything from the London Gazette?

Regards

Arm