Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Times on Line access

armourersergeant

I am always able to log on via my library card from either Warwickshire or Northamptonshire but on both mine and my wifes card via either it will not log me on! it is saying it will not recognise the card number through Infotrac.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards

Arm

I can't either. I've always been able to access it before. My local library says that the county system is down. Maybe it's a wider fault than they know.

Hope this helps.

Gwyn (Cheshire East)

Gwyn,

Many thanks, just checked my local library and it says the same thing. Obviously a fault. At least I know it is not me.

Thanks

Arm

Can't access through library card in Lancashire either

Peter

Not from this corner of Cheshire East. Grrr.

Neither from Sunny Northamptonshire....arrrgh!

Regards

Arm

Good & Bad news. I spoke to Surrey CC Libraries first thing this morning and they've just rung me back. They've confirmed that there is a problem on the Gale (Infotrac) side; Gale are aware that there is a problem and are actively working on fixing it, unfortunately they have no idea of just how long it's likely to be before things get back to normal.

NigelS

:rolleyes:

thanks for the update

Arm

Thank you, Nigel!

While free is better :), I had a brilliant £8-worth from the Guardian Archives online.

Gwyn

Gwyn

Does Guardian Archives have Casualty lists mid 1917 onwards that gives those wounded, prisoners etc as well as those killed/DoW?

Times do not (apart from occasional ones) and the only place so far that I have identified holding the Weekly Casualty Lists is the British Library. Unfortunately not on line.

Hywyn

I don't know. I've never looked. You can search the Guardian Archives free; you have to buy a subscription period in order to download the pieces you want.

Guardian Digital Archives

Gwyn

Hywyn

I've not checked thoroughly but I seem to recall that neither the Guardian nor the Observer carried weekly 'national' casualty lists.

Check your Library access because Cambridgeshire Libraries (lucky me :D ) now has free online access to the Guardian archives as well as the Times (which is still working :whistle:).

Regards

Steve

Thanks Gwyn.

Thanks Steve. I don't think they do either but with Gwyn stating that she had recently been on it I rthough I would ask in case she was looking for same stuff. Thanks to Aled I'm now aware that National Library of Wales allow access to Times and the Gale 19th C stuff. Didn't spot the Guardian there but I will have another look as it's virtually impossible to spot everything in one visit with so many pages and links etc.

Hywyn

Can't get the Guardian in Surrey either; is that accessed through Gale or somebody else? I recall reading a while back that a system whereby any library card could be used to access any library's services throughout the country without the need to register each time was to be introduced, although whether this would also apply to the remote 'on-line' stuff wasn't made clear.

I always feel that I ought to be wearing a dirty mack and be viewing furtively when I visit the Surrey Libraries 'on line' reference section: it's titled 'Adult online reference shelf' :whistle: although it doesn't - least as far as I've been able to ascertain - contain any 'top shelf' or 'brown wrapper' type material.

NigelS