Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guide Price Advice

dave hanks

Hello

There is a general sale here on soon and listed as 1 lot is a trio and plaque to Pte Frank Bryce 20324 Yorks Reg, KIA 19/12/1915, and a pair to Pte J Yates 5-4592 Northumberland Fus. Medical discharged 19/1/1917. I checked the medal cards and they seem genuine.

I am going to the viewing on Friday and if OK, I am thinking of leaving a bid. I'm new to this medal collecting, and would like the Bryce medals to research, as he was a local man.

Question is how much do I bid? I've seen prices on ebay, but most of the sellers appear to be dealers, so wouldn't probably give a realistic auction price.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Dave

If its a 15 star trio + plaque around £175-200 if a 14 star trio £200-250 + . The pair is worth approx £30. These are based on internet auctions, dealers would charge considerably more. If there are any extras such as the scroll or the boxes the value can be higher. If you are in Yorkshire where there will be Yorkshire rgt collectors expect the group to go to the higher side of the value.

I aggre with the value, auctions however often go a lot higher as people beleive it is new to the market so they go for a lot more , it is actually cheaper sometimes to buy direct from dealers , i am sure some do this then enter it in the local auction to the medals and make a good profit!!

Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r:

Blimey..Looking at £300 top end for the lot? They havn't given a guide price for them. Usually do if the lots valued over £100! They sold a 1915 silver trench watch a couple of months ago for £40.

You never know........

Local Auction realised prices can vary considerably a lot thought only to be "worth" a few pounds could make considerably more it two local collectors fight over it {especially if they rely on local sources for their collecting~not everyone has www links!!}~I suspect the lack of valuation is in keeping with the Flog It school of Auctioneering ~~ "A Come & Buy Me" enticement I wouldnt be surprised if they made £300 +... it will depend on how many Medal Orientated buyers are there on the day Happy Hunting!!

HB

With all due respect I think these prices are a bit low. Good Line Regt Trio Plaque-£300-400-I guess you might snipe one in the high £200 mark with a fair wind. Pair and Plaque £175-225. I agree pair if you are lucky £30 but most are £35 plus.

Auctions are a lottery depending on who is there on the day, phone lines, online advertising of the catalogue etc etc.

and then there is commission. For 15%+VAT on the commission I work on adding £20 for every £100 bid.

Good Luck

Mark

If its a 15 star trio + plaque around £175-200 if a 14 star trio £200-250 + . The pair is worth approx £30. These are based on internet auctions, dealers would charge considerably more. If there are any extras such as the scroll or the boxes the value can be higher. If you are in Yorkshire where there will be Yorkshire rgt collectors expect the group to go to the higher side of the value.

Good morning Dave,

If you possibly can I'd try and attend the actual auction, not just the viewing. If there's no phone or internet bidding, with the forecast of snow you may get a poor turnout and pick them up cheaper than anticipated or have to pay just a few more pounds than the bid that you would have left (and otherwise been disappointed).

Good luck !

Thank all for you for your help. I am having difficulty getting my head around auction prices. I always thought the auction price is what you would pay, 'Trade', not the retail price from a shop. I could imagine walking into a high street shop and paying £300 for a trio and a plaque, but not at auction, (proper one, not ebay). Then again I have never bought medals before. Seems to me that ebay prices are not auction prices, but retail prices.

I will go to view tomorrow and leave a bid, just in case I can't get there for the forecast snow.

I will let you know how I get on.

Again, Thanks.

Dave

Dave,

That's the dilema with auctions. Sometimes you pick up very cheap groups othertimes you pay well over the odds.

Mark

Thank all for you for your help. I am having difficulty getting my head around auction prices. I always thought the auction price is what you would pay, 'Trade', not the retail price from a shop. I could imagine walking into a high street shop and paying £300 for a trio and a plaque, but not at auction, (proper one, not ebay). Then again I have never bought medals before. Seems to me that ebay prices are not auction prices, but retail prices.

I will go to view tomorrow and leave a bid, just in case I can't get there for the forecast snow.

I will let you know how I get on.

Again, Thanks.

Dave

Yes, inversely that is why the 'experts' on the daytime "sell your stuff" shows (that is, when they don't massively undervalue items such as militaria) look so crestfallen when they say (for sake of argument) 150 quid - based on retail - and when it comes up at the provincial saleroom of Dingy, Dusty and Dark it sells for fifty quid - to the trade.

£175 - £200 is no way Line Regiment price for a Trio & plaque !

You'd get a pair & plaque for that.

Trio & plaque avearge price - £285-£325 (maybe more depending on Regt etc)

Neil

Saw a pair and plaque to a late 1918 casualty yesterday. A fair price was asked at £175. I agree some of the earlier prices quted seem on the low side. I side with above poster.

TT

It was a 15 star trio, with original boxes for the plaque and medals. Came from a house clearance, so both sets of medals probably had a connection. Suppose if you sold the pair for £30.00, £240 for the trio would be a bargain. Don't want to get involved in that can of worms though.

Keep Looking

Dave

Don't forget the £50 commission plus VAT! Still reasonable in my book.

Hi Dave

You have to remember the commission and V.A.T brought the price up to approx £340 so not so much of a bargain. I had researched the group and there was nothing special other than him living locally, he wasn't however born in Scarborough. I was in the room bidding and had to be realistic i stopped at £260 and let them go for £270.

Dugglebys always seem to realise good prices for the medals but have to agree it is better to be in the room bidding just in case.

If it's a group to the Yorks Regt you are after there is a pair and plaque on one of the dealers sites for £190.

Harley

Thanks for that Harley

I knew he wasn't from Scarborough, born in Barnsley I think. But he was in his 40's when killed, and a week before Christmas too which made it a bit special.

I realised I was out of my depth from the posts on here. I'll keep pestering the medal guy in Filey!

Did you buy the Hardy reel? Lot 187? And I thought medal collecting was a can of worms.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Dave

The man in Filey hardly gets anything in these days. Richard is a better bet near the Grand Hotel very fair,however he is struggling to replace his stock. Have you looked at Chris Dixon's at Bridlington he gets some nice things in and again fairly reasonable and also keep a lookout at DHA auctions at Driffield.

Also try the collectables fairs round and about you can pick up some good deals especially if someone is just going off the book price, but leave some bargains for me.

I left before Lot 187 didn't want to get out of my depth!

Harley

Had a look in the window @ Richard, but never been in. Never heard of Chris Dixon, where is he? Will have a look next time south,

Have you tried the Aladins Cave @ Bempton?

Dixon's are at Bridlington 23 Prospect St. on the 1st floor above the shops you cannot see them from ground level on the road. They are the main dealer in the area been in business years. If you subscribe to their gazette (i think it's about £20 for the year) you get a chance of buying them before they put them on line. Have a look at their website for an idea they have some very expensive groups but also some reasonable.

I haven't heard of the Aladin's cave @ Bempton will have to have a look.Do they have original medals or just militaria?

Chris Dixon always has a large amount of stock and comes highly reccomended by me.

He's a top bloke aswell.

Neil

Don't know what the link was with Pte Bryce and Pte Yates there may or may not be one as there was also a safe driving and st johns badge 1962 in with them named to a Leonard Bracewell.

Did you look Lot 145 there was a ww1 pair in with some watches and gold cufflinks etc. I hadn't seen what name was on them but someone told me they were a Yorks & Lancs pair.