Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

? Harrison

Chris

Hi all.

Hope you can help. The attached photo is of a relative from a distant branch of the family. What we know is as follows. His surname was Harrison, but we have no first name. He had a younger sister MArgaret (possibly born 1894), his father was Robert and his mother Selina. We believe that in 1901 the family lived at 110 Fosse Road, Leicester, but unfortunately a trip to Leicester library showed the census return for that street was either missing/unavaialable. Kelly directory lists them at 1900 at this address. Can anyone get me a first name for the man in the photo, and possibly identify any isignia on the photo.

Regards

Chris

post-1-1084487509.jpg

This gentleman appears to be a Bombadier in the Royal Field Artillery. I would guess the photo is circa WW1 although some of the uniform experts may be able to help further. The medal ribbon is somewhat unclear but may be a Kings South Africa medal indicating that he may have served in the Boer War. I am unsure of the insignia on the sleeve but I'm sure one of our Royal Artillery experts will be able to assist.

Regards

Tim D

This gentleman appears to be a Bombadier in the Royal Field Artillery.  I would guess the photo is circa WW1 although some of the uniform experts may be able to help further.  The medal ribbon is somewhat unclear but may be a Kings South Africa medal indicating that he may have served in the Boer War.  I am unsure of the insignia on the sleeve but I'm sure one of our Royal Artillery experts will be able to assist. 

Regards

Tim D

The Medal ribbon would I expect not to be the KSA as it was not awarded alone {except in a handful of cases to mostly Nurses}it is more likely to be a 1914 Star Ribbon,as this was worn in uniform from late on in the War:: The Divisional badge @ the shoulder appears to be a Welsh dragon?? in Dark{RED?] felt

Guest Bob Juno

Were Robert & Selina from Lincolnshire originally? There is a Selina Harrison in Leicester on the 1901 census index online, born in Lincolnshire, and also a Robert of a similar age (mid 30s) also born in Lincs. I haven't requested the sheet to confirm the address or that they have any connection, but I thought it might be your family.

Good luck with your research.

Thanks for the suggestions. In answere to your question Bob, i do not know if they came from Lincolnshire before 1901, elements of this branch of the family certainly lived in Lincolnshire post 1901, so it is likely/viable that Robert and Selina were born in Lincs, before moving to Leicester.

Regards

Chris

Guest Bob Juno

Chris,

I'm sure it would be worth you requesting that record from the Census On-Line, as your soldier's christian name will probably be on it if it's the correct family. I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Good Luck

Chris

The 1891 census has Robert (aged 25) and Selina (aged 26) Harrison living at 2, Fitzroy Street, ELiecester. Also resident are their daughter Ethel, aged 1, born Leicester and their 1 month old son who had no forename, so had not yet been registered.

Given the age of the parents, it is unlikely that they had any older children. Will continue looking for his name.

Regards

Stephen

Chris

Found them!

In the 1901 census, they live at 22, Kirby Road, Leicester. The son, now aged 10, is called William. Also there are the 7 year old daughter, Margaret. Ethel, who would only be 11, is not recorded at the address and neither is the father, Robert. But Selina is still recorded as being Married (not widowed) and related to the Head of the household as Wife.

Perhaps Robert simply spent census night elsewhere?

So it looks like our photograph is one William Harrison.

Regards

Stephen

The badge seems to be a variant of the 38th (Welsh) Divisional badge. This could make the soldier (especially as it seems to be a late-war photo) a member of CXXI brigade or CXXII brigade RFA. Alternatively, he could be a member of one of the division's trench mortar batteries.

Dave.

Hi.

Thank you very much Stephen and Dave. Having a first name Stephen is a real bonus, plus the info of age and addresses will really help; plus you have turned up the mystery of the elder sister, Ethel, someone we were never aware of before (new mystery to solve); so thank you very much for your time and trouble in getting me a first name, plus a big thanks to Dave for the isignia info (might be interested to know that MIC searched with William Harrison, Artillery gives 166 options. Thats this evening taken care of searching through the.

Thanks to both of you.

Chris