Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'B.W.' Head

Desmond7

BW head - does this signify 'bayonet wound' or 'bomb wound' or ... what?

post-1582-1266494065.jpg

Only one thing - normally it's GSW for gun shot?

This was an Australian bloke - do you know if the Aus method of recording wounds was different?

Thansk for suggestions by the way.

Des

Whichever it was for it to be severely wounded yet discharged within a month says something about his toughness and meteoric rise from Sgt to 2nd Lt!!

Lt. J. M. Boyd, Australian Light Horse, is promoted to the rank of captain for distinguished service and gallantry in the field during the recent Palestine Operations.

The squadron of which he was in command carried out their work very successfully, capturing two guns and many prisoners. Later, he with 60 men, rode down an enemy convoy and cut through them, capturing 350 prisoners and several wagons. Captain Boyd joined the Light Horse as a private in September 1914 and has since been on active service. He was wounded at Gallipoli. He is a son of Mrs. W. Boyd, Waveney Road, Ballymena, Co. Antrim.

Ends up as Major. I am going through his papers at the moment.

post-1582-1266578522.jpg

Tom - I think people reading 'sev.' on his papers opposite the word 'wounded' ... although it could be read as 'winded'?? :o

Whichever it was for it to be severely wounded yet discharged within a month says something about his toughness and meteoric rise from Sgt to 2nd Lt!!

Perhaps a grazing wound to the skull, or a shallow penetrating wound caused by an almost spent bullet. A man might recover from the impact trauma of such an experience in 3 weeks, but it seems a short time for a significant wound to heal. Some resonances of MvR's head wound, and it seems Boyd may have been similarly impatient to return to the fray.

Looking closely at the note above, I think it does actually say "Winded Sev."

On the majority of casualty lists that I have seen, BW was mostly bayonet wound. Of course this could be a serious injury if anywhere near the temple or nape of the neck

More from papers.

Mentioned in d's etc etc

Bardess - you saying BW is a regular Aus. designation for bayonet wound? If so it means this guy was up close and personal .. which will add greatly to my yarn!!

post-1582-1266592228.jpg