Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Batt King's Liverpool Regt

TonyWBaxter

Hi.

Can anybody help me. My grand dad James Edgar Baxter No9274 was a corporal in 1912 in the 2nd Batt Kings Liverpool Regt. By 1914 he was a sergeant in the North West Frontier Provence with his Yorkshire wife. They had a son born there in 1914. In 1916 my dad was born out there. I have the Baptism certificate. Grand dad is now down to corporal again. On the back of the certificate it states its been entered in the regimental records Peshawar 22-9-1916.

I would like to find out anything about grand dads time out in India and also the condidions for my grand mother. I am not sure when they came back to Yorkshire.

Yours thankfuly

TonyWBaxter

• 1 year later...

Hi Tony,

Is this on any use?

2nd Battalion

August 1914 : in Peshawar in India. Part of 1st (Peshawar) Brigade, 1st (Peshawar) Division of Indian Army. Remained in India throughout the war. Moved to 10th Brigade in 4th (Quetta) Division December 1917.

Gordon.

Tony,

He is in the 1914-15 Medal Roll as being awarded the 1914-15 Star for action on the North West Frontier from April 1915, and Aug to Oct. 1915.

He would have been awarded the British War and Victory Medal along with the India General Service Medal.

All the best,

Paul.

Tony,

Forgot to add that on the roll his rank is given as Sergeant the roll being compiled at Preston 20/12/1919.

All the best,

Paul.

That is very interesting, I didn`t know the 2nd battalion where entitled to a trio, I just assumed they`d have got the BWM only. Where they involved in any battles?

In April 1915 2nd King’s were in action against Mohmand tribesmen from across the frontier and on 18th April a considerable action was fought; all companies of the battalion were in action and the enemy checked. 2nd King’s had one O.R. killed, one officer (Major R.P. Fox) and 3 O.R. wounded.

After the action the column was withdrawn to Peshawar.

29th August The Khyber Column was again called out and on 5th September fought in the biggest frontier action for over 30 years facing an enemy of Mohmands and Shinawaris some 18,000 strong.

All the above taken from Wyrall’s “The History of The King’s Liverpool Regiment 1914-1919”

All the best,

Paul.

The man K.I.A. on the 18th April was Private 11233 James Holmes from Workington in Cumberland.

In the battle of 5th September it looks like 2nd King’s lost 6 men K.I.A. and one listed as died.

Paul.

• 3 years later...

Ladies/Gents,

Does anyone know whether the 2nd Btn Liverpool Regiment were issued a set of numbers (is it possible to confirm a men served with the 2nd Btn from his regimental number?).

Gordon.

Gordon

1st & 2nd Bns KLR shared the same number range.

Hi I have just won a medal to pte 2nd garrison batt the kings liverpool rgt.his number was 2734.done little bit of research so far demobed in the manchester rgt.prior 1st border on medal roll entitled to kings soth africa medal and clasp 1902 1902 roll signed of plymouth 1902