Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Church of the Sacred Heart, Hull

michaeldr

Chaplain Fourth Class, the Rev Father William Joseph Finn died with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers at V Beach, Helles, Gallipoli, on 25th April 1915

From http://middlesbrough-diocese.org.uk/parish...cred-heart-hull

The church was built in 1926-7 and paid for by Councillor Frank Finn KCSG, Lord Mayor of Hull, as a memorial to his brother Fr William Finn, killed as a chaplain in World War I in heroic circumstances. [KCSG = Knight Commander of the Order of St. Gregory the Great, awarded to Frank Finn by Pope Pius XI]

Does anyone have a photograph of this memorial church?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Thanks Peter

always nice to see, and I shall be back there to pay my respects again a little later this year.

I was interested to see the church though, as it must constitute one of the most unusual, if not the largest, memorial to a single casualty.

best regards

Michael

• 3 years later...
Guest Kirkdale

Hello Michael, I am Marian Kirkham I live in Bridlington, my mum was Patricia Finn, daughter of Austin, brother of William and Frank. I am so intrigued to know about William as ny mum never told me when she was alive, I only found out when the local Father from our church came to sort my dad's funeral.....and he told me about Father Finn. Kind regards Marian

Marian,

How nice of you to get in touch. The late priest in the village where my father lives went to the same college as Father Finn, and he introduces me to his story.

Though at different times, they had both been at Ushaw College, County Durham. Father Finn's name is on the college War Memorial and they also have there an oil painting of the River Clyde at V Beach, Gallipoli. The painting was done by Frank Mason RBA and it was presented to the college by Father Finn's sister, Mary Holland.

If you can send me a PM with your e-mail address I shall be happy to send you some more details

with best regards

Michael

• 1 year later...

Hello Mirian.

My name is Lawrence Casey. My aunt in Ireland is married to Chris Finn a descendant of Father William Finn and Frank Finn, who built the Sacred Heart Church in Hull in Williams memory. Mirian if you would like to contact your Irish relatives or just for a chat please feel free to email or text me on

I live just down the road a few steps from you in Hull.

Kind regards

Lawrence

Hi All, Lawrence and Marian in particular.

I'm doing a series of articles about the Market Weighton War Memorial and the stories behind the names on it, for the local paper, the Pocklington Post. Father Finn was parish priest in Market Weighton and is named on the memorial. This week's paper should feature a brief piece about Father Finn.

Edited 19 June 2014: it's next week's edition, not this weeks

Hello Steve. Not a lot I can add to what you know. As I have stated my aunt Anne at my father's side is married to Chriss Finn and live in Cappagh, Co Mayo. Ireland, who is a relative of Father William Finn and Councler Frank Finn.

I do not know how true it is but I have read on a WW1 forum that Father Finn was put forward for a VC for going onto the beach with his men while wounded, because he said they needed him, but because he was a Catholic priest and due to the unrest in Ireland at that time, he could not be considered. If you wish to contact me Steve do so via email .

(Email address removed) 

Kind regards Lawrence

Above picture is of the Finn's home in Cappagh, Co ,Mayo

post-47183-0-00200200-1403439687_thumb.j

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 20/02/2010 at 05:15, michaeldr said:

Chaplain Fourth Class, the Rev Father William Joseph Finn died with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers at V Beach, Helles, Gallipoli, on 25th April 1915

From http://middlesbrough-diocese.org.uk/parish...cred-heart-hull

The church was built in 1926-7 and paid for by Councillor Frank Finn KCSG, Lord Mayor of Hull, as a memorial to his brother Fr William Finn, killed as a chaplain in World War I in heroic circumstances. [KCSG = Knight Commander of the Order of St. Gregory the Great, awarded to Frank Finn by Pope Pius XI]

Does anyone have a photograph of this memorial church?

Thanks in advance

Michael

This is crazy. But the finn's in my line got estranged. But my grandpa Tom's brother name is "Francis William Finn" , he died outing molesting priest's, so I've only known my gpa.

BBUT, HIS DADS NAME IS FRANK FINN, AND FRANK WAS BORN IN MASS.

is there anyway you could help me thread this crazy needle?