Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal ribbon photos

Muerrisch

6 hours ago, Laird of Camster said:

Could (a) be the Zulu war medal without clasp, perhaps? 

That's certainly possible as I think he was in the regiment by then, but the only Simpson I have found on the SAM roll is 3322 Pte G.H. SIMPSON, 3/KRRC, and our Sjt Master Tailor was G.W. SIMPSON.  It could be a mistake with the middle initial on the roll of course, so I'm progressing on that assumption.

Simpson served in both the 60th and the Rifle Brigade, ending his service with the latter.  He's described in 1904 as 21 years with the 60th and the Depot and 5 years with the RB.

Since posting the picture in 2010 my knowledge of medal etiquette has progressed(!) and of course the MSM would come after the British campaign medal, not before.  Also award of the MSM would mean a holder of the Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal would immediately stop wearing the latter, so (f) is certainly one or the other.  As both have very similar ribbon and scrolled suspender, I don't think we can be certain which is here, but the photo accompanies a report of his award of the MSM, so the MSM seems the more likely.

I haven't conclusively proved his service to my complete satisfaction yet, but the medals look like ...

a. South Africa Medal 1877-79 ("Zulu War Medal") - 3322 Rfn G.H. SIMPSON,3/KRRC

b: Egypt & Sudan Medal 1882-89 & 3 clasps - 3322 Rfn George SIMPSON,3/KRRC

c: Queen's Sudan Medal 1896-98 - 5338 Sjt Mr Tr G. SIMPSON, 2/RB

d: QSA - 5338 Sjt Mr Tailor George SIMPSON, 2/RB

e: KSA - 5338 Sgt G SIMPSON, 2/RB

f:  Meritorious Service Medal - Sjt Mr Tlr G.W. SIMPSON, RB

g: Khedive's Sudan Medal (pairs with b)

h: Khedive's Star (pairs with c)

It looks like when he retired Simpson became a Yeoman Warder of the Tower of London.

Edited by MBrockway