Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rum Jars

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Can anyone point me in the direction of any book or article dealing with 'Rum' or more appropriately storage jars that were marked SRD (Supply Reserve Depot - I know that much).

Thanks,

Ian

B)

Ian,

I know of no good Rum Jar articles. However, here is a bit of research I've been able to gather:

Bottle is the official term of what we, and WWI soldiers, call Rum jugs or jars.

Although, this would mean nothing to the soldiers other than ASC men. SRD stood for "Supply Reserve Depot". In WWI the depot was at Deptford. Deptford became a huge clearing facility for these bottles. The IWM has one with the red wax seal remaining stating "Supply Reserve Depot" and others exist in private collections. Usually a tag was also affixed descibing the content, this was especially inportant for the non 1 gallon bottles.

"Service Rum Diluted" is soldiers slang that has become for many (including WWI O.R.s)the official meaning. It is as official as "Seldom Reaches Destination" or "Special Ration Dept", etc. The Rum in the bottle was not diluted.

Rum in the bottle was issued "neat". That is undiluted

at about 80% vol/160 US proof. The daily issue, if allowed, was 1/64th Gallon , which to a Jack Tar was the exact same 1/8th pint Pusser's rum issue which was the "ToT" that made up the "grog" by dilution with water.

The English Volume of an SRD bottle that contained Rum was one Gallon.

SRD is commonly found on a multitude of sized Stoneware bottles, which were used to store other liquids besides Rum. Officially, liquids like acids, oils and ink could be stored in SRD bottles. In most cases because storing in Stoneware bottles was better than metal containers. Also SRD can be found on other type containers not meant to be destroyed, but instead reused such as glass bottles and other containers.

The inventory tracking and descriptive price guide of these bottles can be found in the "Priced Vocabulary of Stores used in His Majesty's Service. Part I. Land Service Stores and Stores common to Land and Naval Services". This document was usually published every two years.

In this document is the following on bottles usually marked SRD:

In part 9B--Packages, Oil and Paint &c, .

This part lists packages and containers common to army and Navy use and the prices charged (i.e. replacement costs.)

Stone ware-Bottles are listed as such (1909 prices):

2 Gallons 1s 3d.

1 Gallon 7d

1/2 Gallon 5d

1 quart 3 3/4 d

1 pint 1 3/4d.

1/2 pint 1 1/2d.

The 1 Gallon through 1 pint specifications are found in List of Changes specification number 933.

The 1/2 pint in LoC number 1180.

LoC number 933 was approved between 6 June and 18 Aug 1864 with an issue in Army Circular dated 1 October 1864.

LoC number 1180 was approved between 14 Oct. 1864 and 7 Mar 1866 with an issue in Army Circular dated 16 April 1866.

In addition these were charged as is, stoppered or covered (wicker, capped with cane). The latter introduced via LoC 10346 (19 Sept 1900 to 22 Oct 1900 with an issue in Army Circular dated 1 Dec 1900). Also this LoC introduced a 3 gallon version.

Hope this is of interest.

Joe Sweeney

Ian,

I am not sure of a specific book or website but here is some info.

The usual size is 1 gallon but a smaller 1/2 gallon size can also be found, they can still be found easily today and occasionally with the original whicker basket covering or carry-handle.

I remember John at the Shell Hole in Ypres telling me a story years ago of a complete and still full of Rum example being sold at auction for a huge price - if I remember correctly it was bought by George Murphy (of 'George and Mildred' etc fame) a keen Great War enthusiast.

I have never seen a definitive answer as to as to whether 'SRD' officially stood for 'Supply Reserve Depot' or 'Special Rations Distribution'. As usual the Tommies made up their own various meanings such as; 'Service Rum Diluted', 'Soon Runs Dry' or 'Seldom Reaches Destination'! - there are others.

As I say, I know of no specific article but there are endless references in many of the common Great War text books/reference books/novels/memoirs etc.

Joe, you beat me to it - I bow to your superior knowledge - I think you have supplied all the info one could hope to find out!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Joe/Giles,

Many thanks for the comprehensive information.

Joe have you ever thought of adding this information to a website?

Ian :)

I would add that there were a vast number of suppliers of rum jars, and I am sure people will be aware of having seen different fonts used for the those famous SRD initials.

I once spent a fascinating half hour beside Suvla bay with half a dozen fellow pilgrims going through a "dump" of rum jar pieces during which time we amassed assorted Ss Rs and Ds and more interestingly a selection of perhaps a dozen or more makers stamps from the bits of bases of jars we found. Someone suggested that there was scope for a study and publication on rum jar manufacturers and their stamps and I can see that we are probably about to embark on just that.

What manufacturers stamps have you seen?

rum-jar.jpg

Hello was trying to find back a web site with a collection wwi of rum jars

Did not found it back however found this instead .

The letters S.R.D.-Special Red Demerara, 86-proof Jamaican rum.

Aha ….that seems the first time I see this explanation for the letters S.R.D

And this site with a collection of Rum Jars, but it was not the site I was looking for.

Chio

Patrick

http://www.gallipolidigger.com/gallipolidi....museum.ing.htm

SRD COLLECTION

A veteran assured me that the nearest thing to SRD available today is Wood's Navy Rum. It's 70% pure alcohol and it's a serious drink to be smoked with proper cigarettes like Capstan Full Strength. A breakfast cup of Woods and one would fight anyone.