Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Audubon Eric Palfreyman-RFC-27 Squadron

deanstalton

• 2 weeks later...
Question

Captain A E Palfreyman was on recommendation for the military cross from report from his CO

but did he recieve it? if not Why?

anyway of finding out? report

Dean

Does anyone know if the RAF archives contain letters recommending the award of a Military Cross? - even where one was not eventually awarded? If so, that would be very interesting to get hold of

Annabela

Hi,

Leutnant Diether Collin is buried at the German Mil Cem of Menen, Grave C/826

Cnock

Hi

do you know if the German pilots generally - or this one in particular - left any memoirs or accounts that could be accessed?

Annabela

Hi Annabela

I don't know the answer to your questions, i'm sure some of the war in the air experts will try and help you.

I will e-mail you with the information i know

Dean

• 3 weeks later...
Dean

Capt A E Palfreyman & Lt W G Hurrell, flying in DH 4 A7840, were credited with a Pfalz D.III (red front of fuselage, remainder camouflaged) crashed south of Douai at 10:45 on 20 May 1918. It appears that the German pilot survived.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Red nose Pfalz, rest camo sounds very much like Jasta 47w. Unfortunately, I won't be home until the end of May to check the Jasta war diary, but that may provide an identity.

Cheers,

shredward

Thanks Shredward

does the jasta war diary have any mentions of Jasta 56 (23rd May 1918)Lieutenant Dieter Collin

would you let me know if it does when you get home (end of May)

Dean

• 3 weeks later...

Remembering Today

In Memory Of

Captain Audubon Eric Palfreyman of 27 Squadron who died 23rd May 1918

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

The Soldier's Walk organisation have a brochure & map of the Soldiers Walk, and Capt AE Palfreyman's portrait is shown on the front.

If you pm me your mailing details I'll mail you a copy!

Jim

Hello Dean,

Rick's Jasta War Diaries don't show a loss for that day, 20 May. As we know, that's not unusual. However, Jasta 47w was based at Lomme by Lille in that period, they were operating the Pfalz DIII, and the unit marking was red nose, brown body, so I would guess that fits the picture.

The Diary for Ja56 credits Leutnant Dieter Collin with DH4 A7840 of 27 Sqn RAF over Maria-Aaltar at 09:30 on May 23. Capt AE Palfreyman KiA, 2 Lt WI Crawford PoW.

Cheers,

shredward

• 7 years later...

William Irvine Crawford was my Paternal Grandfather he was the Observor shot down with Capt Palfreyman. He came back from the war with nearly every bone in his body broken. He was a big man and strong which is how he survived. He died after being knocked down by a car crossing the road.He was 74. He only flew in a commercial aircraft once when flying back to Scotland to see his dying wife - he remarked to my Father "I have flown this high" 

William Irvine Crawford.jpg

Hi Dorothy,

Welcome to GWF.

Brave men.

An interesting story and photo. 

Just to check - who is the photograph of?

Always best to ask, and not to assume!

M

Dorothy

In case you don't know, 2Lt W I Crawford was the observer in DH4 B2110, flown by Lt Charles Henry Gannaway, on 22 April 1918, when the aeroplane was hit by anti-aircraft fire; both airmen were unhurt.

Lt Gannaway was killed in action on 16 June 1918 when flying DH4 7597 with Sgt W E A Brooks.

Gareth

Edited by Dolphin

On 26/02/2010 at 09:58, deanstalton said:

At Last Found Something

William Ivan Crawford-Medal Card-Observer

Dean

Dean & Dorothy

MIC a handy lead - You may already know this [If I'm correct hereafter!!!]

WILLIAM IRVINE CRAWFORD

Commissioned King's Royal Rifle Corps - London Gazette - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30335/supplement/10590

KRRC -  LG - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30727/page/6592

POW record - ICRC - https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/fr/File/Zoom/E/04/01/C_G1_E_04_01_0157/C_G1_E_04_01_0157_0162.JPG/

Relinquishes Commission (wounds) - LG - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31708/page/16040 [Seems likely to be the right officer]

M

Dorothy,

I assume it is you who have created a fairly detailed Private tree on Ancestry about William Irvine Crawford. It looks as though you have done a good deal of research and have some interesting photos- but they can only be accessed by asking you !

Charlie

5 hours ago, durham dave said:

what is the triplane in 61

thanks Dave

It's a Caproni Ca. 52, a variant of the Ca. 42 series, six of which [N526 - N531] were built for the RNAS/RAF and flown by No 227 Squadron over the Adriatic. 

Gareth

Edited by Dolphin

Hello everyone. Thank you for all the information. The photo is indeed William Irvine Crawford  - not Ivan he is my Paternal Grandfather. Nearly every bone in his body was broken in the crash. I had no idea about the other crash in April Thank you Dolphin. He lived until the age of 74 but never spoke of his days in the war. I still have his knee pad that they strapped to their legs when making notes. Amazing men.