Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Soldier's Suicide

BMoorhouse

Help...

Does any one know where I might find details of Australian soldiers that committed suicide in the UK.

Would there be local inquest reports?

Any help would be brilliant. (I never cease to be amazed at the knowledge of many of the contributors!)

Brendon.

Brendon

Your best bet would be the local newspapers if you know the location of the mans death. Coroners hearings were often reprted.

Terry Reeves

Terry,

Thanks - the local paper was where I found reference to the soldier - but they didn't give his name.

I have tried the Australian Commonwealth War Graves people who were very helpful, and I think that I have narrowed down the number of potential people to about 3.

Would the Australians have more info on this? Where would be the best point of contact there?

Brendon.

Brendon,

I was recently stationed in the area of Salisbury plain, wilts. Tidworth Mil Cem has a number of Aussies and Kiwis in it from the great war. Perhaps if you approached town halls in either Bulford, Amesbury, Tidworth or Salisbury you may have some luck.

Iain McHenry

Brendon

In that case try and match the nearest date of the newspaper report to any of the Australian gravestones in the area. Bit of a job I must admit.

For anybody passing through Tidworth, take some time out to viist the CWGC cemetery there. It is an interesting place for a whole number of reasons as you will see.

Terry Reeves

The Wiltshire County Record Office is at County Hall, Trowbridge BA 14 8 JG.

They have Salisbury City inquest papers 1876-1974. They are subject to a 75-year closure rule. (Salisbury City may mean exactly that).

This info from a book that is 10-years old.

Hi Brendon

One research tool that I've found useful is the Red Cross forms on the Australian War Memorial Website.

While it mainly deals with soldiers who were prisoners or missing, I have found that it is worth searching as it sometimes gives unexpected information.

Cae in point was a Fremantle soldier in the 5th Light Horse Regiment who died in Palestine who I was researching.

His name came up in the Red Cross files and it turns out that he committed suicide.

His family must have written for more information regarding his death and the responses from his fellow soldiers explained what happened.

Failing that, many of the men on the AWM's Honour Roll have next of kin sheets filled out which also can give vital information.(Though you'll need Adobe Acrobat to download it)

It might be worth checking the three names you have to see if any fit the bill

http://www.awm.gov.au

or get the service records from the National Archives of Australia. This is probably pretty cheap for you guys in the UK due to the current exchange rate.

http://www.naa.gov.au

Good Luck with it.

Cheers

Andrew

I'm currently tracking details of a british soldier who commited suicide whilst home on leave. My local library suggested that the Law Society may hold inquest transcripts from that time or know where to obtain them. I haven't followed it up yet but it may be worth a phone call.