Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Battalion, The Connaught Rangers

mhifle

• 10 months later...

Hi there,

My grandfather was apparently in the Connaught Rangers but how do I find out what Battalion please?

His number was 4857.  Any advice very gratefully received

Thank you :-) :-)

Hazel

4thBatKilcummins.pdf

The record that you have found on Ancestry shows that for some of his time in the Connaught Rangers he was in the 2nd battalion. generally it is best to start an new topic in Soldiers, as there isn't any obvious reason to link him with the 4th battalion.

Welcome to the Forum

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

This is remarkable information on the 4th Bn as a home service reserve bn. Usually neglected in regimental histories What is the source ? (TNA like the 3rd Bn ?)

• 1 year later...

Hi 

Would love some direction.

Your information lists my ggg grandfather was Hugh D Mckay as part of 4, census also matches that but I've only started too delve this side as was my other side I knew nothing of but seems lots of this info is new to all left living,. 

I dont think I read of him.injured/dying in all your info. 

How do I find some info myself.

Thank you so much for such details its really helpful and fascinating 😊 

2 hours ago, Ddillon said:

Hi 

Would love some direction.

Your information lists my ggg grandfather was Hugh D Mckay as part of 4, census also matches that but I've only started too delve this side as was my other side I knew nothing of but seems lots of this info is new to all left living,. 

I dont think I read of him.injured/dying in all your info. 

How do I find some info myself.

Thank you so much for such details its really helpful and fascinating 😊 

Hello. Welcome to the forum. Apart from the Army Lists recording Hugh in the 4th Battalion, Connaught Rangers, Ancestry hold his Medal Rolls for the 1914-1915 Star which lists his 'Date of Disembarkation' in France as the 19/03/1915. On this document Hugh is recorded as a Lieutenant. Also held is Hugh's Medal Roll for the Victory Medal and British War Medal where he is listed as a Captain. 

Edited by Gunner 87

4 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hello. Welcome to the forum. Apart from the Army Lists recording Hugh in the 4th Battalion, Connaught Rangers, Ancestry hold his Medal Rolls for the 1914-1915 Star which lists his 'Date of Disembarkation' in France as the 19/03/1915. On this document Hugh is recorded as a Lieutenant. Also held is Hugh's Medal Roll for the Victory Medal and British War Medal where he is listed as a Captain. 

So the info above states still going in 1921 

Maybe I'm reading wrong I will go back today and go through again. 

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Hello Mhifle

I have been reading though your history of the Connaught Rangers.  I found two references to Patrick Maher (P.Maher).  I am guessing that this is my wife's grandfather who was (family lore tells us) was killed in an ambush by the IRA.

They are:

16 August 1914 Sgt P. Maher and Lieutenant H Q Irwin and four men posted to Albert Quays Cork. To take up Railway Transport duties.

23 October Sgt. P. Maher D company promoted Quarter Master Sgt.

I know my next request is a little perverse since your data based is dated 1914 onwards!  But I was hoping to find reference to the battalion being stationed in Malta circa 1907.  My wife's mother was born in the military hospital there.

As to the murder - was he a "Black and Tan" by the 1920s?  

My wife's grandmother was left with five children amongst them a pilot officer who trained pilots in Canada in WWII and another a fighter pilot shot down in France and rescued by a farming family one of whose daughters eventually married him.  Mrs Maher (of necessity perhaps) went on to marry a new husband and had five more children.  She lived to 102.